Competition Forfeiting/Cancelling ?

CHAMPDDS

Just curious if other teams in the state have had issues with other teams forfeiting/cancelling games, especially district games....seems that Notre Dame has been plagued by other teams forfeiting/cancelling games this season:

ND v SILVERDALE Originally scheduled, and cancelled by Silverdale right before season began

ND v SEQUATCHIE COUNTY- District game forfeited by Sequatchie County

ND v RIVERDALE- Last minute cancellation by Riverdale...Coach didn't know it was on their schedule ??? (But it was on their own school website schedule !)

ND v SEQUATCHIE COUNTY-District Tournament Game next week (Oct 19th)already forfeited by Sequatchie County...

D

Edited by CHAMPDDS

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just curious if other teams in the state have had issues with other teams forfeiting/cancelling games, especially district games....seems that Notre Dame has been plagued by other teams forfeiting/cancelling games this season:

ND v SILVERDALE Originally scheduled, and cancelled by Silverdale right before season began

ND v SEQUATCHIE COUNTY- District game forfeited by Sequatchie County

ND v RIVERDALE- Last minute cancellation by Riverdale...Coach didn't know it was on their schedule ??? (But it was on their own school website schedule !)

ND v SEQUATCHIE COUNTY-District Tournament Game next week (Oct 19th)already forfeited by Sequatchie County...

D

Yes, Oak Ridge has lost 2 games from the regular season with one due to sickness on the visiting team which we could never agree a re-schedule date and a cancellation from our senior night opponent due to fall break (not enough players available). I am not sure what the rules say in these situations other than they are just games lost and have no effect on the overall record.

It is very frustrating when the lost games could keep two of our senior players from reaching a milestone 100 varsity games. I guess in the end we control our own destiny in the going forward in the playoffs but frustrating none the less.

Yes, Oak Ridge has lost 2 games from the regular season with one due to sickness on the visiting team which we could never agree a re-schedule date and a cancellation from our senior night opponent due to fall break (not enough players available). I am not sure what the rules say in these situations other than they are just games lost and have no effect on the overall record.

It is very frustrating when the lost games could keep two of our senior players from reaching a milestone 100 varsity games. I guess in the end we control our own destiny in the going forward in the playoffs but frustrating none the less.

One of the problems I see ND having, is the fact that we had limited JV games (played a few 8v8 games only, since JV player numbers were down this season (and last), and even some varsity players have seen limited play time, so it would have been nice to have some less competitive games, ie. Sequatchie County, to give those players some play time, and allow Sequatchie to have a more level game (not being cocky, but ND of course would have to win the game, but knowing Coach Schermerhorn, he would have pulled the heavy hitters out as soon as a lead was established)...Maybe just being selfish, but it seems nice to get as many games in as possible, no matter what the expected level the competition is...I'd assume the girls really want to play..on both teams...versus bailing out...

Edited by CHAMPDDS

One of the problems I see ND having, is the fact that we had limited JV games (played a few 8v8 games only, since JV player numbers were down this season (and last), and even some varsity players have seen limited play time, so it would have been nice to have some less competitive games, ie. Sequatchie County, to give those players some play time, and allow Sequatchie to have a more level game (not being cocky, but ND of course would have to win the game, but knowing Coach Schermerhorn, he would have pulled the heavy hitters out as soon as a lead was established)[/ size]...Maybe just being selfish, but it seems nice to get as many games in as possible, no matter what the expected level the competition is...I'd assume the girls really want to play..on both teams...versus bailing out...

:roflol: ....OMG I almost choked on my grilled cheese

That is why it is always good to get opponents to sign the state contract. It is sad to see coaches cancel as that is not teaching young adults the right way, and sends the wrong message to your players. When you cancel you basically say you do not have the confidence in your team. What a shame to teach this so early in life. As far as kids reaching milestones, that does sound a bit selfish.

Pulling out players is exactly what he did last year against Seq. Co with the lead 4-0. Against Dekalb Co (a region semi), Coach Jim did the same. Final score was 8-1. If you need the Heimlich, let me know.

Why wait until you have scored a half dozen goals before you pull people out? There are some coaches who start the bench and JV players when playing less talented teams.

Why wait until you have scored a half dozen goals before you pull people out? There are some coaches who start the bench and JV players when playing less talented teams.

Name the coaches in any high school sport (and please cite the game so we can all see the box score) that start the bench in a playoff game. I would love to give them credit.

The players that have earned starting positions deserve to start in every match. There are ways to improve your team without running up a score. I hate the coaches that allow "stat mongering" as I call it. I know a few coaches that have subtle signals that allow a team to still improve during the course of a match. I know I pull players quickly and make adjustments if it is apparent the game will get out of hand. I would take it as an insult if I knew the other team has started a lesser lineup than it is capable of doing. I have been on the bad side of lopsided scores and know how it feels. But I would feel much worse if I knew they didn't play their best players and still beat us. Just my opinion. I want to reinforce that I truly find it unacceptable to purposely run up a score.

On the idea of cancelling and accepting a forfeit, I believe the 3 nil score is fair, but this needs to be discussed and agreed upon before the season as a possibility or back out a game gracefully so the stronger team may still have time to find a new opponent. It is unfair for a team to back out late, you now punish the players on the stronger team.

Name the coaches in any high school sport (and please cite the game so we can all see the box score) that start the bench in a playoff game. I would love to give them credit.

I know that the SD coach has done this consistantly over the years. Most of the time he starts the starters then pulls them quickly or starts backups to give them the opportunity for a varsity start. This has frustrated the players and parents a few times. It has also kept some of the players stats a lot lower than others who keep the starters in to get points.

I know that the SD coach has done this consistantly over the years. Most of the time he starts the starters then pulls them quickly or starts backups to give them the opportunity for a varsity start. This has frustrated the players and parents a few times. It has also kept some of the players stats a lot lower than others who keep the starters in to get points.

You really expect us to believe that Moises Drummond has started his bench in a playoff game? From what I have heard of him, I don't think he would demean the opposing team in this manner. He had the perfect opportunity last year against Cumberland County. Did he start the bench in that game - a region semi?

That is why it is always good to get opponents to sign the state contract. It is sad to see coaches cancel as that is not teaching young adults the right way, and sends the wrong message to your players. When you cancel you basically say you do not have the confidence in your team. What a shame to teach this so early in life. As far as kids reaching milestones, that does sound a bit selfish.

I don't know anything about a state contract, what are the requirements,etc...

D