Karns dominated?

TheEdge2010

Coach Williams can defend herself and likely will not even read this site. You said you called the TSSAA and they evidently gave you an answer. That's over with. Club owners run Clubs and hire people to run their teams. They have a more than passing interest in how some of their teams stack up during the summer with players of other clubs in the State and even players at different schools during the school year on a club.

Those are the facts. My pay grade does not allow me to say that is a violation except she is running a business with independent contractors. I see other club owners doing the same things, not very often, but it is a part of the things they do to compare their product with other products. Recruiting??? You mentioned that you called and talked with the TSSAA about the matter. I suggested you do that or talk to a principal. Getting on this site and doing reruns will not solve a thing. Talking to parents is great but I wonder what your role is in any of this unless you are a club coach, you are a parent or you are a high school or asst coach somewhere. You bash the TSSAA and officials but Associations run and schedule the officials. They are independent contractors. Volleyball operations in Hermitage is of the highest level. You are sensitive to the players and likely parents. Not many have disagreed with your selection of Ravenwood in fact some have agreed with you. the State tournament has been held and Karns did very good being one of the 8 AAA schools in the state. Ravenwood won it but to just get there is an accomplishment. I post all of this to ask, who is disagreeing with you. Only thing I can see is your perceived violations which the TSSAA ruled on that you talked to a parent about. It is a local District 3 and 4 issue that you can talk to the Knoxville Office of the TSSAA about. With all of the turnover going on in coaching at those two Districts, its a wonder anyone got out of that region to State. IMO, Karns represented you well. If you want someone else to go to STATE, next year beat them. The TSSAA does accept winners at State.

Pageman, I heard from a parent a few minutes ago that coaching was a issue. Karns didnt work on or use to its advantage all the options they had. Was coach Williams that bad there? I too feel they had the talent but were under coached at times.

I find it interesting when people get on here and take shots at a coach that took their team to the state. It's KARNS high school. SHe has turned Karns into a very good program--which is amazing in itself. Until a couple of years ago about 10 people outside of Knoxville had even heard of Karns Volleyball. They also didn't have the best talent. They had a couple of really great players with good players around them--just like the other 5 teams that weren't in the finals. (the notion that they were the most talented or athletic team there is crazy) Their serve receive hurt them, and if a middle dominated team doesn't pass, middles are almost useless...but the two teams that beat them are very good serving teams...probably the best in the tournament. And beleive me...I am sure that Coach works on service receive everyday. So take a step back and look at their season. THe two best teams in the state were DB and Ravenwood....there is no debate about that. was Karns a top 4 team...probably so, they just got beat by a great defensive Indy team and a dominant Ravenwood team.

Congrats to Karns and Coach on a great two year run.

TSSAA , WHY WOULD I WANT TO TALK TO THESE CLOWNS? Hargis you defend these jokers often, If someone doesnt stand up for whats right then sports as we know it is finished. No longer can a young person play and enjoy the sport, we now must play year around to polish our skills. TSSAA DONT AND WILL NOT STAND UP FOR ANYTHING THAT DONT INVOLVE MONEY. Ive seen practices in dead periods, illegal players moving from school to school, and just a few short few yrs ago 21 yrs olds playing high school sports. But what does TSSAA say? NOTHING!Show them the money baby they need it for some more rounds of golf and drinks.

TSSAA , WHY WOULD I WANT TO TALK TO THESE CLOWNS? Hargis you defend these jokers often, If someone doesnt stand up for whats right then sports as we know it is finished. No longer can a young person play and enjoy the sport, we now must play year around to polish our skills. TSSAA DONT AND WILL NOT STAND UP FOR ANYTHING THAT DONT INVOLVE MONEY. Ive seen practices in dead periods, illegal players moving from school to school, and just a few short few yrs ago 21 yrs olds playing high school sports. But what does TSSAA say? NOTHING!Show them the money baby they need it for some more rounds of golf and drinks.

TE, your post is very interesting and I am beginning to see your point. I am not in your shoes and my world seems to be much different than your. Let me explain. You are not the only person who has posted that seem to have come to these conclusions. As with the others, my world is not as narrow as yours, Again, let me explain. The TSSAA does not control my life. It does not control yours. It was started by the Schools to make sure member schools were all following the rules. They can't know everything thats going on. My world is different than yours. The TSSAA does not control my life. They only act as an authority to help schools understand the rules and go by them. Sports have changed. They don't control my life either. I can either be as good as I waant or not. Its up to me. Most people want to be as good as they can be but your right some do not care and had rather play casually. Its your free choice. To be as good as you want, playing year round is your choice. I'm not sure anyone agrees with doing that but its your choice. The Tssaa has noting to do with it. Each sport has rules. These are not made by the TSSAA but are implemented by Officials associations thruout the state. There are other rules that are covered by the TSSAA called rules of play. These cover numerous things.

You can elect to play under the rules or you don't really have to. its your choice. You can play casually or you don't have to play at all. Its your choice. If you want to be the best you can be you can put in any anount of hours you wa Innt. If you don't, its your choice. No one says you have to do anything to be a casual player. Playing year round is not required unless you want to. Its your choice. Unfortunately there are not many casual play courts around or in the back yard or at a rec center, the casual player can enjoy them selves. It is true that competitive play does require a better skill set and a coach. most schools have PE programs and communities have REC centers for play. No one says you have to be on a structured team. its your choice. If all of your frieds are on a team and you aren't, choices have to be made. Should you be there, or not play. If you are there, likely some of your friends like to win and may ask you about your skills. You can try to be better or not. its your choice, the TSSAA has nothing to do with it, its your choice. Lets say you want to represent your school as you find you are pretty good and you might want to help, playing volleyball, pay your way thru /college. Then you have a choice. If you want to do that, some extra time in the gym might help, as you say to hone your skills. its not something you have to do but to be better will take some extra time. if you don't want to do it, don't pursue it. its your choice. The TSSAA has nothing to do with it.

What you say is true, the TSSAA is involved with competitive sports in schools and likely will cost money if pursued. Cut backs in education funding has cut back some positions, not by choice but if the schools have no money to fund, the programs are being cut. The TSSAA would like to fund but someone is not giving them the money. They are not directly the reason for lack of funding.'t

Now lets get to all of the things you mentioned about infractions. My world does not see very many of those things as does yours. This is an imperfect world and there is no way to keep everything from happening. You just play thru them. My world does not see golf and drinks. Maybe yours does so I can't relate to that. It makes me think that yours is a local problem not to suggest that most all schoool related things seems to be underfunded but thats another topic for another thread. Your right, I can't totally agree with your post but in your area you seem to have some merit.

PH The Edge is correct.

Edge comes from Farragut which lost their best player (Karns big middle) to recruiting, just like Powell lost its OH.

As has been reported here, the Karns coach is not very good, but she is a GREAT recruiter. The school could care less what is going on, and the TSSAA isn't going to get involved in volleyball.

I was at the state tournament and was not surprised. Karns had great talent, but you can't win without coaching.

Knoxville volleyball was down this year. Anderson County was a sophomore team, Catholic was hurt by a key injury, and Farragut had a new coach. Next season Karns won't even be heard from, unless more recruits are brought in.

This is high school, not college.

Then what you are saying, next year everyone will be down. Posting with a lot of respect, two or three players do not a whole region make unless there are other issues, i.e, not enough kids even wanting to play. That may not be the case but if it is, a lot of supporters there sure have egg on their face. The end of the earth is not here. but something is happening. If all of the players in the region is on the Karns roster, there is no teaching going on. If the only Club there is Phoenix, and its not, things should get competitive. Look what you have, Coaches leaving and retiring, Club coaches going to high schools because theres no one to Coach, evidently theres no reliable booster support which means that there is no financial support and evidently everyone is talking gloom and doom. Tnank goodness for Catholic and Anderson County, they haven't given up. Karns hasn't either becasue with the loss of their seniors, they sure had a bench full of people and someone is there to fill the holes. Even OR has taken steps to fill a roster. All because a coach has had a good year and many are crying she is not a good coach and someone else is crying that coaches are working the players to hard and making them hone their skills. Give me a break, Someone has driven the coaches away from the schools and hard work is ahead, and according to you some coach is the reason. I can only say to you look in the mirror and you will find out where the problem is. Not every school is complaining and schools with 1800-2000 students and a feeder MS system who does not even acknowledge volleyball exists and you can't see the problem?????????

And then I guess the next thing that will happen someone will say the clubs aren't traing enoough younger players. When is someone going to go to the school system and ask why Middle Schools can't have volleyballenough to ask why????? No teachers that know it????????? Who has been an advocate enough to ask why Middle School girls can be exposed???? Hello!!!!!!!!! Is there anyone out there!!! Why lets just blame it on the TSSAA also, they can take it. And how about golf and drinking, they are two good prospects. You are not alone. For some reason, some of the sharpest people in the state, educators, have not discovered that you can't wait till high school to teach a subject with as many complicated turns as Volleyball and get girls interested in playing at a time when their main interest likely is boys. Give me another break!!!!! I can only say this and I'll get off my soapbox. Good athletic teams take more than recruiting. You can blame a successful coach but if what you have got is not attractive and you can't make it that way, send them to another girls sport. if it is important and your Middle School principal doesn't have a clue, clue him or her in to the real world, diversity, and if someone does not have a realistic Club with reasonable prices, find one and get one started. for some reason you are letting the system beat you down because of the success of one coach.

She found the MS player in a Middle School and tghe parents were interested enough to move. She had a plan. Where are all of yours!!!!! Signing off.

Edited by PHargis

Why dont we just get rid of TSSAA and play club level since we have no high school coaches anymore. This is going to be a mess this coming year. Karns is already looking for the best players at club level. Someone better watch the chicken house, the fox is on the prowl. TSSAA ISNT GOING TO DO IT!

Why dont we just get rid of TSSAA and play club level since we have no high school coaches anymore. This is going to be a mess this coming year. Karns is already looking for the best players at club level. Someone better watch the chicken house, the fox is on the prowl. TSSAA ISNT GOING TO DO IT!

If the parents want to move residence to play for Karns...then more power to them.

PH The Edge is correct.

Edge comes from Farragut which lost their best player (Karns big middle) to recruiting, just like Powell lost its OH.

As has been reported here, the Karns coach is not very good, but she is a GREAT recruiter. The school could care less what is going on, and the TSSAA isn't going to get involved in volleyball.

I was at the state tournament and was not surprised. Karns had great talent, but you can't win without coaching.

Knoxville volleyball was down this year. Anderson County was a sophomore team, Catholic was hurt by a key injury, and Farragut had a new coach. Next season Karns won't even be heard from, unless more recruits are brought in.

This is high school, not college.

OK HERE GOES. I HAVE BEEN READING POSTS FOR SEVERAL YEARS ABOUT "THE FARRAGUT MIDDLE" WELL HERE'S A NEWS BULLETIN.....The 'Middle from Farragut'- was never recruited; she was kicked out of Farragut because of rediculous RE-ZONING. Her parents tried 4 times with no success to get her back at Farragut? Phone calls, letters, visits downtown, even tried the legal route but there was no way they were going to allow a kid to stay at FHS because it was 'over-crowded'. Maybe coach Moore (FHS) should have done something? Maybe the FH volleyball parents could have done more? Maybe Farragut should be mad at Knox County. Without rezoning she would have played for Farragut. (Recent articles predict they may re zone back....yet another story). The parents tried for months to work with Knox County School District but the answer was, "no way". The parents never heard of Coach Williams and knew nothing about Karns when they were told their daughter would have to change schools. She was devistated. Please quit spreading lies about what you think you know. You are making up stories about one kid. A good kid. and all this to get back at a coach or program.

Parents do what they can to see that their child has a good school and good future, by moving to Farragut Schools they thought.. Give 100% credit to them for doing their best with a bad situation- for heaven's sake DO NOT credit recruiting, that's insulting to the nightmare they went thru. The kid wanted to play volleyball in college; she loves it that much. She's that good. Now she will play in College with a scholarship for which she has earned. She signs this month to head to Wingate (N.C.) in the fall. We love her.

For some very good reasons, I believe this post. Thinking back, I can now see the resemblence. After talking with this poster at least twice in the past few months, once at State, and reading this post, I now am convinced and believe this is what happened. Does that mean someone is untruthful, I didn't say that. But enough happens, and many think becasue of circumstances, they know the truth about matters. They can be wrong. Having to go thru something like this and being a non controversal person especially when someone very dear to them is likely a non controversal person also, and just wants to be a part of a school and team, and to read all of this garbage is likely hurtful. I even talked with the coach a short time and very nicely she said "I've got enough to think about without having to defend myself against something that is untrue." This poster showed up a short time later. I think this poster has enough first hand evidence of conversations when it happened, that this should be over with. I am convinced that this coach does not want to get the player and parents involved in any way Because its over. The season is over. All want closure to this matter. Now what about all of these other matters? Cifford expressed my sentiments exactly. If a player and parents wants to be associated with a coach on a team and for some reason wants to move to another zone to get a better education or some better subjects they need to further their education, and they want to go to great expense to do so, its their right and choice to do so. Somebody somewhere might not like it but it gives no one the right to get on this site and dog them. Should a coach do things to entice players to change schools. No. That thing was investigated before and I read it in the TSSAA minutes. So now the TSSAA has agin been accused, the sport for asking players to hone their skills, and finding about every conceivable reason for something to be wrong with something. The season is over. Good luck to all.

Announcements