LEWIS COUNTY COURTS - A TRIBUTE TO THE LEGENDS

fadeaway

I have noticed there have been very few people at the Courts lately and the action is dying down. I'd like to take the time to remember those who I feel are the top 10 players in Courts history since the games were played at Memorial Park. They are in no particular order and I'd like to see some feedback from the Legends, players, and fans who have been a part of the Courts through the years.

When James "DOC" Haley left the game in 2001 at age 48, no Courts player had ever scored more points, accumulated more steals, grabbed more rebounds, had more assists won more Most Valuable Player Awards, played in more games, logged more seasons, or performed at an older age. His list of personal and team accomplishments are perhaps the most awesome in Courts history: Rookie of the Year, Nine-time Courts MVP, 28-time All-Star, and winner of 16 Courts Championships. No player has achieved as much individual and team success as did Haley. The John Havlicek of the Courts.

Although not as tall as the game's other legendary centers, TRAVIS MCKISSACK has capitalized on his strength, quickness and tenacity. Ferocious on the boards, he was the Courts rebounding leader six times in a seven-year span. An equally crafty scorer, he averaged a double-double for the first 10 years of his career. He could beat an opponent by using an infinite number of post moves, and had a knack for getting to the free throw line as well as being able to nail the high-percentage shot in the clutch.. Since 1989, when Billy Dabbs began keeping offensive and defensive rebounds as separate categories, McKissack ranks first on the all-time list in offensive rebounds, and second behind Terry Shipp in defensive rebounds. The Karl Malone of the Courts.

One man who personified hustle, consistency and excellence in all areas of play--as a scorer, a passer, a rebounder, a defender, a team player, and perhaps above all, as a clutch performer was the "LEGEND" Jonah Keltner. There are few who can be considered a better passer, shooter, and defender than Keltner. He was a classy, confident, hardworking player who thrived on pressure and inspired teammates to excel. Keltner was idolized by Courts fans and basketball purists of all allegiances. His heroics, ranging from seemingly impossible reverse layups to miraculous 25-foot bombs over multiple defenders, never ceased to amaze those who followed his career. The Larry Bird of the Courts.

Combine a deadly jump shot, tenacious defense, obsessive perfectionism, unabashed confidence, and an uncompromising will to win, and you've got EVAN LAWSON, one of the greatest players in Courts history. During his 12-year playing career at the Courts, Lawson has become synonymous with brilliant basketball. He was the third player in Courts history to reach 10,000 points (after Doc Haley and Clinton Reeves). If he was to ever catch fire, which he often did, he could be seen shooting a thirty footer and hit nothing but net. One of the most explosive scorers ever, Lawson still enjoys playing and mentoring younger players at the Courts. The Jerry West of the Courts.

The great and spectacular "White Wonder" Clinton Reeves was the dominant player of his era, an innovator who changed the way the game was played. He was a wizard with the ball, performing feats never before seen: midair spins and whirls punctuated by powerful reverse lay-ups. Reeves was one of the first players to make extemporaneous individual expression an integral part of the game, setting the style of play that would prevail in the years to follow. Arguably the best player in Courts history, Clinton ranks second in scoring, steals, assists, and field goal percentage only to Doc Haley. The Michael Jordan of the Courts.

One man who revolutionized how the game was played at the Courts was Terry "Gooch" Shipp, who did many great things that weren't all measured by statistics. For instance, his rules of the game were officially adopted back in 1989 by Memorial Park officials and still are the foundation block which younger guys play buy today. But despite his creativity for rule-making, he is best known for his dominating play over the years. While his offensive game was unstoppable his ability to leave his man and slide over to cover an opponent driving to the hoop was startling. He was unmatched at swooping across the lane like a big bird to block and alter shots. It was his defensive efforts against Drew that won him the Defense Player of the Year award three straight years from 93, 94, and 95 at the Courts. The Wilt Chamberlain of the Courts.

Arguably the games most unstoppable player, Josh "SHAQ" Keltner" was the most awesome offensive force the Courts has ever seen. Asked to name the greatest players ever to play basketball at the Courts, most fans and players would put him at or near the top of the list. Dominating the game as few players in any sport ever have, Keltner seemed capable of scoring and rebounding at will, despite the double and triple-teams and constant fouling tactics that opposing teams used to try to shut him down. His ability to beat you down low and then take you out deep for a three pointer cannot be matched. The Shaquille Oneal of the Courts.

Robert "Downtown" Brown possessed the ideal physique for the game of basketball. With his incredibly long arms and legs, Brown presented an unforgettable image at the Courts. He used his physical gifts to excellent advantage during his 5-year career at the Courts, becoming one of the best inside/outside players the game has ever seen. Along with Shipp, Brown formed one of the greatest grudge matches the Courts have ever seen. Brown had an uncanny ability to nail the high-percentage shot in the corner which was all but impossible to guard. Before his untimely death in 1995, Brown, a gracious, dignified, and disciplined man, was an ideal ambassador for the game. He was the epitome of class, and no player was more respected. "As a basketball player, Brown was the first to truly take the torch and become the spokesman for the Courts," said friend and former coach Mel Stevens. The Kevin McHale of the Courts.

Probable the greatest player ever at the Courts is Drew Robinson. He was clearly unstoppable on offense and a great defender was well. A passionate competitor with an untempered desire to win, Drew has the highest win percentage in Courts history at 85.4%. Although he only played at the courts for 4 short years, he holds many records. Known for his great shooting touch and ferocious dunks, Drew was never fully challenged at the Courts and moved on the play college ball for Chamanade, a small D-1 school in Hawaii. Legend has it one day Drew will return and save the Courts from going extinct, which it is on the brink of now. If he does, crowds will once again flock to the courts, not necessarily to play, but watch possibly the greatest player Hohenwald has ever seen. The Jordan/Magic/Bird of the Courts.

The "Great White Hope" Bobby Young is one of the best all around players the Courts have seen. He learned basketball on a rutted, dirt playground, the only facility available at his childhood home in Pleasantville. Growing up, Young had to shoot socks through a bike tire whose spokes were torn out. This hard work payed off as Young was one of the best players at LCHS and later at the Courts. Although the trucking business and other adventures kept Young away from the Courts for many years, he is back now trying to regain his form and shooting touch that made him the MVP at the Courts back in 1998. The Rick Barry of the Courts.

Best Known Players in Courts History:

Herman "Creature" Grimes - Known because of his hustle and ability to call next. Retired because of lack of competition.

"Wild" Bill Dabbs - the greatest statistician the Courts have ever seen.

"Country Bob" - is there anyone better at hacking you down low and talking trash all day long.

"Smits" - a Courts legend on the brink. Almost catching up to Billy Dabbs on the record list of most consecutive days spent at the courts.

David "Indo" Williams - Ranks in the top-5 in three different categories. Second all-time on the "I've got next list", fifth in career steals and third in turnovers.

Thank You to Bill Dabbs for the stats used in this post.

:D

[Edited by fadeaway on 10-2-02 11:02A]

[Edited by fadeaway on 10-2-02 11:03A]

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The post was a great one fadeaway, but I do believe you overlooked one Legend. Larry "Roy" Rodgers had many spectacular years at both the old and new courts. His ability to lead a team of "no-ones" to a court title was unmatched. Anyone that can take Lit'l Jerry , Duval , and Choker and win 6 in a row deserves to be mentioned with the greats. Larry could shoot, pass and play amazing defense. Larry would be sometimes overmatched a foot and 100lbs but still keep his opponent in check. "The best da** white boy I've ever seen play", quoted former teammate Kenny McGill. Larry has been quoted as saying he feels he still has a couple of more years of competitive ball left in him. He has missed the past two seasons recovering from major ankle surgery. Larry's play at the court reminds many of the legendary Isaiah Thomas/Gary Payton. :D

That is a very good list, the first one that is. Those are some great players. I'm glad some still play today. They are good. The young guys could learn from them.

But what about the second list? That's crap that should not be on here. Especially since you aint got the L to the J on there. That ODB is the cutest one at the courts.

The Legends rankings was good and somewhat accurate from what I hear, if they are based only on the past 10-15 years. Before that, there are several who could be listed with those guys.

The cute player list is ridiculus and needs deleted. That's why the girls aren't as good as they should be, too boy-crazy.

While Mel was a great shooter, I don't feel he had a great all-around game like the others on the list. Also he wasn't one to play a lot as he prefered the diamond over the courts (the reason Larry "Legend" Rodgers is also not on the list...softball).

As far as "Chocolate Thunder", I don't think he had a dominate four-year run which was the minimum amount of years I went by for people to be considered on the list. He was great in his prime, but living in Centerville hurt him in my rankings.

If there is anyone else you would like to get recognition from me who hasn't, I'd like to know.