Columbia Central-Knox Catholic

muffin

Last year was understandable with the coaching change and moving into another classification.Coach Meadows system was obviously radically different than that of Coach Pemberton. Not to say it is better or worse...just different. Most of the kids playing came up playing for CYS and they had put in very similar schemes to Coach Pemberton through middle school and then into high school. Expectations have been very high for the past 6 or 7 years and justified with the talent at hand. I think season-ending injuries to 2 or 3 key starters in the pre-season put a big damper on this season. Not many schools can afford to lose a D-1 signee and another key starter and not suffer. Since we are the smallest school enrollment-wise in our division, depth becomes an issue. I think if you look at our players, you would see a good deal of talent but most are forced to play both ways and fatigue eventually becomes a factor along with the nagging injuries that come during the course of a season. I know every school has to deal with this but with a student body of 650 kids it is a littele tougher.

You got a different take?

Yup. The defenese is not suited to the personnel. Big up front, and more than enough to go 2-deep. Good size at LB, but not fast or athletic. Poor change of direction ability. Corners were small, and not as athletic as they would need to be at that size. Decent speed. The safety(s) were not big, athletic, or fast enough to cover the amount of field required when having only three back there a good deal of the time.

Should have run more 6-2, or base 5-3. Keep OL off the LBs and give both LBs and DBs more time to react (poor change of direction), and get there (slow). The downside of that is that the kids would have become worn down in the game, but given that this was not the base front, they should have had much more rotation up front. So, the argument that the kids got tired is valid, but also highlights very poor coaching from a stratgic and tactical perspective.

Offensively, I'd have put that freshman at qb, and run anything but the spread. Best athlete on the team. Could have run the option, wing-t, I, veer, wildcat, and really controlled the clock in a lot of games. Too many short drive or 3 and outs, which put the big guys back on defense running around, chasing and getting.....tired. Again, poor scheme will cause poor execution. Those big OL would have worn a lot of teams down, by just grinding at 4yards a pop. Would have leveled the playing field in the 3rd and 4th because no way do the big guys get as tierd on O as they do on D.

I'd also say that collectively they lack explosion and while big, there is little pop to much of the players. They seem strong, but just dont get to the target with the kind of drive through numbers with the hips you would expect. Much of that is manifested in poor change of direction and tackling. Webb does this well. Maybe more focus on power cleans in the weight room, and plyometrics during speed and conditioning work?

There seems to be very little in the area of in game adjustments, and a sort of blind faith in the systems being run on offense and defense without much consideration to the personnel, their strengths and liabilities. A lot of penalties. I'm a box score guy, and I don't recall a game over the last few years where they did not double the oppositions penalty yardage.

Here's the bad news. Webb is getting better. CAK is getting better. Hardin Valley is getting better. Farragut fielded their youngest team in years. West is getting better. Bearden won't have their stud, but they'll keep on track because of Taylor. That means kids that might have thought about heading your way are far less likely to do that. The really bad news is that you lose a majority of the good OL and DL and ain't got much in the cupboard

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[Yup. The defenese is not suited to the personnel. Big up front, and more than enough to go 2-deep. Good size at LB, but not fast or athletic. Poor change of direction ability. Corners were small, and not as athletic as they would need to be at that size. Decent speed. The safety(s) were not big, athletic, or fast enough to cover the amount of field required when having only three back there a good deal of the time.

Should have run more 6-2, or base 5-3. Keep OL off the LBs and give both LBs and DBs more time to react (poor change of direction), and get there (slow). The downside of that is that the kids would have become worn down in the game, but given that this was not the base front, they should have had much more rotation up front. So, the argument that the kids got tired is valid, but also highlights very poor coaching from a stratgic and tactical perspective.

Offensively, I'd have put that freshman at qb, and run anything but the spread. Best athlete on the team. Could have run the option, wing-t, I, veer, wildcat, and really controlled the clock in a lot of games. Too many short drive or 3 and outs, which put the big guys back on defense running around, chasing and getting.....tired. Again, poor scheme will cause poor execution. Those big OL would have worn a lot of teams down, by just grinding at 4yards a pop. Would have leveled the playing field in the 3rd and 4th because no way do the big guys get as tierd on O as they do on D.

I'd also say that collectively they lack explosion and while big, there is little pop to much of the players. They seem strong, but just dont get to the target with the kind of drive through numbers with the hips you would expect. Much of that is manifested in poor change of direction and tackling. Webb does this well. Maybe more focus on power cleans in the weight room, and plyometrics during speed and conditioning work?

There seems to be very little in the area of in game adjustments, and a sort of blind faith in the systems being run on offense and defense without much consideration to the personnel, their strengths and liabilities. A lot of penalties. I'm a box score guy, and I don't recall a game over the last few years where they did not double the oppositions penalty yardage.

Here's the bad news. Webb is getting better. CAK is getting better. Hardin Valley is getting better. Farragut fielded their youngest team in years. West is getting better. Bearden won't have their stud, but they'll keep on track because of Taylor. That means kids that might have thought about heading your way are far less likely to do that. The really bad news is that you lose a majority of the good OL and DL and ain't got much in the cupboard

Wow. Pretty in-depth answer. I won't disagree with any thing you've said except for the QB change. Wegzyn came in with a lot of hype and seemed perfectly suited for the spread we run. Wharton will either be the QB next year or I see the Wildcat package coming into play. In high school I think your schemes need to change to suit your personnel and it may vary from year to year. I'm a basketball guy so I will defer to your expertise on the rest of it. But that matches input I've heard from people far more knowledgeable that me football-wise

Oppressed...I'm assuming someone got your password and posted under your name. hahahaha

Hopefully we will take care of business. We've only played up to our potential in spots. Maybe we can put it together for the playoffs.

And since I'm much more open minded than you, I have no qualms about cheering for your MAVs(especially against Powell). Make sure you keep your dressing room locked! LOL

Good luck on your playoff run.

By the way this new district stuff doesn't have the old funtrash talking that the old district had!!!!

Bump! Would love to have the old AE, Fulton, and yes...Catholic games to play again! We just loved to hate you guys!

Wow. Pretty in-depth answer. I won't disagree with any thing you've said except for the QB change. Wegzyn came in with a lot of hype and seemed perfectly suited for the spread we run. Wharton will either be the QB next year or I see the Wildcat package coming into play. In high school I think your schemes need to change to suit your personnel and it may vary from year to year. I'm a basketball guy so I will defer to your expertise on the rest of it. But that matches input I've heard from people far more knowledgeable that me football-wise

Can't earn, keep any job (life or sport) based on hype. If manager, or coach sacrifices the good of the business, or team based on hype, potential....the losses are on the leader. Deal with it head on. Some will get their feelings hurt. Most will see it as being best for the team. When the leader avoids conflict early, those being led sense weakness, question direction, lose purpose & drive. Usually wind up with a mentally weak, underperforming business...or team