Maryville Holiday Tournament

chill

looks like aaron green has a darn good team there going in the ridge....

I give the kids a lot of credit this year but after last year's debacle (prior coach) I have to believe Aaron Green is 90% of the difference. Can someone tell me the story of OR's 2009-2010 head coach? Where did he come from? Surely his resume did not justify the position? I really do not say this to be mean, but I follow Tennessee HS sports and live in another state so I rarely get to see a game in Tennessee. I reached a point where I turned on the girls games and some other area teams when I could pick them up but pretty much stopped listening to the boys. (First time in 40 years and I'm ashamed to admit that.)

It's always a pleasure to watch/listen to games like OR vs Maryville. Both are class acts, win or lose.

Thanks

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is an excerpt from the Oak Ridger article when he was hired:

After what has been called an extremely competitive selection process with over 33 applicants, Oak Ridge High School has named Barry Wortman as the Head Coach of the Wildcats' Boys Basketball program.

Wortman comes to Oak Ridge from his role as Associate Head Coach of Basketball at Morehead State University where he has served since 2006.Wortman brings a wealth of experience to the job, having been a head coach at the high school level at La Vergne High School ('98-'06), Lincoln County High School ('97-'98), Hickman County High School ('93-'97), and Shelbyville High School ('91-'93). While at Shelbyville, Wortman won a region championship and District Tournament Championship twice, and advanced to the Regional Semi-finals twice.

Over the span of Wortman's career, his other accomplishments include: AA State championship with a #9 national ranking ('97); OVC championship and opening round victory in NCAA ('09); District 9 Coach of the Year ('95, '96, '97, '04); Daily News Journal Coach of the Year ('04); Nashville Banner Coach of the Year ('97); Nashville Tennessean Coach of the Year ('97); AP Writers Coach of the Year ('97); TACA Coach of the Year ( '95, '97).

I think it was actually # 2 of OR and # 33 of Maryville that had to be separated. They were hit with offsetting technical fouls after a very hard deliberate foul by # 2. I didn't see # 4 of Oak Ridge involved in anything like that.

You are correct. I apologize for having the number wrong. #2 kneed #33 in the face as he was getting up off the floor.

By the way, they do a far better job usually than the Prep Extra, News Sentinel site which has run the headline "West shocks Bearden 67-66" since December 18th as their main headline.

Just checked again for grins and giggles. Still their top story, 16 days and counting. LOL

I guess Maryville is still in a fog over the football championship cause nobody is talking about this tournament. Of course the KNS doesn't have anything but they are that way if a Knoxville team isn't in. But I guess Fulton doesn't count. They are still in Knoxville aren't they?

If you can't tell my wildcats are playing well. Still like to see some press on the whole thing. All these teams deserve some air time if you know what I mean.

Oh Well

I must admit that I am very guilty of not following the team closely. I have not been to a bball game since I have lived in Maryville and I've followed them less and less on here the past year or two.

• 1 month later...

This is an excerpt from the Oak Ridger article when he was hired:

After what has been called an extremely competitive selection process with over 33 applicants, Oak Ridge High School has named Barry Wortman as the Head Coach of the Wildcats' Boys Basketball program.

Wortman comes to Oak Ridge from his role as Associate Head Coach of Basketball at Morehead State University where he has served since 2006.Wortman brings a wealth of experience to the job, having been a head coach at the high school level at La Vergne High School ('98-'06), Lincoln County High School ('97-'98), Hickman County High School ('93-'97), and Shelbyville High School ('91-'93). While at Shelbyville, Wortman won a region championship and District Tournament Championship twice, and advanced to the Regional Semi-finals twice.

Over the span of Wortman's career, his other accomplishments include: AA State championship with a #9 national ranking ('97); OVC championship and opening round victory in NCAA ('09); District 9 Coach of the Year ('95, '96, '97, '04); Daily News Journal Coach of the Year ('04); Nashville Banner Coach of the Year ('97); Nashville Tennessean Coach of the Year ('97); AP Writers Coach of the Year ('97); TACA Coach of the Year ( '95, '97).

The only thing that you left out (and the most important) is that Wortman was/is good friends with the then girls coach Jill Prudden. She went to bat for Wortman during the interview process.