Coffee County football coach resigns

pedo_29

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He wins games and turns programs around which is what we need.

It's high school athletics. Winning is important. And even with a lot of the other intangibles that are sought after, sure, winning and losing is the bottom line because that is the most visible to the blinders we wear in Manchester so often.

But there are so many other factors that are involved and I'm sure you can realize that. Mac McCurry is not a good fit for the CC program.

It's high school athletics. Winning is important. And even with a lot of the other intangibles that are sought after, sure, winning and losing is the bottom line because that is the most visible to the blinders we wear in Manchester so often.

But there are so many other factors that are involved and I'm sure you can realize that. Mac McCurry is not a good fit for the CC program.

What is a good fit for Coffee County if it isn't a winning program that kids can be proud of and get involved in?

I don't know about his "baggage" but I know many of Coach McCurry's former players that think very highly of him.

Having watched Coffee County football for about 40 years, I think Mac might just be the perfect fit in Manchester. We all have baggage and we all deserve a second chance.

Mac would insist on doing it his way and his teams flat out win. If the powers that be didn't want to do it his way they would run him off. CC had a coach a few years ago who insisted on doing it his way and was sometimes a little rough around the edges and he had success. He is still having success.

I truly hope whoever CC hires has success because it makes football in general a lot more fun for everybody in this area. It hasn't happened very consistently lately. Good luck to the Red Raiders in their hire.

What is a good fit for Coffee County if it isn't a winning program that kids can be proud of and get involved in?

I don't know about his "baggage" but I know many of Coach McCurry's former players that think very highly of him.

You are putting words in my mouth. I did not say that Coffee County did not want a winning program that kids can be proud of and get involved in.

Maybe he would do a good job. But as I said before, it is hard for ANY coach to have success at Coffee County. It's been that way for the program as a whole since its beginning. Very few have had success, besides L.D. Carden and the late Red Jarrell when they were there in the 50s and early 60s.

But the conversation doesn't matter. Becuase whether he would do good or not, he isn't coming here. We have three candidates. Getting behind whoever is chosen from the get-go would get things at least started on the right foot.

Edited by pedo_29

Head Coaching records can be misleading. Tim Taylor did well as head coach at Marion County. He led them to 3 playoff appearances in 4 years and a runner-up finish in the region in 2003. This led to the Warriors hosting their 1st playoff game since 1995. Afterward he spent time at Sequatchie Co. and Grundy Co. as an assistant coach then was head coach at Whitwell(nobody has won much there). He is a hard worker, with a good football mind who will bring stability to the program.

Head Coaching records can be misleading. Tim Taylor did well as head coach at Marion County. He led them to 3 playoff appearances in 4 years and a runner-up finish in the region in 2003. This led to the Warriors hosting their 1st playoff game since 1995. Afterward he spent time at Sequatchie Co. and Grundy Co. as an assistant coach then was head coach at Whitwell(nobody has won much there). He is a hard worker, with a good football mind who will bring stability to the program.

Wow! Just heard the news. What was the administration thinking? Something doesn't seem to add up. Of the three candidates listed in the paper's article you had two well qualified men in Tim Taylor and Steve Williams and both get passed over for a guy who's best work has been as a JV coach? Apparently the leak to the paper cost Coffee County a chance at a quality coach with quality experience. Taylor has found a way to be successful in both of his last stops as a head coach. To take Whitwell to the playoffs and take Marion County to the district runner-up would put him on par to do more in Coffee County than they've seen in a long time. Williams has quality head coaching experience (in baseball) and has been a coordinator in Rutherford County, in hands down the toughest region in 6A (ranked as one of the toughest regions in the nation) as well as his most recent stop in building a playoff program from the ground up. It would be one thing if Shelbyville has become a dominant program, but all they did with Davis was finish second to last in their district and get shut-out in their first round playoff game. I thought this would be a move that would turn the program around, but I guess they don't want to win. This may be a short-lived honeymoon.

Wow! Just heard the news. What was the administration thinking? Something doesn't seem to add up. Of the three candidates listed in the paper's article you had two well qualified men in Tim Taylor and Steve Williams and both get passed over for a guy who's best work has been as a JV coach? Apparently the leak to the paper cost Coffee County a chance at a quality coach with quality experience. Taylor has found a way to be successful in both of his last stops as a head coach. To take Whitwell to the playoffs and take Marion County to the district runner-up would put him on par to do more in Coffee County than they've seen in a long time. Williams has quality head coaching experience (in baseball) and has been a coordinator in Rutherford County, in hands down the toughest region in 6A (ranked as one of the toughest regions in the nation) as well as his most recent stop in building a playoff program from the ground up. It would be one thing if Shelbyville has become a dominant program, but all they did with Davis was finish second to last in their district and get shut-out in their first round playoff game. I thought this would be a move that would turn the program around, but I guess they don't want to win. This may be a short-lived honeymoon.

Thank you, Coach Williams! <_<

If it is true then Congratulations Coach Davis. :thumb:

You have worked hard for your shot.