Jo Byrns vs Perry Co.

theGURU

Battle of the Best.  

123 members have voted

1. 1. Who is headed to Cookeville to represent the West?

• Perry County
    • Jo Byrns

I think MtP will run the ball on anybody and did but their coach isnt as smart as a JB coach. MtP coach will get pass happy late in games. Lake Co. was 70% run and they we're 9-2 never held under 21 points. WC run ball pretty good even on you guys. We played a few strong running teams but I am sure nothing compared to JB. I think long ride and home field may help PC. Havent been beat in PC since middle of last season. PC Vikings all the way baby!!!!!!!:thumb: You think I am joking but I am not!:thumb:

The new Roy?

Alright I’ve got to put some folks on blast after some of their comments…

First the comment that JB relies too much on their running game...the running game is their strength. I don’t understand how your reliance on your strength is a weakness. Doesn’t every team do that?

Next this thought that JB isn’t balanced and that without balance they can’t win…go tell Union City, Trousdale County, South Pittsburg and rest of the state championship teams that have won without balance. Balance is overrated in 1A football…you pass for show and run for dough and you can take that to the bank. However, JB can and does pass the ball. Do we run some screens and “dump offsâ€; yes! But the last time I checked a forward pass is a forward pass. I’m sorry if our passing game doesn’t impress folks but we’re not here to impress. Our passing game is what I’d call a situational passing game. With that said, we have a lot of pass plays we run (successfully) and they’re not screens and dump offs.

Lastly, JB can and will expose PC’s secondary and it won’t be through the air…NCS, C’wood, & WC stacked the box, knew the plays that were coming and couldn’t stop it. That’s how you win championships!

Well said my man :thumb:

I actually don't talk the trash like I did on the thread with us but for real..think this is going to be a great game.PC owned the game but Lake Co did score once in the first quarter ,only to be called back and was moving the ball and was inside the 20 a couple more times.Plus ..had more quarteback fumble exchanges than we had all year.And a couple more times when Sam ran about 60 yards and late in the game ,was on about the 4 or 5 and was intercepted..PC deserved the win but Lake Co should have scored more points but didn't due to snap exchanges..interceptions.etc..Jo Byrnes may not do any of those things.I believe it's going to be a great game..But Tucker and Mercer made a believe out of me.He has a rifle arm.and run receivers long and can hit them from 50 + yards if they're open or send receivers long and dump the ball undreneath underneath or backs from the backfield..Should be two excellent teams Friday night.Anyone happen to know Tucker's mom?I believe someone told me her sister lives in Lake Co.If that's so.at least you have a Lake Co connection..Good luck to both teams.After seeing PC..didn't think they were going to be as good as they were..But I hear Jo Byrnes has a fine team also.Looks to be two very good football teams left.

Well if you notice I never said they should get away from there strengths. I just think it will catch up to them when they play a team that can stop the run and I think Perry County is good enough to do so. I never said either that you could not win with just a running game. Jo Byrns has made it this far so read a litte into stuff before you jump the gun. But it can come back to haunt you when you play a good game if you just rely on one part of the game. I do not see how you think balance is overrated. Being balanced keeps the defense thinking and allows for more big plays. I was not putting down Jo Byrns. I was stating that the reason the Qb has a high percentage is b/c they run many screens and they are easy to complete. And for your last statement Wayne County did pretty much stop the run game. The first half Jo Byrns did nothing on the ground. THe 2nd half Waynce County did a good job of maintaining it as well. Turnovers and momentum is what won Jo Byrns the game. Not the running game.

If PC stops JB's running game PC wins; I just don't think they can and there's only one way to find out. I do think run/pass balance is very overrated but what isn't overrated is an offenses ability to keep the defense guessing which you eluded to. You can keep the defense guessing multiple ways; not just being balanced with run and pass plays.

As for Wayne Co. stopping JB's run game, I disagree. JB had 241 yards on 36 carries for a 6.7 yards per rush average. The turnovers were critical to JB's win but so was their run game. At the end of the game WC was gassed.

If PC stops JB's running game PC wins; I just don't think they can and there's only one way to find out. I do think run/pass balance is very overrated but what isn't overrated is an offenses ability to keep the defense guessing which you eluded to. You can keep the defense guessing multiple ways; not just being balanced with run and pass plays.

As for Wayne Co. stopping JB's run game, I disagree. JB had 241 yards on 36 carries for a 6.7 yards per rush average. The turnovers were critical to JB's win but so was their run game. At the end of the game WC was gassed.

[/quote

Well you can have them guessing but a run is a run. If you can pass the ball you can have the linebackers and secondary maybe thinking its a pass and thus will open up the run game even more. I do agree that Wayne County was gassed. They had nothing left in the tank.