Top 3 football teams in the state

countryREB

Jake, your the most honest guy on these threads. The only reason I didn't have Maryville in my top 3 was because I felt the difference in there game was Smyrna's inability to field a punt. Letting those 2 punts roll inside there own 5 yard line in my opinion cost them 9 points. What do you think?

Alcoanation, thanks for the compliment. Smyrna's punt returner definitely hurt them by not being able to field the punts, it looked to me as if he had probably been told before the game that with the inclement weather, if he was not 100% sure that he could field it, to just stay away from it to avoid a turnover. But you have to give credit to the Maryville punter, he did a great job of pinning them. At halftime, I really thought that Maryville would come out, get the ball and score to make it a two score game, but then the QB was hurt. I thought Smyrna had the better talent, but I thought the better overall team, including coaches, won the game on that particular night. With the athletes that they had I thought Smyrna could have done a lot more to expose Maryville than they did. I think that Webb, Maryville, and Greeneville, were all very close, I think those would be two good matchups to watch, Maryville vs. Webb and Maryville vs. Greeneville. With that being said, I don't think any of them could stay with Alcoa. Alcoa had a group this year that may come along every 20 to 25 years, the fact that GQ could keep his squad close in the Alcoa game early in the year just shows you how good he and his staff are because Alcoa had everyone in the state out talented this year. Not many years in high school football in this part of the country will you find a 240 lb. fullback leading a 225 lb. tailback, not with college type athleticism anyway. Add on to that the offensive line that was road grading the way and you have a machine that is hard to stop. Of course all of this is JMO.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alcoa beat Maryville by the skin of their teeth ... with Maryville's QB having his first start of his career ... so Alcoanation , if you have Webb and Greeneville ahead of Maryville then maybe your order should be

1-Webb

2-Greeneville

3-Alcoa

4-Maryville

I've been on CoachT a long time , it's funny how no matter how bad Maryville has beaten Alcoa in the past , there would always A few Alcoa fans wanting to say they would beat Maryville now .... yet Maryville gets beat by 4 points and as the season has went on to even mention that Maryville might win or play close in a rematch would bring all sorts of fire and brimstone to the boards . I would never say Maryville would win a rematch , because I hate losing all these imaginary games myself , but for some to think it wouldn't be a close game now is hilarious !

Since it is early season then --Mt. Juliet beat Columbia 42-14 in the spring. I guess that makes MJ that much better than them. I always thought playoffs (tournment) was a new season with winners in their respected classes! I'm glad we are adding preseason to this.

what im getting at is it doesn't take a whole lot to be great in 2a or 3a where it does once you get on up into 5 and 6a and i didn't know we were counting passing league games in this also? i mean honestly i went to them because i was center in high school and they are a waste of time they are basically practice away from practice

So I'm a hater because I said Alcoa was not challenged or faced adversity in the past few years?

OK Fact guy. I give. Alcoa playes the toughest and best in the country! Is that what you think? Then think it.

Good luck thinking Alcoa is the best in the state, who really cares. Most will not agree with you there Jack. By the way good luck getting GQ to agree with you.

I'm bored so, here it is, Alcoa's opponents combined record for the regular season were 60-40, Maryville's oppenents were 55-45.

Out of the the regular season teams that each team faced here is a break down of how they faired during the playoffs:

Alcoa : 2 made it to the first round, 3 to the second, 1 3rd and 1 state champ for a total of 7 opponents.

Maryville opponents: 1 2nd round, 1 3rd round, 2 4th round, and 1 state champ for a total of 5.

Then lets factor in the difference between 6A and 3A.

The way I see it, who cares. :mrgreen: You both won a state championship. Enjoy it. I for one would love to see some type of games between all the state champions to determine true state champion. Since my Ridgers got put out the only solace that I can get is that so many East Tennessee teams brought back the gold.

Until next year, lets go watch some basketball

Any Alcoa fan should know that when playing Maryville a victory is never certain and must be earned. I like our victory earlier this year, and of course I think we could replicate it (maroon goggles).

Each team gets one shot at bragging rights for a year, then we should cheer for the other to get another gold (good job Rebels!).

Maryville is, IMO better than Greenville and Webb.

Any Alcoa fan should know that when playing Maryville a victory is never certain and must be earned. I like our victory earlier this year, and of course I think we could replicate it (maroon goggles).

Each team gets one shot at bragging rights for a year, then we should cheer for the other to get another gold (good job Rebels!).

Maryville is, IMO better than Greenville and Webb.

I agree 100%