Help, Need game for week 9, 2011

FootballDad

If yall are not opposed to traveling to the Chattanooga area, I would love to see how Sequatchie Co. could far against a knoxville school. Our team this year is mostly Sophmores and Juniors including a 1000 yard rusher. And Sequatchie always travels good, brought nearly 400 to Pigeon Forge a few years ago. I dont no wat coach barger has so far heard rumors of adding 6A soddy daisy but we should have the last two weeks availible

Thanks, I'll pass Sequatchie Co.'s name to Coach Bradley right now. We definitley are not oppossed to traveling to Chattanooga. We had a series with Boyd Buchanan a couple years back, but sadly we couldn't get it renewed.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All of those teams have district games weeks 7 - 10 as do a lot of schools. I would imagine that CAK is going to have a hard time scheduling a week 7 or week 9 game.

You're correct. Very difficult, thats the only reason I've resorted to this forum, so maybe I can drum up something that Coach Bradley hasn't already thought about. I know he's contacted over 70 schools thus far. If Elizabethton (our week 9 opponent the past 2 years) would just renew the contract things would be fine, but for some reason that doesn't seem likely. I wish our district would expand and add a team from a district that has 8 or 9 schools so we wouldn't be faced with having to find 5 non-district games every 2 years.

By the way ColumbiaBNS: I must have missed it, but when did ya'll replace the Roadrunner on the side of the helmet with the AE? I just noticed that lastnight in a photo I saw.

You're correct. Very difficult, thats the only reason I've resorted to this forum, so maybe I can drum up something that Coach Bradley hasn't already thought about. I know he's contacted over 70 schools thus far. If Elizabethton (our week 9 opponent the past 2 years) would just renew the contract things would be fine, but for some reason that doesn't seem likely. I wish our district would expand and add a team from a district that has 8 or 9 schools so we wouldn't be faced with having to find 5 non-district games every 2 years.

By the way ColumbiaBNS: I must have missed it, but when did ya'll replace the Roadrunner on the side of the helmet with the AE? I just noticed that lastnight in a photo I saw.

The AE on the helmet came this season with the new head coach.

The main issue I believe is simply the financial aid/scholarship players that DII schools recruit and put on the field. I've heard numbers as high as 75% of a DII schools starting lineup being scholarship athletes (not sure what Webb's is, haven't heard that number) A "hand picked team" if you will. While CAK, being a private school, gets unjustly accussed of recruiting athletes with financial incentives, we do not do that. I believe the powers that be feel like we should play against schools that do not offer scholarships. Not saying that I agree, just trying to answer the question.

75% of the starters? Heck, why not 75% of the whole darn team? Starters have to be replaced at some point due to graduation or attrition, so similar logic would follow that they are being replaced by “scholarship†players.

Is a player receiving $6.5K in aid at Webb, where the tuition is about $15K, at any more of an advantage than a player at CAK, where tuition is about $8.5K? That is what is warped about the financial aid rules in this state. Look at it another way: a student whose family can afford to pay $5K towards tuition would be eligible to play sports at Webb. He would not be able to play at CAK. Go figure.

The powers-that-be need to stop drinking the Kool Aid. Many of the larger DII schools have their financial information posted in local newspapers each year (and that information itself is available in public tax returns found on the internet), and the percentage of students who receive aid in the typical school is usually anywhere between 5-20%. And that 5-20%, on average, is each paying at least $7-8K out of pocket at the larger schools to complement the aid for which they are eligible. My guess is that some smart non-athletes qualify for aid, too.

Nevertheless, it’s the school’s decision – one made on principle, so it seems – and one can’t do anything but accept it. However, if it’s the “75%†that is the only factor playing into the decision not to play a DII school, then the parents at the school need to start clamoring for new powers-that-be who are willing to do some of their own free-thinking, or at the very least some simple discovery.

Sweep, many of us Warrior fans would like to continue to play Webb. Our football program continues to improve, especially in the past couple of years, and I believe the Warriors are capable of competing with the Spartans, not sure if we could win but they should be entertaining and very competitive games. We play each other in most other sports already. I know many of us have a great respect for Webbs athletic programs. I know CAK is actively soliciting a game with Catholic at this time.

The main issue I believe is simply the financial aid/scholarship players that DII schools recruit and put on the field. I've heard numbers as high as 75% of a DII schools starting lineup being scholarship athletes (not sure what Webb's is, haven't heard that number) A "hand picked team" if you will. While CAK, being a private school, gets unjustly accussed of recruiting athletes with financial incentives, we do not do that. I believe the powers that be feel like we should play against schools that do not offer scholarships. Not saying that I agree, just trying to answer the question.

You're right, it would be a very competitive series between CAK and Webb. Last year and this year, Webb has probably fielded two of their very best football teams in several years so maybe you wouldn't have won but we'll never know for sure because they stopped playing each other in varsity football yet they play each other in practically everything else. Nevertheless, Webb is always trying to schedule local teams and over the past 9 years or so they haven't lost to a Knox County public school, which at different times included Bearden, Powell, West, AE, Halls and Central. I think Halls and Central are on the schedule for next year again but as a Webb supporter I would have really liked to get CAK back on the schedule. Webb also has Catholic which leaves one spot open. I've heard rumors about who is going to fill that spot, and if true, it will be a huge upgrade to next year's schedule.

In regard to the 75% of a DII's school starting lineup being on financial aid, I really don't know for certain about other DII schools... but Webb is way below that percentage. Also, just a point of clarification... DII schools do not offer/give scholarships, instead it's need-based financial aid that is determined by a third party entity located in another state. I know it may be parsing words to some but scholarship could imply that Webb decides who gets aid and how much. In fact, I have never heard of a student at Webb having their complete tuition paid for. Like I said, it's need-based and is usually just a percentage using many factors that the third party uses in their calculations.

Anyway, sorry this really isn't on topic but good luck to CAK finding someone to play. I would love to see ya'll pick up Catholic!

Edited by PowerSweep

75% of the starters? Heck, why not 75% of the whole darn team? Starters have to be replaced at some point due to graduation or attrition, so similar logic would follow that they are being replaced by “scholarship†players.

Is a player receiving $6.5K in aid at Webb, where the tuition is about $15K, at any more of an advantage than a player at CAK, where tuition is about $8.5K? That is what is warped about the financial aid rules in this state. Look at it another way: a student whose family can afford to pay $5K towards tuition would be eligible to play sports at Webb. He would not be able to play at CAK. Go figure.

The powers-that-be need to stop drinking the Kool Aid. Many of the larger DII schools have their financial information posted in local newspapers each year (and that information itself is available in public tax returns found on the internet), and the percentage of students who receive aid in the typical school is usually anywhere between 5-20%. And that 5-20%, on average, is each paying at least $7-8K out of pocket at the larger schools to complement the aid for which they are eligible. My guess is that some smart non-athletes qualify for aid, too.

Nevertheless, it’s the school’s decision – one made on principle, so it seems – and one can’t do anything but accept it. However, if it’s the “75%†that is the only factor playing into the decision not to play a DII school, then the parents at the school need to start clamoring for new powers-that-be who are willing to do some of their own free-thinking, or at the very least some simple discovery.

You make some valid points. I don't think the 75% is really a factor at all, just a number that came up in a discussion regarding DII. I believe you are on target when saying it is a decision based on principle. I know several parents who wanted us to go DII a couple years ago when all the realignment took place, primarily because they felt we would be better suited to compete for championships than in the public school division with the 1.8 multiplier and of course Alcoa. But the school administrators (not athletic coaches) quickly ended any thoughts of that.

[Anyway, sorry this really isn't on topic but good luck to CAK finding someone to play. I would love to see ya'll pick up Catholic!

The DII and DI and 1.8 multiplier and Open Zoning issues are all worthy topics of debate, as both you and I have been involved in many of those discussions with various people on more than one occassion. :D

But for the topic at hand, I hope Catholic works out as well, but I'm not holding my breath. There are so many variables when trying to put together a schedule, and the TSSAA has made it significantly more difficult for us all with their new playoff qualifications. Additionally, you have to be a smart administrator and know how to manage your team with a balance of opponents that challenge you to get better but don't physically or emotionally deplete your capability to compete and win in the post season. Oh well, glad those are not my decisions, I'm just out here trying to drum up leads.

Edited by FootballDad

Good post rollredroll... I believe Webb is right in line with your 5-20% average with several of those students not being athletes. Instead they are from families who want their child to go to a very good college prep private school and take advantage of the tremendous art, drama, music etc. programs that Webb offers.