Region 1

perfessor

Tomorrow begins the regular season and Region 1 has been uncharacteristically quiet this fall. I guess between the coaches not wanting to reveal their secrets and all the flamers out there causing trouble and drama, no one wants to post much anymore.

Well, for anyone wondering what's been going on, the BMI testing and takedown tournament at Science Hill last week went well, several local teams plus Kingston and Christ School (NC)competed and a good time was had by all. Many kids failed hydration, for some teams more than half, which is kind of unusual.

Round 2 BMI testing at Crockett was followed by a duals jamboree-type competition yesterday. Lots of kids showed up to test with I think something like 178 passing. Not sure what percentage passed hydration, but I believe it was much higher than last week. 28 duals matches followed with everyone done around 4:45 despite starting at 10, which was about 30 minutes later than scheduled. Most teams received at least three matches.

Judging from these two preseason events, it appears that numbers are looking good and there are many competitive wrestlers in Region 1. Coaches have done a great job training their kids despite only three weeks of practice. Good luck to everyone and I hope we can get some updates and POSITIVE comments on this forum as the season goes on!

Edited by perfessor

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No one has seen M.E. up in the upper half where the two preseason events were held.

There were a lot of very solid looking wrestlers at D.C. sat. D.B. looked good, H.V.

looked great for a second year team, they were very impressive. Host school looked

good. S.E. will have another solid team. W. G. and C.D. both had good numbers and

will be solid before the season is through.

Football players are back at Gville! Time to go get some more hardware for the trophy case. Two states championships in one year so far. Can the Devils challenge now they these 20 or so guys are back!

I hope so!

Football players will help for sure, especially in the upper weights. Greeneville will be strong in several weight classes for the region. Greeneville should be tough @ 140 and 160 with veterans there. the 103 kid is a freshman but solid. 215 and 285 may be better than expected. Not sure they are stacked enough from top to bottom to compete outside region 1. Their core is very young though and Greeneville should be more in the mix over the next few years.