Obion Co. @ Gibson Co.

GCPioneer

Obion Co. travels to Gibson Co. Friday night for a big 13AA matchup. Gibson Co. will be coming into this game with a 6-2 record and Obion Co. with a 8-1 record. As Obion was my preseason pick to win 13AA this year, Gibson Co. will have to play a very good game to come away with the W. They will be outsized at most spots on the floor and predominately down in the post. The matchup to watch will be Courtney Haynes v. Macy Wright whom are both very good guards. This should be a very good game to watch Friday night.

Thoughts, comments, predictions...

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These are 2 totally different teams from a season ago. GC is coming off back to back state titles and graduated some very talented players. :thumb: OC is coming off another great season with 27 wins but fell short of the state tournament as they lost to a good Westview team :mellow: The Lady Rebs also graduated 4 players - one of which was the 2A Miss Basketball.

I saw GC play over in the Westview Thanksgiving classic- and they return some experienced players in Haynes and Alexander along with the youngest Reedy girl and a new head coach. The Lady Pioneers will be competitive as always.

The Lady Rebels have three players that are currently avg. double digits in points- Sophomore Post Brandi Goodman is the real deal inside as she came off a 20 point, 18 rebound performance vs. Covington last week and is avg. around 15 points per game.

Macy Wright is also in Double Digits with 13 ppg and Senior Mackenzie Tucker is also avg.a little over 12 ppg. :ugeek:

It's a much different defensive philosophy with OC this year as they are putting more full court pressure on the ball and also stepping it up in the half court Defense as 2nd year Coach LaRue is starting to put his coaching stamp on this team.

They have a rotation of 9 to 10 players and want to speed up the pace of the game and will try to feed off of their defense. A young mix of Sophomores have pumped some life into this team to go along with some talented veterans and it's not the usual walk it up OCCHS girls basketball that was seen the past few years. It'll be interesting how this realatively young squad will handle the 2-time defending state champs on their home floor.. Looking forward to it. :thumb:

These are 2 totally different teams from a season ago. GC is coming off back to back state titles and graduated some very talented players. :thumb: OC is coming off another great season with 27 wins but fell short of the state tournament as they lost to a good Westview team :mellow: The Lady Rebs also graduated 4 players - one of which was the 2A Miss Basketball.

I saw GC play over in the Westview Thanksgiving classic- and they return some experienced players in Haynes and Alexander along with the youngest Reedy girl and a new head coach. The Lady Pioneers will be competitive as always.

The Lady Rebels have three players that are currently avg. double digits in points- Sophomore Post Brandi Goodman is the real deal inside as she came off a 20 point, 18 rebound performance vs. Covington last week and is avg. around 15 points per game.

Macy Wright is also in Double Digits with 13 ppg and Senior Mackenzie Tucker is also avg.a little over 12 ppg. :ugeek:

It's a much different defensive philosophy with OC this year as they are putting more full court pressure on the ball and also stepping it up in the half court Defense as 2nd year Coach LaRue is starting to put his coaching stamp on this team.

They have a rotation of 9 to 10 players and want to speed up the pace of the game and will try to feed off of their defense. A young mix of Sophomores have pumped some life into this team to go along with some talented veterans and it's not the usual walk it up OCCHS girls basketball that was seen the past few years. It'll be interesting how this realatively young squad will handle the 2-time defending state champs on their home floor.. Looking forward to it. :thumb:

Redbird, you guys do have some good young talent. I think mackenzie is one of the more under rated players in the district. Macy wright is extremely talented. I'm just waiting for her to take over a game and completely dominate. Hopefully it won't be this game. Also, goodmans size is something that oc and this district has not seen in a long time. A 6'2 post that can play. Like I said, gibson will have to play a very good game and use home court to our advantage. We may be the two time defending champs, but gc is extremely young as well. I feel we might be a year or two away from making another strong run towards murfreesboro.

Whsfan, keep in mind that khadijah did not play when you see them. Not saying your post is inaccurate, but just a reminder.

This is true, and Khadijah will make a difference. I believe it will be a close game as long as GC has a good shooting night. Since rebounding seemed to be a big part of Westview's win over GC, I'm afraid in the end, OC's size will be too much for GC. Hopefully not, as I'm pulling for GC to give OC it's first district loss. Good luck!

Here's a fun fact for everyone from gc and oc as well as people who watched butler and fussell play in high school. Butler is the top scoring freshman in the nation averaging about twenty a game. Well, guess who is second? Fussell from obion co. Pretty awesome stuff huh? Says a lot for the talent we had go through this district over the past four years.

Here's a fun fact for everyone from gc and oc as well as people who watched butler and fussell play in high school. Butler is the top scoring freshman in the nation averaging about twenty a game. Well, guess who is second? Fussell from obion co. Pretty awesome stuff huh? Says a lot for the talent we had go through this district over the past four years.

:thumb:

Yes...Congratulations to OC. You guys seem to be in the front running to win the district as you guys are 3-0 in the district and 9-1 overall. If you guys stay healthy, I seriously think you guys could make a deep run into the state tournaments. Let me ask you OC people this.... Do you think you guys were better last year with Fussell or this year?

Yes...Congratulations to OC. You guys seem to be in the front running to win the district as you guys are 3-0 in the district and 9-1 overall. If you guys stay healthy, I seriously think you guys could make a deep run into the state tournaments. Let me ask you OC people this.... Do you think you guys were better last year with Fussell or this year?

They lost a Miss Basketball who is playing at the University of Texas...

No...They are not better...This district is way down from last year and if she was still on this team against the teams they are playing against now they would be 10-0 and not even remotely challenged yet...

Now, the kids that are playing right now are probably better than last season for a couple of reasons...1. They are older and more experienced and 2. They don't have Chassidy there to lean on when things aren't going good...They have all had to step up their games...

They may have a better record this year than last and they may even go to the State tournament but that doesn't mean they are a better team than they were last year...They were very good last season...Problem was there was two other VERY good teams they had to compete against....

Team Chemistry and overall attitudes are better this year than last. Again- you can read my previous post about the new adjustments that are implemented this year on defense and the players are starting to buy into that. Again- all the good teams you see in the BORO in March(and GC was a classic example of this the past 2 years) are good defensive teams. The Lady Rebs know if they want to take that next step, they have to put in the effort on BOTH ends of the floor. That part is starting to change from last season :thumb:

But again, still a young team that's gotten off to a nice start to the 2010-2011 season.. They'll definately be tested this tuesday night with a trip to Westview.

Should be an interesting matchup. :rolleyes: