Tuck in that jersey

Indian

The point is not about players being disrespectful, the point is the officials gave an 8 point advantage to a team over an untucked jersey.(the kid made 8 out of 10). You can watch a game and watch kids say every word imaginable and very rarely are technical fouls called for foul language unless directed at the official. Officials do not like to be "shown up". Neither do coaches or players. Players and parents should respect officials because parents have the same opportunity to ref basketball if you so wish. If you think the officials are so bad then File the paperwork and get the 50 dollars a game to have everyone in the gym hate you. The officials are there to keep high school games from turning into a riot because half the people there would fist fight if there were no consequences. Should the kid have shot 10 free throws? No, I do not think so, but the officials did what they felt was right and the T$$AA will review the sequence of events I'm sure and if the referee's were out of line then correct actions will be made.

ok...well i think most of us were taught along time ago that respect is given not earned...just b/c you wear a stripe shirt doesnt mean you automatically worhty of such respect....like any other profession with a uniform or position of authority some respect is given but once you show you are not worhty of it you lose it...in most other situations a few bad apples can ruin a bunch,but with this case alot of the young ones are losing the respect a few of the older refs worked for years to get..

The point is not about players being disrespectful, the point is the officials gave an 8 point advantage to a team over an untucked jersey.(the kid made 8 out of 10). You can watch a game and watch kids say every word imaginable and very rarely are technical fouls called for foul language unless directed at the official. Officials do not like to be "shown up". Neither do coaches or players. Players and parents should respect officials because parents have the same opportunity to ref basketball if you so wish. If you think the officials are so bad then File the paperwork and get the 50 dollars a game to have everyone in the gym hate you. The officials are there to keep high school games from turning into a riot because half the people there would fist fight if there were no consequences. Should the kid have shot 10 free throws? No, I do not think so, but the officials did what they felt was right and the T$$AA will review the sequence of events I'm sure and if the referee's were out of line then correct actions will be made.

I understand the point of view in all of your post except the part about the TSSAA possibly taking "correct actions" regarding the officials. The TSSAA will not take any "corrective" actions regarding the officials. Not in this instance or any other instance. Again, I don't know if any action is warranted in this case, but none will be taken even if it is. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of officials that do a good job. Likewise, there are plenty of incompetent ones as well. There is little to no accountability for poor performance. It starts with the local supervisors. Often times the local supervisors are either incapable or unwilling to perform effective grading and provide constructive feedback to the officials. Rather, it's easier to pat their underlings on the back and tell them how great they are and how they never miss any calls than to hold them accountable. Furthermore, the supervisors and the TSSAA are much more interested in how professional the officials look and how technical they are with reporting violations, fouls, timeouts, etc. than the accuracy of call-making. Advancement appears to be based more on popularity and brown-nosing than performance on the court too. My two cents...

Note: In case you are wondering, I don't have an axe to grind here. I'm not an official or a wanna be - just a former player and fan of high school basketball that is mainly troubled by the lack of accountability of officials and supervisors.

ok...well i think most of us were taught along time ago that respect is given not earned...just b/c you wear a stripe shirt doesnt mean you automatically worhty of such respect....like any other profession with a uniform or position of authority some respect is given but once you show you are not worhty of it you lose it...in most other situations a few bad apples can ruin a bunch,but with this case alot of the young ones are losing the respect a few of the older refs worked for years to get..

I agree with you theoretically, but if you don't give respect to a bad official it will cost you. You have to be respectful of the position at times.

Actually, I think it is about disrespect. According to the article, the kid untucked his jersey. That was one technical foul. The coach got another one, and then some on the bench if I remember right. I can somewhat understand the coach, but the bench has to move on.

Referee's are horrible this year. maybe its due to a lack of quality people but they are downright dreadful! If a ref decides he doesn't like a player in the Upper Cumberland he will call fouls against him and try every way in the world to get the kid out of the game. Refs are suppose to be unbiased and let the play on the court decide the outcome but they don't. They all talk to eachother and they say this kid is bad or that kid has an attitude and every game they come out with an intent to call close fouls on a particular player that they won't call on others because they don't like him. No matter what any ref gets on here and says to dispute it its true. Now they won't call against the established coaches like Brown and Rogers. I have seen girls from both teams yell, talk back to the refs and scream out and there is never a call. You let one of the boys do that and its an immediate technical but they know better than to call against one of these coaches players, otherwise they won't be reffing around here long but if you're not one of their favorites then look out! The ref's as a whole are bad and they are getting worse not better.

Edited by midtensportsfan

Ever been stopped by a policeman or patrolman for a traffic violation? If you want any mercy from them, and want to cut your losses, you act humbly, ask for forgiveness, and say "yes, sir - no, sir" a lot. We can all agree that some refs are bad, and that a lot are on a macho, power trip; however, if you want to win in sports, you have to be smart, not just good.

If the kid had just walked off the floor, left his shirt in, and kept his mouth shut, there would have been 2 free throws instead of 10.

Coaches need to coach smarts and acting with class, not just skills.

• Upvote 1

The refs may be terrible but you should still respect them because they are the one making the calls. I've been assistant coach in baseball and one thing I could never stand is a player back talking whether it be to me, an umpire, or another player to the opposing team. I have always been a firm believer of keeping my mouth shut while playing and when I played I conducted myself with the same attitude no matter how bad the umpire was. If a ref chooses to pick on a player it's almost always the player's fault. If a player shows attitude in one game the ref will probably have his/her eye on that player for the rest of the game. Also refs talk to other refs and the next game that player will be watched as well. Also, a lot of refs around here also ref in football and umpire in baseball and will be watched all throughout every sport he/she plays. You may say it's a stretch but i've seen players in baseball not get calls just because of how he/she acted in basketball and other sports. Every game if you keep a good attitude and keep your frustrations in till during halftime or after the game in the locker room then things will be a lot smoother for everyone.

Any coach knows that refs are a part of the game you can't control. Nothing is really under your control except "you". The coaches must teach their players this.

You can steer, not control, an opposing team. Refs are part of the game always have been, always will be. Do you really want kids palying playground ball were they call their own fouls? Kids need to understand this fact and play the game. Are some refs bad? Yeap. Are some good? Yeap. It's not an easy job. Many of them choose to do it for different reasons. They aren't making a lot of money, they travel further than most think. Coaches teach your kids a life lesson about concentrating on things that you have control over, "YOU" and only "YOU"!

It's a lot easier to yell at someone from a seat than be the one getting yelled at while being exposed to the whole gym.

• Upvote 1

the officials are just part of the floor. over the past 20 years, every game we have played, the other team plays on the same floor and has the same officials we do. that seems fair enough to me.

were one of our players to yank out his shirt at the ref & get T'd, it wouldnt be the ref feeling my wrath.

we are supposed to be teaching our players how to act like men.

Ever been stopped by a policeman or patrolman for a traffic violation? If you want any mercy from them, and want to cut your losses, you act humbly, ask for forgiveness, and say "yes, sir - no, sir" a lot. We can all agree that some refs are bad, and that a lot are on a macho, power trip; however, if you want to win in sports, you have to be smart, not just good.

If the kid had just walked off the floor, left his shirt in, and kept his mouth shut, there would have been 2 free throws instead of 10.

Coaches need to coach smarts and acting with class, not just skills.

Your post is right on the money. If players are to learn from the sport this is one life lesson that goes far

into life. Disrespct your employer/supervisor and the consequences are worst than 8 techs.