Henry County Patriots in 2011

QBClubPrez

too your point on administrations. Look at what is happening at West Creek now with the dismissal of their coach after two season. He got them to the playoffs with a two year program. When administration makes public moves like this one can only imagine what goes on behind the scenes on a daily basis.

I don't want to be too "negative" about guys who are coaching in Clarksville, but let me say this (this will be one of those statements that will anger some, but I just believe to be true). For the most part, really good coaches will not go to Montgomery County because what I said in my prior post. The coaching there is average at best, with an occasional exception. The coaching does not match the talent...and the administrative committment to athletics is even more ridiculous.

I don't want to be too "negative" about guys who are coaching in Clarksville, but let me say this (this will be one of those statements that will anger some, but I just believe to be true). For the most part, really good coaches will not go to Montgomery County because what I said in my prior post. The coaching there is average at best, with an occasional exception. The coaching does not match the talent...and the administrative committment to athletics is even more ridiculous.

you could well very be right on your points. When I was younger, the Clarksville area had good coaching. We can all see that for some reason (and there will always be disagreement on the reason) it has faltered in recent years.

Edited by TheCommissioner

Being in politics, I hear it from the public about “why can’t we be like Henry County?†Henry County and Robertson County are basically the same size both roughly 60,000 people. You have one (1) county high school. We on the other hand have five (5) (White House Heritage, Jo Bryns, East Robertson, Greenbrier, and Springfield). This cuts our taxes dollar pie into too many pieces. With taxes split so many ways that affects/effects too many variables to mention here. This decision (for community schools) was made many, many years ago and we now must live with it. Although for all its downside there is also upsides to this plan as well. More students get to compete in ALL areas with more schools. Because of our diluting of resources, talent and coaching because of community schools, I feel that Springfield won’t be able to compete on the gridiron year-in-year-out with Henry County BUT we will have some years that we can (like this year for instance). Enough of that let’s have you talk Henry County football and I will read about it and the Warrior can call me a whiner again for stating facts as I see them

Commish

I think latest numbers have HenryLand with about 28,000 population. HenryLand given its location has a lot of retirees. The High School numbers have remained fairly consistant during last couple of decades. Not alot of change. I am not so sure that High School numbers are not smaller now than in 1970's. My class had 320 graduate not sure what last couple years were but can't be much more.

you could well very be right on your points. When I was younger, the Clarksville area had good coaching. We can all see that for some reason (and there will always be disagreement on the reason) it has faltered in recent years.

I have also heard what you say about the past to be true. Someone needs to head up that school system with the courage to do what's right. Academics is quite obviously the reason for school, but athletics doesn't need to suffer in a quest for improved test scores. Someone like myself could straighten out that system...it takes an SOB (most of those posters who hate me on on their feet applauding the SOB comment).

What REAL coach are you upset with on the HC staff? What staff member is in charge of the kicking game? What fool wouldn't understand the value of the kicking game, playoffs or not? You people are sick. What's the deal about all of you calling me a liar? There are some silly and strange people around here. You give some good advice though. Don't argue with me because I know a lot more football than most of you do...and most of you simply can't handle that.

Let's find out how much ball you know.

Say we play a 4-3 defense. What should the MLB do when an offense runs the midline? After you answer that one, tell us what coverage you would run vs. a 3 x 1 formation. You know, trips open formation. 3 WR to one side and one WR to the other side. Cover 3, man, tampa 2, Reading cover 2 with the BS safety covering #3 vertical. Please share your thoughts.

Say we play a 4-3 defense. What should the MLB do when an offense runs the midline? After you answer that one, tell us what coverage you would run vs. a 3 x 1 formation. You know, trips open formation. 3 WR to one side and one WR to the other side. Cover 3, man, tampa 2, Reading cover 2 with the BS safety covering #3 vertical. Please share your thoughts.

What's the matter RED WARRIOR, you having to Google Tampa 2 or do you not know what the midline is?

I am not sure that Retired Warrior is very good at running anymore!!! But we will wait and see what RW says about whether he can still run! :D

Commish

I think latest numbers have HenryLand with about 28,000 population. HenryLand given its location has a lot of retirees. The High School numbers have remained fairly consistant during last couple of decades. Not alot of change. I am not so sure that High School numbers are not smaller now than in 1970's. My class had 320 graduate not sure what last couple years were but can't be much more.

Please accept my Maxims mea culpa. I think I was trying to remember your population numbers from an earlier post. Roger Clemmons said, “I disremembered.†Your point is well taken on the numbers of retirees and how they really aren’t going to affect/effect the school population unless family moves there to be with them.

First of all, if I knew that we had to stop the midline, I would NEVER run a 4-3 against it, unless we ran a pair of 2 techniques to take away their read. When we ran the midline we preferred not to see an odd front, so that tells me something when I think about trying to stop it. Coverage in high school should ALWAYS be dictated by your athletes. The important thing is what they do best, what they are most comfortable doing, and then what makes the most sense. You know about the MLB and his responsibilty against the midline. That question is insulting. I never felt comfortable in a Cover 2 versus trips. We were usually a MTM team, but also played some Cover 3 against it. Cover 2 can be utilized, but it's not my preference.

Rolling Red. Doesn't the Tampa 2 actually trace it roots back to the Old Steel Curtain of the 1970's with Chuck Noll?? It requires a TREMENDOUS pass rush and super fast (not necessarily big) linebackers who can drop back very deep to cover receivers. It takes fast Linebackers like Jack Lambert and Andy Russell of the old Steelers and more recently Mike Singletary of the Bears. I always felt that Noll didn't get his just due on this defense and that Dungy/Kiffen, at Tampa Bay, took it and tweaked it some and everyone called it the Tampa 2.

I had better stop and wait for Red's answer. I have never coached (except for some in backyard football) and the only Gold Balls I have ever held my wife just handed me and told me to "put them on the tree."

I was just curious if you felt the same as I did that the Tampa 2 really had its start in Pittsburg?

• Upvote 1