Tullahoma at Columbia

binns37388

Thanks to Tullahoma's win over a good Lawrence Co team, 28-14, the Cats advance to the 3rd round of the TSSAA 5A State Playoffs. Tullahoma travels to Columbia, despite beating the Lions in week 2 and winning the District 8AAA championship. Columbia has several players who may play D1 college football next season and the Lions beat a good Knoxville Catholic team Friday night. The last time the Cats went to the state quarterfinals was 1987. I think the crowd Friday night at Tullahoma really helped the Cats and I'm sure Tullahoma fans will flock to Columbia on Nov. 19th. In the first meeting between these two teams, Tullahoma won the first half and Columbia won the second half. It took a fake PAT for a 2pt conversion to beat the Lions in overtime. Both teams have improved since then with the Lions able to throw the ball much better and the Cats defense seems to be peaking at the right time. It should be a fantastic game with the winner hosting a semi-final game the following Friday.

• Upvote 1

I for one am defiantly looking forward to this game I've been getting criticized because i haven't been to a single Central game all year so im finally going. When I watched the Central Tullahoma game on TV i noticed that the refs where calling everything they could which I thought was ridiculous, and could have been a much better game on our hands towards the end if they didn't call everything. I for one hope the refs here this game will be a lil less "flag happy" if they are i say we could have a very good game on our hands

Considering the fact that the cats have made it this far, I'll state the obvious first. T-town has to continue to win the battle in the trenches and the defense has to continue to be stingy. I don't think we can expect the big plays on offense like we've recently had.(Although, a few couldn't hurt.) Defensively, we can't afford to give up the big play either. That's a tall order against a team like Columbia. We, as coaches and parents, always preach to our kids not to look ahead. To take it one game at a time. In this game, we need to get even finer than that. We need to take it one play at a time. On both sides of the ball, we need to win the play in front of us and not look to the next play. The more plays we win, the better our chances are. We need to throw the entire playbook into this game and utilize every offensive threat that we have.(When the opportunites present themselves, of course. Not just for the sake of doing it.) We have to find a way to keep Columbia's defense off balance. ;)

This should be another great match. II am pulling for Tullahoma, but will have to give Columbia the edge since they are playing at home.

Good luck to both teams.

GO FALCONS!!!!!

That is kinda the way I feel about this game, also. The Cats were drilled last year at Columbia. The Cats defense will have to play its best game and the offense probably needs to score 28-35 pts to win. Tullahoma, although they beat Columbia 21-20, was held to 13pts in regulation by the Lions.

Whatever happened last year has no bearing on this year. Both teams are much different and obviously Tullahoma is much better.

Tullahoma's defense also held Columbia to 13 points in regulation.

The winner will host the semifinal game and will be the favorite to advance to the BlueCross Bowl.

The Lions, on the basis of their title game appearance last year and their No. 1 seed this year must be considered the favorite at home.

The Wildcats will have to play their best game of the year to get the win.

Coach Olive had some interesting comments about some of Columbia's players on his TV show Saturday morning, especially Goff. He said he was talking to a "major" recruiter a couple of weeks ago, and the subject of Goff came up. The recruiter said the biggest problem with Goff was his lack of size (meaning height). Olive said he told the recruiter people were saying the same thing about Vincent Harris out of Georgia several years ago, and he wound up getting a chance at Auburn where he became a two-time All-SEC player. He said he told the recruiter he thought Goff was the same kind of player. His size doesn't matter so much because he's just a great football player, and some D-I school should give him a chance.

Olive also had high praise for the big lineman, Mason, saying he was the best the Wildcats faced this season. In addition, he said the Lions have another lineman (the name escapes me) who is "very good."

Columbia is the only team this year that seemed to have the Wildcats physically whipped in the second half of their game earlier in the season. Of course, that was an entire season ago (10 games) and Tullahoma is a much better team now than they were then. The same appears true for Columbia. After sputtering at times the first half of the season, the Lions appear to be really hitting their stride. I hear the Lions are throwing the ball much better these days. On the other hand, the Wildcats can still throw it and are running it much better than they could in the earlier meeting. Should be a great one. I wish it was Friday night.

I hope Tullahoma has a huge turnout in Columbia. We need to be in the seats in Columbia supporting this Wildcat team. It has been a good year so far and it has the potential to be great if the Cats can pull this one off. Let's make this game seem like it is in T-Town since it should be anyway.

Some of us, from Tullahoma, unfortunately wont be able to attend the Big Game. Our band has Midstate/Allstate auditions this weekend, and Friday night is the first home game of the season for our Tullahoma Basketball teams. Having said that,... LOTS OF T-Town hearts will be there with the boys cheering for you from afar and catching scores whenever we can. Its sad with so much going on that "some" can't attend, so those that CAN, PLEASE GO and SUPPORT the CATS! Those boys deserve everything this town can muster!

The band has played the song "Dont Stop Believing" for the football team this season so Please Dont. Keep that winning attitude and hard work ethic moving forward on the field.

ONward and UPward Tullahoma Wildcats!!!!

:thumb: NO RETREAT! NO SURRENDER ! :thumb:

WE Believe In YOU!

Edited by onpoint