Preseason Top Ten AA Teams

yuckamuck

It's just good discussion. Here are my top ten. Feel free to correct me where I'm wrong:

1. Bolivar

2. Liberty Tech

3. Marshall County

4. CPA

5. Fulton

6. Some other Memphis team

7. Livingston Academy

8. Sullivan East

9. Red Bank, Tyner, or Howard

10. Stone Memorial

Knox Carter lost one player from a team that has been to 2 straight state tournaments and returns Lester Wilson. They are loaded and better than at least # 4/5 down. Gatlinburg Pittman and Alcoa are also very good. I think that CAK could make a run this season. These 3 or 4 are better than the bottom half of your list. I am not sure about the Chattanooga teams, but they are better than any out of region 1 or 2.

My AA Top 5:

1) Marshall Co. - My pick for AA state champs. Kedren is a whole lot better than I thought he was. If he can get just a little bit of help, I think they win it.

2) Bolivar - Jay and Ricky are 2 tough sets of shoes to fill. Rudesill will bring out the best in this years team when it matters the most.

3) Knox Carter - Lester Wilson is back for his Senior season and could very well challenge Marshall Co. for a state championship. This team could/should be very good.

4) Maplewood - Their District and Region is relatively weak with their only real challenge being CPA. There's no reason why Maplewood should not be back in the 'boro this year.

5) Liberty Tech - I want to put them up there with Bolivar, but a new coach (who has never coached but was a very good player) will determine whether Liberty keeps the winning tradition going. They return a good guard in Kendal Anthony and an athletic post player in Bobo.

I am obviously biased, so I will leave the analysis of Gatlinburg-Pittman to others; but I will say this: GP is playing in the Arby's Classic in December, and I think this will show one way or the other how good this team really is.

Carter should be given much respect, they really only lost one starter off last years team. Everyone knows about Lester Wilson, but it will be the play of Braylen Bennett (JR) and Zach Ballinger (SR) that will determine how far this team goes.

Fulton lacks size, to my knowledge, but the transfer of Jaeland Lawson from Bearden makes them a threat because Galen Campbell is a scoring machine, and he now has a top ranked PG to set him up. Thomas, Queener and Cason are all ranked seniors, albeit further down the list - but experience counts. And they are always well coached. I can see why anyone would have them in their top 5.

Austin East is a real wild-card in District 3 - Brandon Lopez is a known entity and obviously talented, and they have a very promising freshman in Emani Miller and Sophomore Dajon McGill, but what else they can bring to the table is a big question mark. Again, lack of size and experience might be an issue.

Livingston Academy looks to have a real balanced attack with their big Junior center - the play of their 2 ranked Sophomores will be the difference for them, but they should be in the mix.

Bolivar has ALOT of reloading to do, and so far, I haven't heard of any names that stand out, but tradition is definitely in their corner.

Marshall Co. seems to lack depth, but Kendren Johnson might be good enough to overcome that challenge, and I believe they have a Sophomore PG that could make some noise before all is said and done.

Maplewood looks very solid, but they seem to be needing top play from 2 Sophomores - that's a hard call in pre-season ranking.

CPA has Bradshaw (talk about your scoring machines), but what else? They seem a bit young, with no senior leadership that I know of.

I leave out Chattanooga (and I really could be way off the mark here) because their Rocky Top fall league had little to match up to the ET Pilot Rocky Top league. Maybe football got in the way, but I think the Chattanooga area is just not up to the same par with the rest of the state in AA, with the possible exception of Red Bank - they seem to be the team to watch from that area.

I honestly see a real possibility of 2 teams from District 3 in the final 4 simply because District play there will really prepare the eventual top 2. That said, Liberty Tech, from all I understand, has to be the team to beat; and pre-season #1 pick for what my 2 cents are worth. Talented, experienced, and a tradition of winning gives them the early nod.

It's just good discussion. Here are my top ten. Feel free to correct me where I'm wrong:

1. Bolivar

2. Liberty Tech

3. Marshall County

4. CPA

5. Fulton

6. Some other Memphis team

7. Livingston Academy

8. Sullivan East

9. Red Bank, Tyner, or Howard

10. Stone Memorial

So no team from Memphis? lol!

I think Manassas and Hillcrest will have something to say about that!!!

So no team from Memphis? lol!

I think Manassas and Hillcrest will have something to say about that!!!

Can you tell us a little more about what these two teams will be bring to the coming season, because at first glance, both have limited depth, especially Hillcrest (talented point guard, but what else?).

Manassas would be the best to make some noise - how good is that Junior center, Baker? Seems if they are to make a run at the top 10, he will have to be very solid to compliment their guards.

Can you tell us a little more about what these two teams will be bring to the coming season, because at first glance, both have limited depth, especially Hillcrest (talented point guard, but what else?).

Manassas would be the best to make some noise - how good is that Junior center, Baker? Seems if they are to make a run at the top 10, he will have to be very solid to compliment their guards.

One thing is for sure! Yoyu don't have a clue about Manassas at this point! lol!!!

Manassas is LOADED!!!

I am obviously biased, so I will leave the analysis of Gatlinburg-Pittman to others; but I will say this: GP is playing in the Arby's Classic in December, and I think this will show one way or the other how good this team really is.

Carter should be given much respect, they really only lost one starter off last years team. Everyone knows about Lester Wilson, but it will be the play of Braylen Bennett (JR) and Zach Ballinger (SR) that will determine how far this team goes.

Fulton lacks size, to my knowledge, but the transfer of Jaeland Lawson from Bearden makes them a threat because Galen Campbell is a scoring machine, and he now has a top ranked PG to set him up. Thomas, Queener and Cason are all ranked seniors, albeit further down the list - but experience counts. And they are always well coached. I can see why anyone would have them in their top 5.

Austin East is a real wild-card in District 3 - Brandon Lopez is a known entity and obviously talented, and they have a very promising freshman in Emani Miller and Sophomore Dajon McGill, but what else they can bring to the table is a big question mark. Again, lack of size and experience might be an issue.

Livingston Academy looks to have a real balanced attack with their big Junior center - the play of their 2 ranked Sophomores will be the difference for them, but they should be in the mix.

Bolivar has ALOT of reloading to do, and so far, I haven't heard of any names that stand out, but tradition is definitely in their corner.

Marshall Co. seems to lack depth, but Kendren Johnson might be good enough to overcome that challenge, and I believe they have a Sophomore PG that could make some noise before all is said and done.

Maplewood looks very solid, but they seem to be needing top play from 2 Sophomores - that's a hard call in pre-season ranking.

CPA has Bradshaw (talk about your scoring machines), but what else? They seem a bit young, with no senior leadership that I know of.

I leave out Chattanooga (and I really could be way off the mark here) because their Rocky Top fall league had little to match up to the ET Pilot Rocky Top league. Maybe football got in the way, but I think the Chattanooga area is just not up to the same par with the rest of the state in AA, with the possible exception of Red Bank - they seem to be the team to watch from that area.

I honestly see a real possibility of 2 teams from District 3 in the final 4 simply because District play there will really prepare the eventual top 2. That said, Liberty Tech, from all I understand, has to be the team to beat; and pre-season #1 pick for what my 2 cents are worth. Talented, experienced, and a tradition of winning gives them the early nod.

CPA has Jalen Lindsay. He is one of the top 15 ranked freshman in the country. I believe he was MVP of the district last season as an 8th grader. He is at least 6/6 and unbelievably good and only getting better. Bradshaw and Lindsay have a nice supporting cast that play extremely hard for Coach Maddux at CPA. They will be a contender.

Also, don't sleep on Alcoa. They won the summer team camp tourney at Maryville College which included good teams like Livingston Academy, Gatlinburg Pittman, Knox Central, Anderson County, etc. While it was only the summer and lots of factors must be weighed, they still won it. They will have a chance with all their athletes to make a run. They will probably start slow considering the majority of their team will be trying to win their 50th straight state football championship.

One thing is for sure! Yoyu don't have a clue about Manassas at this point! lol!!!

Manassas is LOADED!!!

I believe that's why I asked for some details lol - being from East TN, you are exactly correct about me knowing little about Manassas other than what I can read about here and on other websites.

Seriously, fill us in on what is happening with those players - AAU play, fall leagues, camps, etc. Who is showing good improvement from last year?

I know I'm seriously interested to hear about it - that's why we are here!

CPA has Jalen Lindsay. He is one of the top 15 ranked freshman in the country. I believe he was MVP of the district last season as an 8th grader. He is at least 6/6 and unbelievably good and only getting better. Bradshaw and Lindsay have a nice supporting cast that play extremely hard for Coach Maddux at CPA. They will be a contender.

Also, don't sleep on Alcoa. They won the summer team camp tourney at Maryville College which included good teams like Livingston Academy, Gatlinburg Pittman, Knox Central, Anderson County, etc. While it was only the summer and lots of factors must be weighed, they still won it. They will have a chance with all their athletes to make a run. They will probably start slow considering the majority of their team will be trying to win their 50th straight state football championship.

True Alcoa has a good team. They beat LA in the championship game of the Maryville College camp by about 7 points. LA was playing in their 6th or 7th straight day of camps and had some guys who'd left that played the day before when they beat Alcoa by about 30 points. LA was completely exhausted in that last game. I think LA beat Knox Central in the semis and Alcoa beat GP in theirs. Taking nothing from Alcoa, though. They have a good team.

True Alcoa has a good team. They beat LA in the championship game of the Maryville College camp by about 7 points. LA was playing in their 6th or 7th straight day of camps and had some guys who'd left that played the day before when they beat Alcoa by about 30 points. LA was completely exhausted in that last game. I think LA beat Knox Central in the semis and Alcoa beat GP in theirs. Taking nothing from Alcoa, though. They have a good team.

How good is Knox Central? What do they have returning?