Welcome New McCallie Head Coach

BLUEMOM

Welcome to the new Head Coach -- Coach Bubba Simmons. He will do a fine job!

www.mccallie.org

Not sure I understand this. Let me see....The head coach resigns, Mccallie opens a national search for a new head coach......, and they hire the AD? Can you spell...F-O-R-C-E-D resignation to hire yourself. WOW!!!!

Don't believe the resignation was "forced". Coach Whitt remains on staff. Coach Simmons, who hasn't head coached in a while, has been very hands on with the football team. Coaching is definitely in his blood. Don't think there was a major conspiracy there. As I stated in an earlier thread, the Blue tends to hire from within. They had several potential qualified head coaches on staff. They picked one!

Let's play ball!

Don't believe the resignation was "forced". Coach Whitt remains on staff. Coach Simmons, who hasn't head coached in a while, has been very hands on with the football team. Coaching is definitely in his blood. Don't think there was a major conspiracy there. As I stated in an earlier thread, the Blue tends to hire from within. They had several potential qualified head coaches on staff. They picked one!

Let's play ball!

I wish coach Simmon's the best. Coach Whitt will not stay on the football staff if he was forced out. Time will tell. Looks really fishy. Even your blue eyes ought to agree.

Where else has coach Simmon's been a HC other that East Ridge? That is the only school the article lists. What was his records at other places if any?

I wish coach Simmon's the best. Coach Whitt will not stay on the football staff if he was forced out. Time will tell. Looks really fishy. Even your blue eyes ought to agree.

Where else has coach Simmon's been a HC other that East Ridge? That is the only school the article lists. What was his records at other places if any?

McCallie has a storied history. However, seems to be an odd hire. Sounds like he hasn't been a head coach for at least 10 years. I would have thought a ton of current, talented coaches would have jumped at this opportunity. Maybe Coach Simmons is that good, but a bio that claims he set the East Ridge school record for the longest winning streak in school history as well as a " first playoff win" would not seem to excite the fan base who has suffered through some recent sub-par seasons.

Coach Simmons was head at Lakeview-Fort Oglethorpe in early 80's, then 12 years as an assistant at McCallie, then onto East Ridge for a few years. He then moved to LaFayette High School in Georgia for a few years. After that he was a prinicipal in North Georgia before coming to McCallie as the AD.

While on initial contemplation of the hire, I might say hmmm..... As I think back over the past few years as I've worked with Bubba it begins to become somewhat more apparent. He loves football and coaching. He is really good with the kids and I don't think he missed many practices due to other duties needing his attention and as the head I guarantee he won't miss any! The staff is loaded with high quality individuals and he is another one.

I know the resumes that were received were given great thought and consideration. I am sure the school has selected who they feel to be a good fit for the program as well as for the overall school mission.

I have no doubt that Coach Simmons is a good guy. He is obviously well thought of by the McCallie people as he is the current AD and had been there before this stint for 12 years. With that said though, this is a terrible hire. McCallie needed to make a splash and generate some excitement for their program. With this hire, all I hear is a thud. Forget that he's a "great guy" and look at it like this: What would you think of an elite school that has fallen on hard times with its football program recently going out and hiring a guy who hadn't been a head coach in a decade? I mean, if that guy was a proven winner or a builder of great programs, then maybe one could be excited. But, that is not the case here. Coach Simmons teams have lost 75% of their games at three different high schools. Is there going to be a worse active coaching record in the Chattanooga area next year when the Times Free Press publishes the career records of all coaches? The poster before who says "inside job" could have a point. To be honest, looking at it ANY OTHER WAY makes the move make even LESS sense. If I am a coach at Baylor today, I am very thankful for this hire. I can't imagine how it could have turned out any better for the Red Raiders. I don't know Coach Simmons and I wish him and the McCallie boys well, but this is an extremely suspect hire.

There are money considerations here for a school that is already scrambling to cut payroll. Many late career, 30+ year McCallie faculty have already been offered early retirement. While I'm guessing Bubba will get a decent little raise, they'll still be filling two spots with one pay check.

I find this hard to fathom considering that McCallie's endowment is well north of 60 million. But every little cent counts.