Best High School Football Coaches in State History

Rainwater

With Ensworth associate head coach Paul Wade winning his 7th ring at his 4th different school.....is that more impressive than what Coach Flatt, Netherland or Coach Rankin have done? Not saying it is, but pretty impressive resume.

DCA - 1996 - 1st job - Wildcats had not won a state title since 1988.....as an assistant beats Trousdale County and South Pittsburg and then ROMPS St. Benedict 51-3 in the finals.

CPA - Lions had never gotten over the hump. Comes in and assists Coach Pack to win 2 state titles at CPA.

Davidson Academy - takes the HC job at a school that had never been a major player or won jack. 3 state titles

Ensworth - Bowers hires him, 1st year starts 0-2, loses starting RB, top lineman in the state, and rallies the Tigers to their 1st state title.

7 rings at 4 different schools......and as mentioned DA wasn't exactly a powerhouse when he got there.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tommy Owen, Howard Allen, Nick Coutras, Wes Elrod, Bob Cummings, Herschel Moore....All coached in the days of 3 classificationsand all but Elrod were winning games before there were play-offs. In the days of 3 classifications, there were some outstanding coaches who didn't win state championships. All but coutras and Allen coached in the public school system, and relished playing powerful private school football teams. That's another era, and another topic.

With Ensworth associate head coach Paul Wade winning his 7th ring at his 4th different school.....is that more impressive than what Coach Flatt, Netherland or Coach Rankin have done? Not saying it is, but pretty impressive resume.

DCA - 1996 - 1st job - Wildcats had not won a state title since 1988.....as an assistant beats Trousdale County and South Pittsburg and then ROMPS St. Benedict 51-3 in the finals.

CPA - Lions had never gotten over the hump. Comes in and assists Coach Pack to win 2 state titles at CPA.

Davidson Academy - takes the HC job at a school that had never been a major player or won jack. 3 state titles

Ensworth - Bowers hires him, 1st year starts 0-2, loses starting RB, top lineman in the state, and rallies the Tigers to their 1st state title.

7 rings at 4 different schools......and as mentioned DA wasn't exactly a powerhouse when he got there.

The most ridiculous post on the boards.

The guy Ensworth ran off was better anyway.

The most ridiculous post on the boards.

The guy Ensworth ran off was better anyway.

Sure....that's why they totally imploded in the playoffs until this year. I'm sorry your daddy couldn't handle the pressure.

How many rings did that guy win at Ensworth?

Edited by SmokeStackI

Tommy Owen, Howard Allen, Nick Coutras, Wes Elrod, Bob Cummings, Herschel Moore....All coached in the days of 3 classificationsand all but Elrod were winning games before there were play-offs. In the days of 3 classifications, there were some outstanding coaches who didn't win state championships. All but coutras and Allen coached in the public school system, and relished playing powerful private school football teams. That's another era, and another topic.

All are great coaches. It is another era.......I just selected 3-4 off the top of my head. The Satterfields, Coach Grider at South Pitt, and Coach Martin at Goodpasture should also be considered.

Coach Netherland coached his last game yesterday. It's been a pleasure watching him do his thing all these years. I was never a specific supporter of one of his schools but it was always easy to root for his squads when not playing the ones I was for. I don't think I'm alone in that and that says more about the man and the way he went about his business than anything I think.

I assume his last time coaching will be as an assistant next Saturday (Dec. 11th) at the Memphis area all-star game. Y'all come out.

Thanks for being a great leader to a lot of young men, coach. It appears to me that the Lord has used you in a great way. Enjoy.

I am sure the MHS bunch would have a name to add to the list (and rightfully so).

That stuff takes care of itself rollredroll. My guess is he has additional hardware to add to his list of accomplishments as a coach. Doubt there is are or have been much better in Tennessee though.

You need to post this on the 5-6 AAA site and see what responses you will get.Also I am not sure,but I do not think that Davidson Academy has ever been know as a powerhouse before,during ,or after Coach Wade.There are more teams in a Rec league than in the league that DA won their championships in.I am sure Coach Wade is a good coach but your opinion is a little overboard.

Edited by powercat

You need to post this on the 5-6 AAA site and see what responses you will get.Also I am not sure,but I do not think that Davidson Academy has ever been know as a powerhouse before,during ,or after Coach Wade.There are more teams in a Rec league than in the league that DA won their championships in.

I'm sure you could have done it.........If you can name me another coach that has accomplished this feat (7 golds at 4 schools) - I'd appreciate it........I'll hang up and listen.

Also don't give me the crap about "play the public schools" - They smashed Smyrna 30-14.

Edited by SmokeStackI

I'm sure you could have done it.........If you can name me another coach that has accomplished this feat (7 golds at 4 schools) - I'd appreciate it........I'll hang up and listen.

Also don't give me the crap about "play the public schools" - They smashed Smyrna 30-14.

I am not a coach, just a person who thinks your comment is a little overboard. So if I had been a passenger in Richard Petty's race car for 50 of his 200 wins, I can say I won 50 races.

Edited by powercat