Smith County @ Cannon Cannon

scooter

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Termite

SC's defense has had great results this year - quick to the ball and defends the run well. However, let's be real. They have not played a team yet that has had even an average passing game.

All you can do is play the teams on your schedule, but the schedule is very weak and the passing defense has not been tested at all. Until they have to defend a team that passes well, it is hard to say how good the defense is.

Great win against White House, who was one of the two fairly good teams on their schedule. I've seen 6 games, and none of their opponents could throw the ball a lick. SC's numbers with fresh, quick defenders on the field at all times gives them a tough run defense against teams that can't loosen them up with the pass.

They should end up 9-1 and a good seed in their quadrant, which is great results based on preseason expectations.

DadGum CPA....this has a hint of your last year's views. The "they have not played" and "schedule is weak" stuff. :roll: SC has #45, #10, #18, #7, #47, #3 and #86. All have played a lot of ball the last year or 2 and cut their teeth on the practice field with Brandon Johnston flinging around during the 08-and 09 seasons. You may be right but I'm not sure who SC would meet that does throw it all over the yard besides maybe GP.

SC's defense has had great results this year - quick to the ball and defends the run well. However, let's be real. They have not played a team yet that has had even an average passing game.

All you can do is play the teams on your schedule, but the schedule is very weak and the passing defense has not been tested at all. Until they have to defend a team that passes well, it is hard to say how good the defense is.

Great win against White House, who was one of the two fairly good teams on their schedule. I've seen 6 games, and none of their opponents could throw the ball a lick. SC's numbers with fresh, quick defenders on the field at all times gives them a tough run defense against teams that can't loosen them up with the pass.

They should end up 9-1 and a good seed in their quadrant, which is great results based on preseason expectations.

Actually...white house has a very good passing game. They had about 250 yards against GP.

SC can defend the pass...& that includes with whom we both know you are referring.

Maybe you will finally get to visit the hole with a dual purpose.

Just curious...who has a good passing game that will be in our quadrant?

Edited by Antwan

Actually...white house has a very good passing game. They had about 250 yards against GP.

SC can defend the pass...& that includes with whom we both know you are referring.

Maybe you will finally get to visit the hole with a dual purpose.

Just curious...who has a good passing game that will be in our quadrant?

I'm not dissing on SC's defense. But I disagree that White House had a good pass game, at least according to the YTD stats and what I saw in the SC game. They only made one nice throw downfield and that was the TD pass. The rest were dinks, screens, etc..

Macon Co. has a fair pass game, as does Goodpasture, CAK, Pearl Cohn, and yes, CPA.

GP's weakness is pass defense and White House and CPA (and others)exploited that. With GP's size, it is hard to beat them if you don't throw well.

CPA has to throw. They don't have enough players and athletes to pound it. Most of their rush yardage comes from the QB running from the spread. If they don't throw well, they don't win.

I agree that SC may not need to prove their pass defense, at least for a round or maybe two. But they will at some point if they keep winning, which I hope they do.

Reread my post, I did not say they couldn't defend the pass - i just said that they haven't had to prove it yet. My point was that until a team spreads your defense out, you never know how good your defense is.

I'm not dissing on SC's defense. But I disagree that White House had a good pass game, at least according to the YTD stats and what I saw in the SC game. They only made one nice throw downfield and that was the TD pass. The rest were dinks, screens, etc..

Macon Co. has a fair pass game, as does Goodpasture, CAK, Pearl Cohn, and yes, CPA.

GP's weakness is pass defense and White House and CPA (and others)exploited that. With GP's size, it is hard to beat them if you don't throw well.

CPA has to throw. They don't have enough players and athletes to pound it. Most of their rush yardage comes from the QB running from the spread. If they don't throw well, they don't win.

I agree that SC may not need to prove their pass defense, at least for a round or maybe two. But they will at some point if they keep winning, which I hope they do.

Reread my post, I did not say they couldn't defend the pass - i just said that they haven't had to prove it yet. My point was that until a team spreads your defense out, you never know how good your defense is.

I agree...but I do think SC can defend the pass. You are right they have not faced a great passing team this year. (WH averaged 143 yds per game passing 146 yds per game rushing going into SC game). They did last year in Dekalb & PC. Poteete was as good as anyone. He holds a lot of records. We did okay against him...although their best receiver didn't play. One thing that does help SC is their depth. They don't have to play their db's or lb's on offense. Against a team that throws...that is a big plus. I think I fear a balanced team...like WH...more than a one dimensional team.

Edited by Antwan

Hey CP - I thought you had a better "eye" for football from your prior posts - One little bitty tiny fact you failed to notice - how much time did the QB have to throw the ball? You know, you can make a good passing team look not so good in the passing game with a good pash rush. Also, did you notice the coverage on the wide outs? I didn't think so. WH had a good passing team with good receivers - as stated earlier throwing over 250 yds against GP. Like Tmite said, who has an exellent passing team that we might play? Not dicing, just curious :thumb:

Hey CP - I thought you had a better "eye" for football from your prior posts - One little bitty tiny fact you failed to notice - how much time did the QB have to throw the ball? You know, you can make a good passing team look not so good in the passing game with a good pash rush. Also, did you notice the coverage on the wide outs? I didn't think so. WH had a good passing team with good receivers - as stated earlier throwing over 250 yds against GP. Like Tmite said, who has an exellent passing team that we might play? Not dicing, just curious :thumb:

I thought you had a better eye for football as well and understand that the less proficient an opponent is passing the ball the more you can sell out on the pass rush. SC's depth (they have exploited teams in the 2nd half by being fresher on both offense and defense - look how their running game and Scurlock did late against WH)and loading up against the run against teams that don't throw well has be the key to their success.

I give them credit and their coaches for understanding that is their strength and making it work.

We can argue all day, but you will never convince me the teams they have played could throw the ball despite the pass rush. I didn't see the Cheatham Cty. game or the Macon Co. game, but the others I saw and, except for WH, those teams had NO passing game. Maynord is smart. He defends the run, sells out on the rush (look how many times SC's linebackers are pressuring the passer), and forces poor passing teams to try to throw. I credit him for that.

Edited by CPA4Ever

I agree...but I do think SC can defend the pass. You are right they have not faced a great passing team this year. (WH averaged 143 yds per game passing 146 yds per game rushing going into SC game). They did last year in Dekalb & PC. Poteete was as good as anyone. He holds a lot of records. We did okay against him...although their best receiver didn't play. One thing that does help SC is their depth. They don't have to play their db's or lb's on offense. Against a team that throws...that is a big plus. I think I fear a balanced team...like WH...more than a one dimensional team.

I hope they can, because I want them to go deep into the playoffs. My only point was that we don't know yet until they face a strong passing team. You are also right that depth is their strength. Look at how many times this year they have dominated the 3rd and 4th quarter. Depth is what won both the Gordonsville and WH games in particular.

One more thing. They defended WH well, but the difference in the game was special teams. WH misses 4 points in easy kicks and misses a dozen tackles on 2 SC punt returns. Their kicking game was horrible.

Guest Termite

I hope they can, because I want them to go deep into the playoffs. My only point was that we don't know yet until they face a strong passing team. You are also right that depth is their strength. Look at how many times this year they have dominated the 3rd and 4th quarter. Depth is what won both the Gordonsville and WH games in particular.

One more thing. They defended WH well, but the difference in the game was special teams. WH misses 4 points in easy kicks and misses a dozen tackles on 2 SC punt returns. Their kicking game was horrible.

Again ,other than GP, who tosses it around the yard and IS a strong pasing team?? I really don't know. Evidently there are some you have in mind. Give me your thoughts.

You may be right that if somebody throws it well and has the potential to score quick, SC's grind it out offense would be put to the test to keep up. Usually, if somebody throws it around a lot, it's because they can't run it well. Either way, I believe SC has shown they can defend both. IMO SC's DBs are better this year than last years, and last years DBs defended some pretty good passing teams.

I will agree with most...but I wouldn't call a 47 yard field goal attempt an easy kick.

SC missed and extra point too...so that is a wash.

I do agree on the missed tackles...but I would give more credit to Nathan Nuss. He is getting more and more comfortable returning punts. He makes a lot of people miss.

I will agree with most...but I wouldn't call a 47 yard field goal attempt an easy kick.

SC missed and extra point too...so that is a wash.

I do agree on the missed tackles...but I would give more credit to Nathan Nuss. He is getting more and more comfortable returning punts. He makes a lot of people miss.

I agree about Nuss. Missed tackles are a two-way street - good running and bad tackling. He runs downhill and tough to bring down. Same with Scurlock's yardage in the 4th quarter - combo of tough running and tired guys missing tackles.

Again ,other than GP, who tosses it around the yard and IS a strong pasing team?? I really don't know. Evidently there are some you have in mind. Give me your thoughts.

You may be right that if somebody throws it well and has the potential to score quick, SC's grind it out offense would be put to the test to keep up. Usually, if somebody throws it around a lot, it's because they can't run it well. Either way, I believe SC has shown they can defend both. IMO SC's DBs are better this year than last years, and last years DBs defended some pretty good passing teams.

The whole point of my post was that SC has a chance to do some good things from here out, but before we assume their defense is as stout as their stats, we have to recognize that they have played 3 fairly good teams (2 with average records and 1 is a 1A team), and have had not had to defend a good passing attack yet.

They may not ever play a good passing team, but if they do, it will be interesting. As far as who throws well, I am not familiar with every team in the state but have seen East Lit., Goodpasture, and Pearl Cohn and they all throw well. i know CAK also has a great passing attack.