How can we make Volleyball a sanctioned sport?

bigfoot1200

With recent struggles to organize around the state tournament, it has brought to the surface frustration with school administration, costs etc. So how did basketball and football become sanctioned? Let's reveal the beginning and continue to push for the same with volleyball. Volleyball is no longer a game from gym class, however it is obvious it does not get the respect as does other sports. Does the money come first? ticket sales? or if the game is promoted the sales will come?

I loved basketball and still do; until I was introduced to volleyball! Our team will be participating in the State Tournament; with that being said we still are transporting the players to and from the hotels and games while basketball and football benefit from buses and other advantages during the regular season.

I am suggesting the much needed changes to see that the players and families are given the same opportunities the other sports get----sooner. Your input is requested.

Competitor

Group:

Members Posts:

359 Joined:

15-September 04 Posted 3 days ago

bigfoot1200, on 22 October 2010 - 04:00 PM, said:

What's sad is that because the volleyball tournament is on weekdays and in the day many parents won't be their either. Especially from the far corners of the state. I understand the location/court issue, however can it ever be that the biggest volleybll event for the teams of the year will be held through a weekend? Everyone is used to tournaments being held over a weekend anyway. Splain the basis of this to me pleeze.

Clifford

Bigfoot, I completely agree. The time and dates of the state tourny are crazy. I am sure it does come down to court availablility, but there has to be a better solution this Wed and Thurday.

Dragonmaster

Challenger

Group:

CoachT+ Posts:

607 Joined:

27-October 06 Posted A day ago

Volleyball won't pay for itself no matter when you play the games...Weekday games are not good for any sport but they occur in all of them except football. it is the nature of the beast.

Dragonmaster

Dragonmaster

Challenger

Group:

CoachT+ Posts:

607 Joined:

27-October 06 Posted A day ago

Volleyball won't pay for itself no matter when you play the games...Weekday games are not good for any sport but they occur in all of them except football. it is the nature of the beast.

Dragonmaster

Edited by PHargis

RD, you might like to join in, after the State is over, to discuss 1200's issues since there are simularities and not so many simularities depending on how the sport is handled in the school. It is the business end of high school sports and how they are handled in each school which means they likely can't be and are not the same. I am afraid some who have posted on here do not understand everyone elses issues. Coaches understand more so if they are teachers but non certified and teaching teachers do not know and this sport is full of those for whatever the reason and I have posted such within the last year. These are money and financing issues, title IX issues. Everyone is under the gun on this one, schools, parents, etc. Stay tuned, the simularites between club and school are fixing the raise their head. This subject is a thorny one, one of organization and has been written about extensively for volleyball by university coaches. Maybe not as complicated for baseball but still there.