Congratulations Mr. Football 2010

naildriver247

I can understand your frustration in this matter. As a Bearden fan, and someone who has a long personal relationship with Devrin Young, I would be disappointed myself. But, as a football fan, I would not think it was a smack in the face to Devrin or a shame if he didn't win.

IMO..It really is a coinflip. I would say, grade/class, and Devrin's committment to UT played a factor. Of course we will never know. However, when all the personal feelings are gone and if you are a UT fan, most likely when you watch him on saturdays the next few years, you will see he was deserving.

I wish, Mr. Mathers, your son, you, and Blackman the best of luck next season. Like, I said Blackman's O-Line and fullback play their posistions very well. The highlight tape on youtube imo could and should also be a highlight reel of them also. I don't know what all goes into the voting for these awards, but as a ex-lineman myself the "line play" would be a factor in my vote, if I was one of the powers to be. If I had to vote on two outsatnding RB's one with a line that plays very well and another that doesn't and they both put up similar numbers, my vote would go to the one without the line. Another factor, that I would sway my vote would what type of offense each back play out of. Mr. Mathers ran out of a I-formatiom with a little pistol thrown in. Both of these offenses give the back the luxury of running down hill before they get the ball. Just more favorable for backs to rack up yardage. Where Devrin ran out of the spread. As you know, the back is standing still, then has to scan the line and make a decision on where to run.

Of course, you could ask 100 different people and get a 100 different answers. Not, trying to hate on Mr. Mathers or up hold Mr. Young. If, I had the chance to be at 5 or 6 Blackman games to see all they had to offer, my opinion would probally be different. Just being honest, not trying to insult or outrage.

I agree with you in that class and his commitment to UT played a factor, but my point is should it have? They are treated no different on the field why should they be treated different of the field. I'train did what he did a year younger and hasn't decided were to go to college, should he be punished for that? The o-line did a good job but they weren't the greatest he made them look better it didn't take much for him to see something and exploit it.

Edited by zainblaze

I agree with you in that class and his commitment to UT played a factor, but my point is should it have? They are treated no different on the field why should they be treated different of the field. I'train did what he did a year younger and hasn't decided were to go to college, should he be punished for that? The o-line did a good job but they weren't the greatest he made them look better it didn't take much for him to see something and exploit it.

I don't think any player is being punished for anything. Another factor the voters may have taken into consisderation also. In Devrin's first 5 games, he only play 9 quarters of football. If he had played a full 20 quarters, he would have had games with 500 maybe 600 yards of rushing and finished the year with well over 2000 yards rushing if not at the 3000 yard mark. Along with 60 touchdowns.

These post seasons awards (to me) are like a beauty contest. Every Miss America pagent the 2nd place winner could or should have won. But, she is still one HOT women.

I don't think any player is being punished for anything. Another factor the voters may have taken into consisderation also. In Devrin's first 5 games, he only play 9 quarters of football. If he had played a full 20 quarters, he would have had games with 500 maybe 600 yards of rushing and finished the year with well over 2000 yards rushing if not at the 3000 yard mark. Along with 60 touchdowns.

These post seasons awards (to me) are like a beauty contest. Every Miss America pagent the 2nd place winner could or should have won. But, she is still one HOT women.

Not denying he shouldn't have won but, there were games that Mathers probably could've played in and maybe not gotten tackled. So that goes both ways.

Not denying he shouldn't have won but, there were games that Mathers probably could've played in and maybe not gotten tackled. So that goes both ways.

I think folks are taking me the wrong way. I agree with you 100%. I feel like both are outsatnding RB's. They both bring great things to the game. I believe Devrin ran for Blackman and Mathers ran for Bearden their stats would still be very similar.

This was a hard vote and unfortunatly only one could win.

Edited by Kidstaxi

Let me say this, before I make anymore enemies than I already have.

As fans, we will probally never know what all goes into a voters mind with these awards. Just like why some people will ask "Why did you vote for George Bush" or "Why did you vote for Barrack Obama". Who knows what goes through a voters mind.

IMO. The Mr. Football award would have been represented to its highest if Mr. Young or Mr. Mathers won it.

I just think it is great for Tennessee high school football that we have the chance to debate this. It is about time this state has the tallent to argue about.

If Mr. Mathers has a 2011 season like he did this year and does not win it. I will strike the match to burn down what ever the Blackman faithful feels like needs to burn.

same with Mr. Mathers...he did not play in about 10 quarters...2 and a half games...

bottom line...there were 9 voters...3 from east...3 from middle...3 from west...

and they blew it! Mr. Mathers did not win...but he is the best back in the state!

Congratulations to Devrin. He had a season for the ages and will always have his spot in the history of TSSAA. His recognition is rightfully deserved. Not only is he an outstanding athlete on the field, but even a better young man off it. Here is to hoping that he will have continued success on the gridiron of Shield Watkins Field for the next four years. Congrats DY!!!

Congratulations to Devrin. He had a season for the ages and will always have his spot in the history of TSSAA. His recognition is rightfully deserved. Not only is he an outstanding athlete on the field, but even a better young man off it. Here is to hoping that he will have continued success on the gridiron of Shield Watkins Field for the next four years. Congrats DY!!!

Ok....everyone can look back at this post in a year or two..and you will see that I am right.

Young is WAY to small to be a SEC RB..he may be a returner..but highly unlikely...

If MR. Football winner Gaston Miller (Riverdale) could never get on the field at Vanderbilt....I promise you ..Young will never see the field..and will prolly transfer..

Just saying..but Id bet on it.

Ok....everyone can look back at this post in a year or two..and you will see that I am right.

Young is WAY to small to be a SEC RB..he may be a returner..but highly unlikely...

If MR. Football winner Gaston Miller (Riverdale) could never get on the field at Vanderbilt....I promise you ..Young will never see the field..and will prolly transfer..

Just saying..but Id bet on it.

I don't know about that....I think I could return punts for UT right now. I know Gaston was fast, but Mr. Young has some serious wheels and moves in the open field. I'm hoping he turns out more in the mold of a Brandon James at Florida rather than a Gaston Miller at Vandy.

To speak to the earlier point of playing behind a better line and playing time...In my opinion, the offensive line didn't really gel until close to mid-season. The first 3-4 games Mathers did it mostly on his own. The Oline really came together as the year went on and got better each game. I think they might have averaged 220lbs for the group. Maybe the Oline dad can speak to more specifics on that. As to the playing time goes, I know he didn't play (5 carries or less) in the 2nd half against Tullahoma, Smyrna (injured), maybe Lincoln Co, Station Camp he only had 4 carries for 160 yards and 3 touchdowns. Imagine if he had gotten the ball 10-12 times.

I know it's only opinion, but I don't think that grade or future plans should have any bearings on the voting. I do understand the voters are human and that does factor in. Maybe coaches should do the voting instead of journalists.

Again, congrats to D. Young, and good luck at UT...I'll be cheering for you. He appears to be a great young man as well as an outstanding athlete. I just think Mathers deserved this particular award this year.

Edited by blazeburnin

Gee A thread congratulating young kids is turned into a whine fest by the Blackman fans ... how surprising . You guys are something else .

we have opinion's...

we think mather's got robbed...

no one has been disrespectful to Mr. Young...who is a great back

no one has been disrespectful at all...

until YOU came on here with this stuff...

please crawl back under your east TN bridge...