District Championship Tie Breakers

District8AAA

I have been looking at the district championship games closely and if I am not mistaken this is how District 8AAA could pan out. I would like to know if this is correct:

District 8-AAA

Team To finish first To finish in top 2

Columbia Win plus Lawrence County win Win, plus Lawrence County or Shelbyville win

Lawrence County Win plus Franklin County win Win

Tullahoma Win Win, or wins by Franklin and Lincoln Counties

Lincoln County â–¼ Win plus Tullahoma win

Shelbyville â–¼ Win plus Franklin County win

In laymens terms I would like to explain this distict a little further and see if the way I understand the system is correct.

1. If Tullahoma wins friday night they are District 8AAA champs!

(I agree with this without a doubt)

2. If Lawrence County wins friday night then they win the district!

(This is where it gets confusing to me and I will try and explain why)

I understand that with a win by Lawrence County, Columbia, Lincoln/Shelbyville

there will be a 4 way tie between Columbia, Lawrence County, Tullahoma and the

Lincoln County/Shelbyville winner. If this happens, assuming each teams record

and each team wins except Tullahoma; Lincoln County(5-5), Shelbyville(7-3),

Columbia(8-2), Lawrence County(8-2)and Tullahoma(6-4). According to the TSSAA

rules then the winner would be chosen 1st by the total number of wins. That would

eliminate Tullahoma(6-4), Lincoln County(5-5)and Shelbyville(7-3). That would

leave Columbia/Lawrence County tied. Now the TSSAA would then look at tie breaker

#2. That would make Lawrence County be the winner of the district due to the

fact that they would have played 6 teams with winning records and Columbia would

would have only played 5. I find this hard to believe that this could happen due

to the fact that Columbia beat Lawrence County head to head and that is not even

considered when determining district champions nor playoff spots! This is of

course looking at the way it will be today when the playoff results are released.

For this to stay this way at the end of the regular season Marshall County would

have to get beat by Giles County and I expect that to happen.

I would like to know if this is correct and how many people agree with this. It looks

like the best thing that could happen is for Tullahoma to win and put an end to this crazy tie breaking system. One thing is for certain, teams need to think long and hard when making a schedule out. It seems strange that what other district teams do can have such a huge result on how you finish in the district!! Good luck to all the teams in the district!

I have been looking at the district championship games closely and if I am not mistaken this is how District 8AAA could pan out. I would like to know if this is correct:

District 8-AAA

Team             To finish first                To finish in top 2 
Columbia         Win plus Lawrence County win   Win, plus Lawrence County or Shelbyville win 
Lawrence County  Win plus Franklin County win   Win 
Tullahoma        Win                            Win, or wins by Franklin and Lincoln Counties 
Lincoln County   â–¼                              Win plus Tullahoma win 
Shelbyville      â–¼                              Win plus Franklin County win

In laymens terms I would like to explain this distict a little further and see if the way I understand the system is correct.

1. If Tullahoma wins friday night they are District 8AAA champs!

(I agree with this without a doubt)

2. If Lawrence County wins friday night then they win the district!

(This is where it gets confusing to me and I will try and explain why)

I understand that with a win by Lawrence County, Columbia, Lincoln/Shelbyville

there will be a 4 way tie between Columbia, Lawrence County, Tullahoma and the

Lincoln County/Shelbyville winner. If this happens, assuming each teams record

and each team wins except Tullahoma; Lincoln County(5-5), Shelbyville(7-3),

Columbia(8-2), Lawrence County(8-2)and Tullahoma(6-4). According to the TSSAA

rules then the winner would be chosen 1st by the total number of wins. That would

eliminate Tullahoma(6-4), Lincoln County(5-5)and Shelbyville(7-3). That would

leave Columbia/Lawrence County tied. Now the TSSAA would then look at tie breaker

#2. That would make Lawrence County be the winner of the district due to the

fact that they would have played 6 teams with winning records and Columbia would

would have only played 5. I find this hard to believe that this could happen due

to the fact that Columbia beat Lawrence County head to head and that is not even

considered when determining district champions nor playoff spots! This is of

course looking at the way it will be today when the playoff results are released.

For this to stay this way at the end of the regular season Marshall County would

have to get beat by Giles County and I expect that to happen.

I would like to know if this is correct and how many people agree with this. It looks

like the best thing that could happen is for Tullahoma to win and put an end to this crazy tie breaking system. One thing is for certain, teams need to think long and hard when making a schedule out. It seems strange that what other district teams do can have such a huge result on how you finish in the district!! Good luck to all the teams in the district!

Not quite right. Head-to-head is reapplied at each step of the tiebreakers. So after it is reduced to Columbia and Lawrence County, the head-to-head kicks in again, and Columbia wins the district. (This is the scenario where both Columbia and Lawrence County win.) Then start over with the remaining teams, and Lawrence County has beaten both Tullahoma and Shelbyville, so they finish second.

Edited by silverpie

Not quite right. Head-to-head is reapplied at each step of the tiebreakers. So after it is reduced to Columbia and Lawrence County, the head-to-head kicks in again, and Columbia wins the district. (This is the scenario where both Columbia and Lawrence County win.) Then start over with the remaining teams, and Lawrence County has beaten both Tullahoma and Shelbyville, so they finish second.

Thanks for your reply. I have copied the TSSAA tie breaking rules and unless I missed something I am not sure I agree. I thougth the same way until I read the rules and then I totally got confused. If what you say is indeed true then Columbia can win the district and be ranked below Lawrence County by the TSSAA in the playoffs?

D. Teams shall qualify for the play-offs by finishing 1st or 2nd in their district/region or by placing high enough in the

state wide standings for their classification based on a set criterion.

For the purpose of district/region standings, the following tie-breaking procedures shall be applied and all regular

season games, both district/region and non-district/non-region, shall count. If at any point when the following tiebreaking

procedures are applied, one team has beaten all the other teams that are tied for a play-off position, that

team shall be rated above the others. After any position in the district/region standings has been determined, the

tie-breaker procedure shall begin all over again to determine the next position. This procedure shall be repeated

to determine all places in the district/region.

1. The team with the greatest number of victories.

2. The team who plays the greatest number of team who win 50 percent or more of their games.

3. The team who has the greatest number of victories over teams winning 50 percent or more of their games.

4. The team whose opponents have earned the most victories.

5. The team whose opponents have received fewer defeats.

6. The team who has the greatest number of victories over teams in its own class.

7. Ten yard-line overtime procedure at neutral site Monday night at 7:30 P.M.

Once the district/region champions and runners up have been determined, the remainder of the 32 team bracket

in 3A, 4A, 5A, and 6A and the remainder of the 24 team bracket in 1A and 2A shall be completed with teams as

they appear on the overall standings within each classification (1A, 2A, 3A, 4A, 5A, and 6A). The standings will

be determined with the following criteria:

Thanks for your reply. I have copied the TSSAA tie breaking rules and unless I missed something I am not sure I agree. I thougth the same way until I read the rules and then I totally got confused. If what you say is indeed true then Columbia can win the district and be ranked below Lawrence County by the TSSAA in the playoffs?

D. Teams shall qualify for the play-offs by finishing 1st or 2nd in their district/region or by placing high enough in the

state wide standings for their classification based on a set criterion.

For the purpose of district/region standings, the following tie-breaking procedures shall be applied and all regular

season games, both district/region and non-district/non-region, shall count. If at any point when the following tiebreaking

procedures are applied, one team has beaten all the other teams that are tied for a play-off position, that

team shall be rated above the others. After any position in the district/region standings has been determined, the

tie-breaker procedure shall begin all over again to determine the next position. This procedure shall be repeated

to determine all places in the district/region.

1. The team with the greatest number of victories.

2. The team who plays the greatest number of team who win 50 percent or more of their games.

3. The team who has the greatest number of victories over teams winning 50 percent or more of their games.

4. The team whose opponents have earned the most victories.

5. The team whose opponents have received fewer defeats.

6. The team who has the greatest number of victories over teams in its own class.

7. Ten yard-line overtime procedure at neutral site Monday night at 7:30 P.M.

Once the district/region champions and runners up have been determined, the remainder of the 32 team bracket

in 3A, 4A, 5A, and 6A and the remainder of the 24 team bracket in 1A and 2A shall be completed with teams as

they appear on the overall standings within each classification (1A, 2A, 3A, 4A, 5A, and 6A). The standings will

be determined with the following criteria:

"If at any point when the following tiebreaking procedures are applied, one team has beaten all the other teams that are tied for a play-off position, that team shall be rated above the others." (emphasis mine) That is the key statement.

And you're right, the district champion gets no special privileges in seeding, only the guarantee of a bid. The wild-card criteria are the only ones that matter in the seeding. This is a change from last year.

"If at any point when the following tiebreaking procedures are applied, one team has beaten all the other teams that are tied for a play-off position, that team shall be rated above the others." (emphasis mine) That is the key statement.

And you're right, the district champion gets no special privileges in seeding, only the guarantee of a bid. The wild-card criteria are the only ones that matter in the seeding. This is a change from last year.

That makes perfect sense to me. I guess what I was confused about was how a team that finished 2nd in a district could actually be ranked higher in the playoff standings. I have been struggling with this for some time now after I saw some of the standings that have been coming out by the TSSAA. For the record, I agree with the head to head and think if the district ends up the way I first explained it, then Columbia should be the champs. Call me old school but I for one think head to head matchups should rule!

This statement is incorrect. The TSSAA plainly states the following "when the following tie breaking procedures are applied and one team has beaten all the others(by the tie breaking rules) then that team shall be rated above the others. It never once says anything about head to head. Therefore, the winner of the Tullahoma/Lawrence County game will be the District 8AAA champion. The way this playoff scenario works out, the first tie breaker would eliminate Lincoln County/Shelbyville winner and Tullahoma. That would then leave Lawrence County and Columbia tied. The next tie breaker would then be looked at. This would eliminate Columbia and therefore Lawrence County would be the "one team that has beaten all the other teams" that were tied. Not once does the TSSAA ever say anything about head to head. Not in the District standings and not in the playoff standings. Now this is only true if Marshall County loses to Giles County as was mentioned in the original post. If Marshall County wins then the two teams would still be tied and tie breaker 3 would be looked at. From what I can gather there would still be a tie if Lincoln County beats Shelbyville. If Shelbyville wins then Columbia would win the district. If not then tie breaker 4 comes into play. I have punched in the numbers and it appears that Columbia would then win the district in tie breaker 5 by one game. Of course there is still one more week of football and lots of numbers can change. The main thing is that head to head is not a factor in determining the district standings nor the playoff standings.

This statement is incorrect. The TSSAA plainly states the following "when the following tie breaking procedures are applied and one team has beaten all the others(by the tie breaking rules) then that team shall be rated above the others. It never once says anything about head to head. Therefore, the winner of the Tullahoma/Lawrence County game will be the District 8AAA champion. The way this playoff scenario works out, the first tie breaker would eliminate Lincoln County/Shelbyville winner and Tullahoma. That would then leave Lawrence County and Columbia tied. The next tie breaker would then be looked at. This would eliminate Columbia and therefore Lawrence County would be the "one team that has beaten all the other teams" that were tied. Not once does the TSSAA ever say anything about head to head. Not in the District standings and not in the playoff standings. Now this is only true if Marshall County loses to Giles County as was mentioned in the original post. If Marshall County wins then the two teams would still be tied and tie breaker 3 would be looked at. From what I can gather there would still be a tie if Lincoln County beats Shelbyville. If Shelbyville wins then Columbia would win the district. If not then tie breaker 4 comes into play. I have punched in the numbers and it appears that Columbia would then win the district in tie breaker 5 by one game. Of course there is still one more week of football and lots of numbers can change. The main thing is that head to head is not a factor in determining the district standings nor the playoff standings.

OK..............now I am really, really confused! This is actually the way I thought it was too. I didn't think I had read it wrong but one never knows. I was really just wanting to know who would win the district but the way the TSSAA has the playoffs set up it really doesn't mean as much now as it once did. I guess the winner can have bragging rights and can actually celebrate about 4 to 5 hours longer since the TSSAA will be delaying the playoff standings until high noon on Saturday now :roflol: Right or wrong we will find out who was right sometime next week. Thanks for the responses!

This District race could go all the way to having to play a mini game from the 10 yard line. I have looked at the numbers and there is a small chance these two teams could actually have to meet at a neutral field and get it on. That would be something else if that happens. Of course it would be an outside chance and everything would have to work out just right. It looks like LCHS, with a win, will win the tie breaker #2. I for one will be paying close attention to this district. Is there any other districts that are this tight?