TOUGHEST FOOTBALL DIVISION IN TENNESSEE

Dale

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Redtwin, don't act like recruiting dosen't happen. Evidence: why did the split take place? Do some research and check out the papers from that time period. I also live around the Nashville area...I have talked to numorous players from private schools. No big names but former players and they admit it. The opposing coaches know it and will talk to you about it. Please do not act like I am some kid playing with a toy and just rambling on. But I will reinstate, I think that the split was bad for Tennessee highschool football and LET THEM PLAY!!! Now I think that this is a dead subject. Lets all just play some ball

Posted by GWAVE1:

Redtwin, don't act like recruiting dosen't happen. Evidence: why did the split take place? Do some research and check out the papers from that time period. I also live around the Nashville area...I have talked to numorous players from private schools. No big names but former players and they admit it. The opposing coaches know it and will talk to you about it. Please do not act like I am some kid playing with a toy and just rambling on. But I will reinstate, I think that the split was bad for Tennessee highschool football and LET THEM PLAY!!! Now I think that this is a dead subject. Lets all just play some ball

I agree that this conversation doesn't belong on this board, but by you saying you've talked to some players who admit recruiting without giving names or school names, you fail to strongly support your argument. ba recruited and got caught, and they were punished, but you can't assume that every other private school recruits because one did. i went to mba and when we discussed recruiting with each other, we found that no one in our class was recruited. if you look at most of the super 7 schools the kids that go there are in private schools all their lives, and they go to private high schools because it's the next step in the progression. i'm sure there are some private schools that are recruiting, but i'd say it's a very small percentage. i'd also be willing to say that there are some public schools who recruit or manipulate the zoning system too, but you can't let a couple of bad apples ruin the whole bunch.

Remembering specific names,...youare correct I will have a problem remembering. But Father Ryan was a school. Pearl Cohn assistant coaches who later returned to UT for further education talked about the illegal recruitment of players before the John Henderson days. Brentwood Aca. of course. Hendersonville lost multiple players to Father Ryan during the 80's. I never heard MBA mentioned. But come on it happens. But I'm with you,...so what. It is a team sport and public schools at least some of them can compete with the private ones. When Gallatin gets beat,no tears. When MBA or whomever gets beat I am sure there is no complaining either. As for public schools...yeah I agree the line gets skewed there as well. It is illegal and when found out action should be taken! Private schools need to recruit to get students because of the lack of true feeder schools. But all in all I hate this split. However I don't ever see it changing. Thanks for the disscussion

Posted by GWAVE1:

Remembering specific names,...youare correct I will have a problem remembering. But Father Ryan was a school. Pearl Cohn assistant coaches who later returned to UT for further education talked about the illegal recruitment of players before the John Henderson days. Brentwood Aca. of course. Hendersonville lost multiple players to Father Ryan during the 80's. I never heard MBA mentioned. But come on it happens. But I'm with you,...so what. It is a team sport and public schools at least some of them can compete with the private ones. When Gallatin gets beat,no tears. When MBA or whomever gets beat I am sure there is no complaining either. As for public schools...yeah I agree the line gets skewed there as well. It is illegal and when found out action should be taken! Private schools need to recruit to get students because of the lack of true feeder schools. But all in all I hate this split. However I don't ever see it changing. Thanks for the disscussion

gwave, i like your style. i'm glad we can have a civil discussion about this issue. back to the original topic, mba beat two 3-4a teams somewhere around 97-98 when they beat halls and clinton, both of which were away games for mba. they also beat pearl cohn when they were making their state title runs. DII-AAA gets my vote.

can this thread get moved back to the football board, the pubic-private debate was a side conversation to the main topic, and i think it's over anyway.

Posted by Redtwin:
Posted by GWAVE1:

gwave, i like your style. i'm glad we can have a civil discussion about this issue. back to the original topic, mba beat two 3-4a teams somewhere around 97-98 when they beat halls and clinton, both of which were away games for mba. they also beat pearl cohn when they were making their state title runs. DII-AAA gets my vote.

can this thread get moved back to the football board, the pubic-private debate was a side conversation to the main topic, and i think it's over anyway.

Let's also remember that BA was in 4A, not 5A, when Cleveland won in 93 & 94.

[Edited by swamp on 10-6-02 7:31P]