Welcome New McCallie Head Coach

BLUEMOM

There are money considerations here for a school that is already scrambling to cut payroll. Many late career, 30+ year McCallie faculty have already been offered early retirement. While I'm guessing Bubba will get a decent little raise, they'll still be filling two spots with one pay check.

Call me crazy, but I find it hard to see how a school that charges $20k per year and has been around long enough to have LOTS of "old money" is "scrambling to cut payroll".

Say what you will, but this hire looks like McCallie isn't serious about football.

Edited by Titan86
  • Upvote 1

I find this hard to fathom considering that McCallie's endowment is well north of 60 million. But every little cent counts.

Call me crazy, but I find it hard to see how a school that charges $20k per year and has been around long enough to have LOTS of "old money" is "scrambling to cut payroll".

Say what you will, but this hire looks like McCallie isn't serious about football.

They are cutting payroll and they have always hired from within. I would have bet the house that they would have gone out and gotten a big name but apparently, like Titan said, they aren't too serious about getting the winning tradition started again. I don't know about this new coach but I couldn't imagine him being much different, coaching wise, from Whitt. But I guess it's kindof like the situation going on at Michigan. Mccallie wants Mccallie people there. They want coaches that know about the tradition and how things work there. But, as of late, that tradition hasn't been a winning one. Maybe Bubba Simmons will surprise everyone and be a great coach.

Coach Simmons was head at Lakeview-Fort Oglethorpe in early 80's, then 12 years as an assistant at McCallie, then onto East Ridge for a few years. He then moved to LaFayette High School in Georgia for a few years. After that he was a prinicipal in North Georgia before coming to McCallie as the AD.

While on initial contemplation of the hire, I might say hmmm..... As I think back over the past few years as I've worked with Bubba it begins to become somewhat more apparent. He loves football and coaching. He is really good with the kids and I don't think he missed many practices due to other duties needing his attention and as the head I guarantee he won't miss any! The staff is loaded with high quality individuals and he is another one.

I know the resumes that were received were given great thought and consideration. I am sure the school has selected who they feel to be a good fit for the program as well as for the overall school mission.

This post sounds like a play when the flag is thrown, then they huddle to talk about it, then come out and announce no flag on the play, and everyone looks at each other except the refs wife, who thinks good call.

This post sounds like a play when the flag is thrown, then they huddle to talk about it, then come out and announce no flag on the play, and everyone looks at each other except the refs wife, who thinks good call.

This refs wife doesn't always agree with every call an official makes and has been known on many occasions to quesion them. Have also been known to make my official hubby sit elsewhere in the stands when he really makes me mad.

All I can say about the hire is that it was not what I would have bet the house on, thought it over, and it made more sense. It sometimes takes a awhile to see all the pieces of the puzzle.

The Blue is looking very closely at payroll and possible reductions in it. They usually hire from within or one of their own. It would look pretty bad to spend large $ on a big name hire when others are possibly let go when you have capable staff already there who are willing to take on the extra responsibilities.

Also one must consider the recent comments of an administrator, the McCallie mission statement is not about winning football or any other athletic championship. It is about helping boys to become men and to build CEO's. They would and did consider the whole overall picture. That may not be MY mission, but I'm very respectful of theirs!

I'm sure that Coach Simmons wants to retain his whole staff. I believe in the tv interview he stated that he hoped they all would stay. It is a new season approaching, it will be interesting to see how they come together.

The Blue is looking very closely at payroll and possible reductions in it. They usually hire from within or one of their own. It would look pretty bad to spend large $ on a big name hire when others are possibly let go when you have capable staff already there who are willing to take on the extra responsibilities.

Also one must consider the recent comments of an administrator, the McCallie mission statement is not about winning football or any other athletic championship. It is about helping boys to become men and to build CEO's. They would and did consider the whole overall picture. That may not be MY mission, but I'm very respectful of theirs!

I'm sure that Coach Simmons wants to retain his whole staff. I believe in the tv interview he stated that he hoped they all would stay. It is a new season approaching, it will be interesting to see how they come together.

I can appreciate attempting to reduce payroll. However, I'm quite sure that there are MANY coaches around who are infinitely better than this hire and wouldn't have cost an arm and a leg. I think that McCallie could and should go after the very best there is, and they didn't. I can also appreciate McCallie's mission statement, but are you suggesting that any other coach couldn't help them attain their mission? All I'm saying is that this is a weak hire. I think the players, fans, and alumni of McCallie deserve the best they can get. This hire is not it. When your chief rival is playing for a state championship and beating you twice in a season in the process, it is time to change your way of thinking and do something. Hiring Coach Simmons because he's a great guy and because McCallie usually hires from within isn't going to help beat the Baylors of the world. I hope it works out for them, but I just think it was a very weak hire.

I am not saying that Coach Simmons is the only coach who can fit the McCallie mold, but he was the one that was given the duty. I also don't think I can classify him as less than one of the best. Is he the sexiest hire out there? That remains to be seen.

Was Chizik a sexy hire for Auburn? I think not, he was on the hot seat at the powerhouse Iowa State at the time. Was Rodriquez a sexy hire for Michigan? You bet... how is that working out?

I for one will give Bubba a chance before I throw him under the bus. He did manage to not only get East Ridge to the play-offs, they actually won a game there. Not a small feat for them.

As for that team across the river.... What goes around comes around. We had an awesome eleven year run. They've had a couple blips in the radar. Our time will come around again, and hopefully it will be under Bubba!

Edited by BLUEMOM

I agree....I will give the man a chance.

In his past, Bubba has coached and done well with teams in some strong football divisions.

The Big Blue is far from a weak team. It wasn't too far in the past the blue played for a state championship. Heck, McCallie won a state championship in the late 90's. The blue team beat its rival for 10+ years. Yes, I know... that is "history". But, it is a "winning" history.

For decades, McCallie has been able to successfully compete with teams that have greatly "out-sized" 'em. They found success by: being in shape, being very quick, avoiding penalties, playing football with good sportmanship, coaching great blocking techniques, running plays perfectly, using strong defenses, running flawless special teams plays, and playing good, hard-noosed football. Bubba knows that. Don't forget, he was there for alot of it.

Here's the challenge...the coaches must form a football team using some students that came to the school to obtain a perfect score on the ACT test. 100% of the football players are expected to not only graduate from high school - but also, properly prepare themselves to graduate from a university. "Simply passing" is not acceptable. Is winning at a school that demands academic adroitness from its students an impossible task? The "history" shows us it can be done.

The bottom line: I say, "let's support the new coach. He has earned our support".

For decades, McCallie has been able to successfully compete with teams that have greatly "out-sized" 'em. They found success by: being in shape, being very quick, avoiding penalties, playing football with good sportmanship, coaching great blocking techniques, running plays perfectly, using strong defenses, running flawless special teams plays, and playing good, hard-noosed football. Bubba knows that. Don't forget, he was there for alot of it.

Here's the challenge...the coaches must form a football team using some students that came to the school to obtain a perfect score on the ACT test. 100% of the football players are expected to not only graduate from high school - but also, properly prepare themselves to graduate from a university. "Simply passing" is not acceptable. Is winning at a school that demands academic adroitness from its students an impossible task? The "history" shows us it can be done.

The same can be said about all of the DII-AA schools. For the most part, the academic requirements are equally rigorous. This isn't quite the same as a Vanderbilt trying to win in the SEC.