6A State Championship: Maryville v. Smyrna

MHSRebels

Also, not sure why Maryville isn't respected more in the state. We were constantly ragged on for being 4A and not playing the "big boys." Then we move up to 6A and we immediately go to state and lose a close, hard fought game. How does that not earn respect? I don't think we have to win state to get respect, but just show that we belong and can compete and beat anyone in the state. We have done that, and did it again this year.

Well, I was trying to watch the game online tonight. About halftime or so the video started getting very chopping and having to buffer every 5 seconds so I changed to the radio. That was the WORST radio crew I have heard in my entire life. The main announcer (Jeff?) was a huge Smyrna fan. On top of that I had no idea what was going on half the time. I still don't actually know what happened when Smyrna missed the FG because all the announcer kept yelling was, "He rolled it in! He rolled it in!" I had no idea what that meant, but he finally at least said they missed it so that kind of helped.

Ohh yea, and they were criticizing the fact that Maryville ran the option with quarterbacks. Really silly.

You would think for the state title game they could get unbiased announcers who were actually talented, or sub par at least. Ridiculous.

However, glad Maryville got the win. Was very scary. I had a lot of confidence at halftime that MHS would win because we were up and it looked like our offense couldn't be stopped (we couldn't stop theirs either). Still, I figured we could get up by 2 scores and then cruise. That didn't happen when Robinette went out, but we fought and still got the W. Nicely done.

They were in a word "awful" <_<

Also, not sure why Maryville isn't respected more in the state. We were constantly ragged on for being 4A and not playing the "big boys." Then we move up to 6A and we immediately go to state and lose a close, hard fought game. How does that not earn respect? I don't think we have to win state to get respect, but just show that we belong and can compete and beat anyone in the state. We have done that, and did it again this year.

i think maryville has everybody's respect... your always gonna have dumb people in life who your always constantly having to prove something to.. just part of life, and life has a lot of idiots in it..

Well, I was trying to watch the game online tonight. About halftime or so the video started getting very chopping and having to buffer every 5 seconds so I changed to the radio. That was the WORST radio crew I have heard in my entire life. The main announcer (Jeff?) was a huge Smyrna fan. On top of that I had no idea what was going on half the time. I still don't actually know what happened when Smyrna missed the FG because all the announcer kept yelling was, "He rolled it in! He rolled it in!" I had no idea what that meant, but he finally at least said they missed it so that kind of helped.

Ohh yea, and they were criticizing the fact that Maryville ran the option with quarterbacks. Really silly.

You would think for the state title game they could get unbiased announcers who were actually talented, or sub par at least. Ridiculous.

However, glad Maryville got the win. Was very scary. I had a lot of confidence at halftime that MHS would win because we were up and it looked like our offense couldn't be stopped (we couldn't stop theirs either). Still, I figured we could get up by 2 scores and then cruise. That didn't happen when Robinette went out, but we fought and still got the W. Nicely done.

Was it followed by GOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAALLLLLLL?? If so you may have been listening to the wrong kinda football haha :mrgreen:

i think maryville has everybody's respect... your always gonna have dumb people in life who your always constantly having to prove something to.. just part of life, and life has a lot of idiots in it..

True enough. Just kind of strange when you come on here and you see so many people with excuses. Then you watch state title games and Maryville doesn't get talked up all that much despite being one of the most successful programs in the state in recent years. Smyrna got talked about a ton tonight, but Maryville didn't seem to get the same sort of praise.

Example: In the first half Maryville was down 14-7 after Smyrna just drove it the length of the field. Smyrna was doing great and Maryville's offense had stalled once, but came back and sliced through Smyrna. However, the announcers focused on the Smyrna stop and said, "If it weren't for that short field for Maryville this might be a different game." As though they were already writing off Maryville.