West vs. East All Star Game Criticism

Gerry Bertier

First let me say what Toyota and Carson Newman does for this event should be commended. I think it is a great experience for all the players, however watching this game I am upset about two things.

First, the announcers need to be from around the state. All they have really dicuss is the East Tennessee players. They have not done their homework nor do they give as much credit to players on the West Squad. I do not blame them because they are more familiar with those players but it is not fair to the West players. I understand this so I am not that upset.

2nd, the West coaches are awful. The Arlington coach is more worried with arguing with the officials than coaching the team. He has not played all his players. He seems to be playing favorites in that more West Tennessee players are playing than the Middle Tennessee players on the West squad. He has a Mr. Football winner in Tyler Rice who he has barely played. He has a WR in Hunter Branch who had over 900 yards recieving and 16 TDs who has not stepped foot on the field.

Do these coaches not realize some lineman can not become spread lineman in 3 days. Most of the these lineman do not play in the spread blocking schemes and that is the reason you have seen bad O-Line play on both sides of the ball. What happened to the traditional I formation and throw out of that. Sorry to be negative but I had to let out my frustration on this issue.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First let me say what Toyota and Carson Newman does for this event should be commended. I think it is a great experience for all the players, however watching this game I am upset about two things.

First, the announcers need to be from around the state. All they have really dicuss is the East Tennessee players. They have not done their homework nor do they give as much credit to players on the West Squad. I do not blame them because they are more familiar with those players but it is not fair to the West players. I understand this so I am not that upset.

2nd, the West coaches are awful. The Arlington coach is more worried with arguing with the officials than coaching the team. He has not played all his players. He seems to be playing favorites in that more West Tennessee players are playing than the Middle Tennessee players on the West squad. He has a Mr. Football winner in Tyler Rice who he has barely played. He has a WR in Hunter Branch who had over 900 yards recieving and 16 TDs who has not stepped foot on the field.

Do these coaches not realize some lineman can not become spread lineman in 3 days. Most of the these lineman do not play in the spread blocking schemes and that is the reason you have seen bad O-Line play on both sides of the ball. What happened to the traditional I formation and throw out of that. Sorry to be negative but I had to let out my frustration on this issue.

Don't the announcers have to be from somewhere? How can they be from East, Middle, and West Tennessee all at once? You can only have one play by play guy, and one color guy. Packer and Fair work together all year long. It makes sense to have a broadcast team that is familiar with one another. As somebody involved in high school football broadcasting, getting information from some coaches is easier said than done. I know Packer and Fair both. They are professionals and do a darned good job with their work.

You can't make some linemen spread offense linemen in a few days? That goes both ways. You can't take guys who have played in the spread their entire careers and ask them to do something totally different, either. That is a catch 22 for the coaches.

Like the old saying goes, you can't please all of the people all of the time. Somebody is going to find something to whine about no matter what one does.

Don't the announcers have to be from somewhere? How can they be from East, Middle, and West Tennessee all at once? You can only have one play by play guy, and one color guy. Packer and Fair work together all year long. It makes sense to have a broadcast team that is familiar with one another. As somebody involved in high school football broadcasting, getting information from some coaches is easier said than done. I know Packer and Fair both. They are professionals and do a darned good job with their work.

You can't make some linemen spread offense linemen in a few days? That goes both ways. You can't take guys who have played in the spread their entire careers and ask them to do something totally different, either. That is a catch 22 for the coaches.

Like the old saying goes, you can't please all of the people all of the time. Somebody is going to find something to whine about no matter what one does.

GO NAVY BEAT ARMY!!!!! :)

If you think those announcers are good, then East Tennessee is missing out. My wife watched the game with me and became frustrated with the lack of quality presentation they provided. Only one play by play and one color guy? Somebody stop the presses call ESPN and MNF and tell them they have it wrong. They have 3 guys in the booth every week. How about an announcer from East, Middle, and West Tennessee? That way all the state is covered and some great stories can be shared. All I am saying there is room for improvement if they want this event to carry on.

To the lineman, if they want this game to have a lot of offensive scoring then get away from the spread. I love the spread, the team I coach runs it, however in a 3 day period the timing of it is more difficult. If you have played football, you have been part of a I team sometime.

You can say I am whining, but I say it is constructive criticism. Back during the East vs. West Shrine game these same problems occurred and they never addressed them. This event is great for the players and I want it to continue on. But if you want it to continue on, you have to continue to make it better.

Also, a coach on both teams should be assigned to make sure each player gets a certain number of snaps. The players were chosen to play in the game, make sure they all play. You can't tell the players to just rotate themselves in. Why are the coaches there then? Why not just let the players run the team if that is the way it is going to be ran.

If you think those announcers are good, then East Tennessee is missing out. My wife watched the game with me and became frustrated with the lack of quality presentation they provided. Only one play by play and one color guy? Somebody stop the presses call ESPN and MNF and tell them they have it wrong. They have 3 guys in the booth every week. How about an announcer from East, Middle, and West Tennessee? That way all the state is covered and some great stories can be shared. All I am saying there is room for improvement if they want this event to carry on.

To the lineman, if they want this game to have a lot of offensive scoring then get away from the spread. I love the spread, the team I coach runs it, however in a 3 day period the timing of it is more difficult. If you have played football, you have been part of a I team sometime.

You can say I am whining, but I say it is constructive criticism. Back during the East vs. West Shrine game these same problems occurred and they never addressed them. This event is great for the players and I want it to continue on. But if you want it to continue on, you have to continue to make it better.

Also, a coach on both teams should be assigned to make sure each player gets a certain number of snaps. The players were chosen to play in the game, make sure they all play. You can't tell the players to just rotate themselves in. Why are the coaches there then? Why not just let the players run the team if that is the way it is going to be ran.

Funny, I don't remember any of the state championship game announcers being from East Tennessee? :popcorneater:

I'm sure if ESPN wants to produce and televise the game the organizers will be all for it. Since they weren't, however, Mark Packer's production company is the one that stepped up and did the production.

It takes sponsors and money to put together a broadcast. They were willing to do that, and I have been told that they were the only ones willng to do it.

Yep, it's whining. You don't have a clue how it works.

At least most state championship announcers were prepped for the games for both sides

Do what? Did you watch the Blue Cross Bowl broadcasts? Yes, those were "name" guys, but to say they were prepared for both sides is just not accurate, either. It didn't sound like there was much prep work done for those games, either.