6A State Championship: Maryville v. Smyrna

MHSRebels

The Rebels are getting ready to win about 5 in a row but enjoy this one for now. :popcorneater:

Speaking of 'the future' can anyone tell me if they know anything about Hunter Longmire? I grew up with his older brother and he always tells me about Hunter and how well he is doing. I think Hunter is in 8th grade and is supposed to be a pretty good running back and quarterback. Anyone seen him play?

Just got back from the Championship Game. Congratulations to Maryville on your win. Hope your QB is ok. He is a special player. Bulldogs played to the end and didn t give up. I am proud of the boys from SHS, you gave us a GREAT season. And very proud of Jeremiah Bryson, he has played in 2 Championship games in his high school career and took the offensive MVP both times once a freshman and now as a Senior. Go on to Pitt and make us proud.

Just got back from the Championship Game. Congratulations to Maryville on your win. Hope your QB is ok. He is a special player. Bulldogs played to the end and didn t give up. I am proud of the boys from SHS, you gave us a GREAT season. And very proud of Jeremiah Bryson, he has played in 2 Championship games in his high school career and took the offensive MVP both times once a freshman and now as a Senior. Go on to Pitt and make us proud.

yes,your team should be proud...no shame in losing to maryville man...

Maryville will probably find someone pretty adequate to replace him. They always seem to. I can remember back in 2000 when we had Phillips penciled in as the QB and the money counterfeiting scandal broke and we had to have another QB step up. Our backup QB (can't remember his name, it was Nick something though) came out of nowhere and had a very solid season and we won state. Two years later we thought we were set with a junior QB named Alex Rouse. Rouse tore his ACL at the first of the year and a sophomore, Cade Thompson, stepped in and led us to a state championship. After that we had no idea where our QB would come from and another stepped up. Last year Juhlin left and QB was a tossup this year. Robinette had played it as a freshman (IIRC) on the freshman team, but hadn't gotten many snaps there as a starter. Still, seems like Quarles pulls them out of the woodwork. They all have different skill sets, but they seem to be pretty talented in one way or another.

I think you're thinking of Nick Giles. Im not sure but was it Phillips or a Maples kid that was suppose to be QB that year? I know he missed the game because of the money thing and Merritt took over for at least the Alcoa game

I think you're thinking of Nick Giles. Im not sure but was it Phillips or a Maples kid that was suppose to be QB that year? I know he missed the game because of the money thing and Merritt took over for at least the Alcoa game

Thank you. It was Nick Giles. It was eating at me that I couldn't remember his name. Grew up playing baseball with him and I just couldn't remember it for the life of me.

I think it was Phillips that was going to be QB that year. Maples, IIRC, was a WR (like his younger brother). We struggled to find a QB for a couple games and went with Merritt and finally settled on Giles and turned things around against William Blount.

Read a lot, but didn't want to say much because I've never seen Smyrna play. First, this is my opinion of the game. There has been a lot of "bashing" going on on both sides (many of who were neither Maryville nor Smyrna fans) and this is not intended to "bash" anyone.

Both teams played a really exciting game. I tried watching some of the other games and for the most part it was pretty one sided and boring. Big thanks to both sides for putting on a hard fought show. While not winning the big game seems like a big disappointment, MOST teams in TN would have taken 2nd place in a heart beat. No shame is getting close. Smyrna has a lot to be proud of.

As for the game. For Maryville, this was not a pretty win but we'll take it any time. We are usually a pretty balanced team but (to my surprise) Maryville was able to move the ball on the ground pretty good. This is not the best team we have played this year. I believe OR and Alcoa were a lot better. Smyrna has some BIG boys playing on the line and they did a very good job opening up holes for the RB who btw is a good athlete. Neither team could stop each other in the first half. Both ran the ball well and the passing attack was very limited due to such success running the ball. Towards halftime, with about 90sec left or so, I had a good feeling that Maryville was going to get a pick. Smyrna got too greedy (understandably so) and tried to get some points before the half and that was the best opportunity for Maryville to cause a turnover because Smyrnas passing game is not that good imo and it would have been very difficult to cause a turnover the way their RB was running the ball. Those 7 points before the half were extremely important to Maryville, I thought that once Maryville came out after the half that the game would be over very soon because they were just too much for Smyrna to handle due to the fact that they were running the QB option so well and our QB is one of the best in the state, not just running the ball but also passing. Stop his running game and he will beat you passing the ball, Simple! I figured Maryville would score on the opening drive, go up by 14 and knock the wind out of Smyrnas sail. Once I found out that he was out for the game I knew it would be a uphill battle. The Smyrna coach did a very good job pounding the ball and eating away the game clock. On the safety, if the RB goes to his right its a 1-3 yrd gain. He doesn't, Marvyille gets lucky and gets 2 points. The 2nd and 3rd string QB's for Maryville almost lost the game (Fumble and ALMOST an int inside the 10yrd line). Maryville gets lucky again towards the end by a bad snap and that's all she wrote. I really thought Smyrna was going to be a lot better and faster by reading all the posts but I was not very impressed. What did impress me was their size and they never quit. These are just some of my thoughts of the game. Again, congratulations to both teams on a great season.

Read a lot, but didn't want to say much because I've never seen Smyrna play. First, this is my opinion of the game. There has been a lot of "bashing" going on on both sides (many of who were neither Maryville nor Smyrna fans) and this is not intended to "bash" anyone.

Both teams played a really exciting game. I tried watching some of the other games and for the most part it was pretty one sided and boring. Big thanks to both sides for putting on a hard fought show. While not winning the big game seems like a big disappointment, MOST teams in TN would have taken 2nd place in a heart beat. No shame is getting close. Smyrna has a lot to be proud of.

As for the game. For Maryville, this was not a pretty win but we'll take it any time. We are usually a pretty balanced team but (to my surprise) Maryville was able to move the ball on the ground pretty good. This is not the best team we have played this year. I believe OR and Alcoa were a lot better. Smyrna has some BIG boys playing on the line and they did a very good job opening up holes for the RB who btw is a good athlete. Neither team could stop each other in the first half. Both ran the ball well and the passing attack was very limited due to such success running the ball. Towards halftime, with about 90sec left or so, I had a good feeling that Maryville was going to get a pick. Smyrna got too greedy (understandably so) and tried to get some points before the half and that was the best opportunity for Maryville to cause a turnover because Smyrnas passing game is not that good imo and it would have been very difficult to cause a turnover the way their RB was running the ball. Those 7 points before the half were extremely important to Maryville, I thought that once Maryville came out after the half that the game would be over very soon because they were just too much for Smyrna to handle due to the fact that they were running the QB option so well and our QB is one of the best in the state, not just running the ball but also passing. Stop his running game and he will beat you passing the ball, Simple! I figured Maryville would score on the opening drive, go up by 14 and knock the wind out of Smyrnas sail. Once I found out that he was out for the game I knew it would be a uphill battle. The Smyrna coach did a very good job pounding the ball and eating away the game clock. On the safety, if the RB goes to his right its a 1-3 yrd gain. He doesn't, Marvyille gets lucky and gets 2 points. The 2nd and 3rd string QB's for Maryville almost lost the game (Fumble and ALMOST an int inside the 10yrd line). Maryville gets lucky again towards the end by a bad snap and that's all she wrote. I really thought Smyrna was going to be a lot better and faster by reading all the posts but I was not very impressed. What did impress me was their size and they never quit. These are just some of my thoughts of the game. Again, congratulations to both teams on a great season.

good post... im glad you think my ridgers are better though, thats a huge compliment to oak ridge, thanks

Anyone want to bet that Tommy Wilkinson, in an effort to fire up the team, head-butted Robinette in the locker room at halftime and that is how he got his concussion?!

That's what I am laying my money on. Won't find anyone that plays with more heart and more fire than 54. :D

Dude-smyrna would beat OR. tackling their best rb 2 yards deep in the endzone ain't "lucky". it's called attacking the football. was it lucky for them that Patton got hurt. their coaches shoulda been giving it to 5 40 times and then "we'd" be crying on the bus ride home. i'm just glad that didn't happen-great win red rebels!! what about east tennessee being the King of Football in TN?

• Upvote 1

I told my broadcast partner, Scott Shasteen, that if I ever pick a team to beat Maryville again just slap me upside my head. That's the first time I've seen Maryville play in person and I was very impressed. For such a young team, those kids played like veterans. You Maryville fans are so fortunate to have such a great solid program and a great coaching staff, year after year after year. Our coach, John Olive, is a former Maryville player and represents us extremely well in Tullahoma. Congrats on another State title.

Dude-smyrna would beat OR. tackling their best rb 2 yards deep in the endzone ain't "lucky". it's called attacking the football. was it lucky for them that Patton got hurt. their coaches shoulda been giving it to 5 40 times and then "we'd" be crying on the bus ride home. i'm just glad that didn't happen-great win red rebels!! what about east tennessee being the King of Football in TN?

they may beat oak ridge, but there defense isnt any better than oak ridges...especially with all this talk about how great they were... maryville ran the ball up and down the field on smyrna, and it woulda been worse if patton hadnt of gotten hurt..for there d to be talked about how great it was it wasnt that impressive