I'tavious Mathers

djdoda

I respect him i just dont get how he is so good. He isnt as fast as he was cracked up to b, cuz last week i was in attendance and i saw brentwood defenders running him down from behind. i saw without him balckman is screwed cuz is had 250 out of their 280 total yards

Vision I believe is what seperates him from the rest. He sees the hole before it is there, and then when it does open up, he attacks, doesnt try to dance around. You run for 1700 yards in a district as good as 7-AAA, your a special back. Division 1 programs will confirm that when he has scholarship offers out the wazoo come this time next year

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Toughest in the NATION? Says who? Which unbiased national sports journalist says this? Where are the teams listed nationaly?

Texas, California, FL, Ohio, PA??? Certainly a talented couple of teams in Murfreesboro, TN but please let's not overstate, OK?

Mr. Curtis, is all you can do is ask questions that are negative in nature? As you can see in other post on here with the unapproved website article, this is OLD NEWS! Suggestion: Before you type your sarcastic, cynical questions, get on the internet and do about 3 minutes of research and you will not even have to get on CoachT. Most old posters on CoachT wonder of the motives of those who have 10 or 12 total post when they start to spew crazy talk! :wacko:

I respect him i just dont get how he is so good. He isnt as fast as he was cracked up to b, cuz last week i was in attendance and i saw brentwood defenders running him down from behind. i saw without him balckman is screwed cuz is had 250 out of their 280 total yards

please compare your statment about mathers with brentwood's head coach's comments found in the DNJ after the game on saturday...crawford said that in all his years of coaching at riverdale and brentwood he is the hardest to tackle that he has ever seen...let me tell you why he is good...he is very fast (see below)...can juke like crazy (see brentwood game where at least 5 of there guys got nothing but air when they tried to tackle him)...and will run over you if he has too...and he is a high character guy who works like crazy and says very little...

and i was at the game and i watched every play several times after the actual game and HE NEVER WAS RUN DOWN FROM BEHIND...did not happen! i was also at the vandy camp this summer with him and he ran a 4.51 as timed by the vandy coaches and in another camp ran a 4.46...i would even say there is no one on the brentwood team that is faster than him...

as far as blackman being "screwed" without him...most great h.s. teams do have one special player that would totally change there team...but blackman's defense would probably beg to differ with your comment and our oline has to be pretty dang good for him to have the yards he has...yes...we have a dominant back on our team...but we have a whole lot more... :flower:

Why don't you just get on here and say "I'm taker123 and I'm and idiot"!, you won't have to think or type near as much. Plus you can type the same thing over and over and we will understand. :popcorneater:

Edited by mykidsdad

please compare your statment about mathers with brentwood's head coach's comments found in the DNJ after the game on saturday...crawford said that in all his years of coaching at riverdale and brentwood he is the hardest to tackle that he has ever seen...

and i was at the game and i watched every play several times after the actual game and HE NEVER WAS RUN DOWN FROM BEHIND...did not happen! i was also at the vandy camp this summer with him and he ran a 4.51 as timed by the vandy coaches and in another camp ran a 4.46...i would even say there is no one on the brentwood team that is faster than him...

:flower:

Crawford said some other VERY complimentary things about him leading up to the game as well. As for me, I would have enjoyed the show if he wasn't playing against the team I pull for.

If someone did run him down from behind it was probably because he was juking some people in front of him so that doesn't really count. He didn't look Chris Johnson fast - just lightening quick! But if he ran a 4.51 on Vanderbilt's field then that translates to much faster than a 4.46 on other fields. It is notoriously slow - maybe they build in an adjustment - :thumb: ! Either way he is PLENTY fast. He was bigger than I expected and tremendous footwork. I couldn't be more impressed.

Totally agree w/ your last point PBD. Just about every good team in the state would suffer if you removed one KEY player. I think that PERCEPTION w/ Blackman is because Mathers gets such a high percentage of touches in your system - 234 out of about 290 total yards vs Brentwood. I was hoping he would finally just get tired!

Good luck the rest of the way.

Crawford said some other VERY complimentary things about him leading up to the game as well. As for me, I would have enjoyed the show if he wasn't playing against the team I pull for.

If someone did run him down from behind it was probably because he was juking some people in front of him so that doesn't really count. He didn't look Chris Johnson fast - just lightening quick! But if he ran a 4.51 on Vanderbilt's field then that translates to much faster than a 4.46 on other fields. It is notoriously slow - maybe they build in an adjustment - :thumb: ! Either way he is PLENTY fast. He was bigger than I expected and tremendous footwork. I couldn't be more impressed.

Totally agree w/ your last point PBD. Just about every good team in the state would suffer if you removed one KEY player. I think that PERCEPTION w/ Blackman is because Mathers gets such a high percentage of touches in your system - 234 out of about 290 total yards vs Brentwood. I was hoping he would finally just get tired!

Good luck the rest of the way.

THANKS for a fresh voice of honesty and reality...and i agree...he is fun to watch and i'm glad he was not on your team... :thumb:

you are so right...we have been to vandy's camp twice and not only is their turf slower than any other camp we went to...but they time you after an hour or two hours of you working out in 100 degree heat...i have never understood why they do this because at all the other camps we went to the coaches timed the guys 1st thing that morning after warming them up...so a 4.51 after an hour workout in 100 degree heat is not bad for sure...

5' 11" and 185lbs...and has room to fill out! and yes he gets alot of attention but he deserves it because of the quite way he carries himself and our boys love to block for him and watch him run...!

Ok well this topic is about their current running back. I have only seen him live in one game but from what i have heard and his stats he is incredible. He is running all over top defenses and is putting up these absurd numbers in one of the toughest districts in the nation! I'm not a Blackman fan but I'm sure any team would love to have this kid running the ball for them.

I have seen him live once also .Against Smyrna ! And just like Haymer from Beech and Davenport from Riverdale

he was pretty much shut down ...GO DAWGS !!!!!

I k'eep t'rying t'o t'ell y'all i't a'll s'tarts w'ith t'he c'enter! :mrgreen::popcorneater:

I kept the stats last week for Brentwood & got a good look at Mathers & the entire Blackman team. Mathers is head & shoulders above any RB we've played all year - and we've played a lot of good ones. But to address this post. While Blackman does have a very good offensive line, I was surprised to find that the rest of the Blaze runners had only a 1.5 yard-per-carry average Friday night (on 8 rushes), while Mathers was just under 8 yards per carry. This was not skewed by any sacks (there were none - again, good job O line). I wouldn't say anything negative about the Blaze O line, but this 1.5 ypc stat does show that Mathers' doesn't owe his numbers to anyone else - he is a special talent. I'm sure he'll be playing on Saturdays in the SEC in a couple years. Good luck to him.

I kept the stats last week for Brentwood & got a good look at Mathers & the entire Blackman team. Mathers is head & shoulders above any RB we've played all year - and we've played a lot of good ones. But to address this post. While Blackman does have a very good offensive line, I was surprised to find that the rest of the Blaze runners had only a 1.5 yard-per-carry average Friday night (on 8 rushes), while Mathers was just under 8 yards per carry. This was not skewed by any sacks (there were none - again, good job O line). I wouldn't say anything negative about the Blaze O line, but this 1.5 ypc stat does show that Mathers' doesn't owe his numbers to anyone else - he is a special talent. I'm sure he'll be playing on Saturdays in the SEC in a couple years. Good luck to him.

I'm jus saying, if it wasn't for the center we would only be playing with 10 guys much easier to defend and I have no idea how the qb or running back gets the ball!

It all starts with the center, every play. :popcorneater:

Edited by mykidsdad

Vision I believe is what seperates him from the rest. He sees the hole before it is there, and then when it does open up, he attacks, doesnt try to dance around. You run for 1700 yards in a district as good as 7-AAA, your a special back. Division 1 programs will confirm that when he has scholarship offers out the wazoo come this time next year

he reminds of Jeremy Coffey brentwoods great back from last year. who holds the state record for longest run of 98 yards. except mathers is a little bit faster around the edge and jeremy had the ability to truck defensive players and hit the hole or if 1 wasnt there he would make 1 rather than wait for it.

And im sure that the Blaze's defense would disagree with me on the fact that would be screwed without him. BUt i just say take him out of the game how many toudhdowns would they have got against Brentwood last week?