6A State Championship: Maryville v. Smyrna

MHSRebels

Let me say I am very proud of the Rebels for being hardnosed, bendable but unbreakable, and being a tenacious defense. Marks of what you are, a real champion. Maryville has proven all the haters wrong, they can play with the big boys. In fact they are again on top with a young team.

Let me also say Smyrna is wounded we all know but you are a very good football team. It does happen when a great team makes a mistake or two at the wrong time vs. another great team it becomes costly.

One series and one badly called play cost Smyrna the game as things turned out in this one. Make no mistake overall the Rebels were the best team top to bottom on the field last night IMHO, but the game could have gone to Smyrna as they played championship football too.

First starting over 50 yards away from the end zone with around 1:22 left in the half, you should never, never throw to the flats! Period. With 1:22 with a tied ball game you go into the locker room satisfied. Smyrna should have used that great RB #5 and tried to get into field goal range or even broken another one for a score, but you don’t throw to the flats deep in your end. Smyrna threw right at one the best CB’s for MHS the past several years and bingo, Maryville ball. Bad play calling and poor execution cost Smyrna. Give GQ the short field and most of the time it will cost you points. 7 points, the lead and a shift in the momentum at halftime is what it cost.

Second, being on your one yard line your QB needs to sneak it or at least call a dive play. A one or two step drop to a hand off is not a play you call on your own one yard line. The mistake cost two points, ball possession and the momentum. Only a fumble buy a back up QB stopped Maryville from making it 9 points.

Had Robinett stayed in the game Maryville would have put up 14 to 21 more points as Smyrna had no answer to that kid’s tools and ability. Smyrna got some yards but very few of them came easy. Future star Freshman S. Prevo was nearly as good as #5 for Smyrna, jut give him another year under GQ. But he will get three more so look out.

I also think the MVP was the Maryville punter! Not taking anything away from any other player but keeping a great running team like Smyrna starting in their own end all night also helped Maryville win the game. Field position is huge in the big games vs. the better teams.

I am proud of my Maryville Rebels for many reasons not just because you are the 6A champions but because you are the standard by which all teams strive to become, achieve and accomplish.

Maryville, you are Champions and right back where you belong.

What a fitting ending for that "excellent" tv crew ... Dyson says, Smyrna is from the toughest district in the state in that" not sure if he is just muttering to himself or actually talking to the tv audience voice" and then the main announcer makes one final misidentification when he calls Maryville's qb Nick Myers, when it is actually Austin Canfield. Whoever is responsible for the tv crews must do a better job if these TSSAA broadcasts are going to have any credibility. I believe Lawrence Welk and the British Comedians could do a better job.

GovMan....If'un tha publick tv stashuns will pay good.....Me and Grayrider wood do tha gaims inn a vurry unbuyased way....Oh also we could git our buddy Caleb as tha sideline reporter..... :thumb:

Well fellers hit wuz a grait gaim......Tha Rebs jist GUTTED hit out like mommaSTARS gutted hit out at tha Old Charleys a few minuetts beefour tha gaim....

These kids refused to lose....To play without Patton in the second half....I could not be prouder!!!!!.....They are a TRUE team....Not the biggest, or the prettiest in the uniforms but a well coached, hustlin' bunch who are bringing the GOLD back home to the COUNTY OF CHAMPIONS!!!!

Prevo showed that he is real deal....After the blocked FG......He ran us off the goaline behind good blocking and fought for every yard.....And the play of Joseph Watson was huge the whole game.....

But the thing that I the most proud of is the fight of this small, but gutty senior class...They have come so far to win our first 6A GOLD ball.....

Congrats guys.....My hat is off....

The future is bright for Red Rebel Football!!!

OK guys church time....more later...

"It's GREAT TO BE A MARYVILLE REBEL"........ :thumb:

Thank you. It was Nick Giles. It was eating at me that I couldn't remember his name. Grew up playing baseball with him and I just couldn't remember it for the life of me.

I think it was Phillips that was going to be QB that year. Maples, IIRC, was a WR (like his younger brother). We struggled to find a QB for a couple games and went with Merritt and finally settled on Giles and turned things around against William Blount.

Scott Wilks started out at QB that year and started the first three games or so. He moved to receiver and Nick became the QB as and started the rest of 2000 and 2001.

they may beat oak ridge, but there defense isnt any better than oak ridges...especially with all this talk about how great they were... maryville ran the ball up and down the field on smyrna, and it woulda been worse if patton hadnt of gotten hurt..for there d to be talked about how great it was it wasnt that impressive

the d did what it had to do when it mattered. i think our D should be thankful that they didn't let 5 et 6 take over the game-our d was having trouble with both of those cats-Good luck at Pitt, 5. i was impressed with our punters ability to pin em deep in those crappy weather conditions. i do agree with you about it being worse if patton woulda been there-what's the word on him-i know it was his noggin-but is he doing ok?

they may beat oak ridge, but there defense isnt any better than oak ridges...especially with all this talk about how great they were... maryville ran the ball up and down the field on smyrna, and it woulda been worse if patton hadnt of gotten hurt..for there d to be talked about how great it was it wasnt that impressive

the d did what it had to do when it mattered. i think our D should be thankful that they didn't let 5 et 6 take over the game-our d was having trouble with both of those cats-Good luck at Pitt, 5. i was impressed with our punters ability to pin em deep in those crappy weather conditions. i do agree with you about it being worse if patton woulda been there-what's the word on him-i know it was his noggin-but is he doing ok?

Let me say I am very proud of the Rebels for being hardnosed, bendable but unbreakable, and being a tenacious defense. Marks of what you are, a real champion. Maryville has proven all the haters wrong, they can play with the big boys. In fact they are again on top with a young team.

Let me also say Smyrna is wounded we all know but you are a very good football team. It does happen when a great team makes a mistake or two at the wrong time vs. another great team it becomes costly.

One series and one badly called play cost Smyrna the game as things turned out in this one. Make no mistake overall the Rebels were the best team top to bottom on the field last night IMHO, but the game could have gone to Smyrna as they played championship football too.

First starting over 50 yards away from the end zone with around 1:22 left in the half, you should never, never throw to the flats! Period. With 1:22 with a tied ball game you go into the locker room satisfied. Smyrna should have used that great RB #5 and tried to get into field goal range or even broken another one for a score, but you don’t throw to the flats deep in your end. Smyrna threw right at one the best CB’s for MHS the past several years and bingo, Maryville ball. Bad play calling and poor execution cost Smyrna. Give GQ the short field and most of the time it will cost you points. 7 points, the lead and a shift in the momentum at halftime is what it cost.

Second, being on your one yard line your QB needs to sneak it or at least call a dive play. A one or two step drop to a hand off is not a play you call on your own one yard line. The mistake cost two points, ball possession and the momentum. Only a fumble buy a back up QB stopped Maryville from making it 9 points.

Had Robinett stayed in the game Maryville would have put up 14 to 21 more points as Smyrna had no answer to that kid’s tools and ability. Smyrna got some yards but very few of them came easy. Future star Freshman S. Prevo was nearly as good as #5 for Smyrna, jut give him another year under GQ. But he will get three more so look out.

I also think the MVP was the Maryville punter! Not taking anything away from any other player but keeping a great running team like Smyrna starting in their own end all night also helped Maryville win the game. Field position is huge in the big games vs. the better teams.

I am proud of my Maryville Rebels for many reasons not just because you are the 6A champions but because you are the standard by which all teams strive to become, achieve and accomplish.

Maryville, you are Champions and right back where you belong.

Great Post-you nailed it!!! Did you have Dr. Ferguson for English?

Well first and foremost congratulations to Maryville. This was the first time I've seen Maryville play and I was impressed. I truly believe Meadows was missed in this game. Robinette not playing for Maryville is the equal to meadows not playing for Smyrna. I hated that penalty being called on the 4th down. Momentum had changed hands and Smyrna was driving and that was a ridiculous call. It had no bearing on the play and the ref had already been too involved in the game up to that point. He was calling motion before the guys were even set. Just a shame he called it at that particular time. I know one bad call shouldn't cost you a game, but IMO it certainly changed the game. There were other factors on both sides that contributed to the game. Just didn't like the call and Smyrna seemed to be shell shocked when they came out for that field goal.

I'd also like to give a shout out to #45. He is a special RB.

Once again congratulations Maryville on a well deserved win.

So congratulations with an "asterik" huh? It all comes down to execution, and they did not execute the field goal. Whether the motion penalty was legit or not, (and I don't know that it wasn't). You cannot blame the penalty on the botched kick. The kick could have still won them the game. If they were "shell shocked" that is on the coaches not the refs. Sorry your team lost. Neutral as you are trying to sound it is obvious they did.