Board of Control Meeting

Gerry Bertier

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone know how the discussion went at the BOC meeting yesterday about playoffs and possible reclassification?

It is not till Thursday. I got my dates mixed up also, called this morning to find out results and was told to look at the date again. :unsure:

I'm anxious to find out if they change the playoff format and what happens to South Gibson in our area.

There will only be adjustments made to districts with teams going up or down 20%. South Gibson will try to appeal going up but it won't happen. They will be placed in the district with Milan and create a 10 team district. Coaches want an East/West Split for 2 subgroups. This will put all 3a Teams along with Obion in one group and the 4A in another.

There will only be adjustments made to districts with teams going up or down 20%. South Gibson will try to appeal going up but it won't happen. They will be placed in the district with Milan and create a 10 team district. Coaches want an East/West Split for 2 subgroups. This will put all 3a Teams along with Obion in one group and the 4A in another.

Do you think that will happen? As a Milan fan would love to see it happen. I know we have lost some of our past opponents already so we are gonna have some slots to fill.

There will only be adjustments made to districts with teams going up or down 20%.

That is not what a lot of coaches are being told. They are being told there will be changes to some criteria for playoffs berths and even possible reclassification. Every 2 years they move schools up and down for the 20% rule, but this is the first year the TSSAA told coaches not to schedule games. That makes me think some changes are coming.

Edited by Gerry Bertier

That is not what a lot of coaches are being told. They are being told there will be changes to some criteria for playoffs berths and even possible reclassification. Every 2 years they move schools up and down for the 20% rule, but this is the first year the TSSAA told coaches not to schedule games. That makes me think some changes are coming.

Every Coach in the district knows that South Gibson is coming in and they have voted to split the district into 2 subgroups. The TSSAA will decide if it will be a North/South split or East/West. The coaches in the district know what's up and want the East/West split. There will be no classification changes for two years. I wish I was wrong but have talked to a few who will be making the decisions tomorrow. Barring a miracle only 20 schools will be moving up or down. Football committee will make recommendations after the championships are over. Booker T. Washington and Memphis Northside will be moving down to Single A that will change things up some. Signal Mountain will move up in East Tennessee to 4A and will help 2A out. There are several more but can read about it Friday morning in paper.

Edited by Coach

Every Coach in the district knows that South Gibson is coming in and they have voted to split the district into 2 subgroups. The TSSAA will decide if it will be a North/South split or East/West. The coaches in the district know what's up and want the East/West split. There will be no classification changes for two years. I wish I was wrong but have talked to a few who will be making the decisions tomorrow. Barring a miracle only 20 schools will be moving up or down. Football committee will make recommendations after the championships are over. Booker T. Washington and Memphis Northside will be moving down to Single A that will change things up some. Signal Mountain will move up in East Tennessee to 4A and will help 2A out. There are several more but can read about it Friday morning in paper.

Looks like you nailed it.

With the significant drop in students at GC due to South Gibson Co. being built, GC gave proposals to possibly drop down to 2A (where are numbers are at right now) or play an independent schedule. Both proposals were declined. Gibson Co. has no chance in the region we are in right now especially losing more and more students each year. When all the Medina kids that are at Gibson Co. right now graduate, Gibson Co. will for sure be a 2A school and possibly a large 1A. I don't think people realize how big of an impact South Gibson has done on GC as far as students. South Gibson is only in their 2nd year of existence and already a 3A school. Our non-region games next year will consist of Halls, West Carroll, and Stewart Co.

On a side note, all 10 teams that Gibson Co. had on their schedule this year, made the playoffs, lol.

I'm not 100% sure. I know we definately won't have that many next year. Before South Gibson was built, GC had around 175 students. In 2 school years, Gibson Co. has dropped nearly 200 students to South Gibson. In 2 more years, I see Gibson Co. dropping around another 100-150 students that are currently at GC right now that are from Medina putting us around 475-500 total students in the school. That's my figuring. I also figured in how many kids graduate from each feeder school into our high school.