D1 Brackets on line

StarRaider

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would really like to know who at the TSSAA does this bracketing...because medalling at a weight class other than the one you are currently in should not be placed higher than a returning medalist at same weight class and when a person beats someone head to head, that should DEFINITELY be a factor.

Just a for instance....

Turbo Smith is listed in the #1 "seed" spot and Bradley Colbaugh is in the #2 "seed" spot. Colbaugh pinned Turbo earlier this season in 1:00.

Now as the bracket at 152 stands, Colbaugh will have to face arguably the #2 wrestler in Zac Bennett in the semis. A Colbaugh/Smith switch would rectify this. Colbaugh is the CLEAR #1 wrestler at 152. The clear #2 is hazier but with Bennett/Smith at either 2 or 3 wouldn't matter for this case.

I would really like to know who at the TSSAA does this bracketing...because medalling at a weight class other than the one you are currently in should not be placed higher than a returning medalist at same weight class and when a person beats someone head to head, that should DEFINITELY be a factor.

Just a for instance....

Turbo Smith is listed in the #1 "seed" spot and Bradley Colbaugh is in the #2 "seed" spot. Colbaugh pinned Turbo earlier this season in 1:00.

Now as the bracket at 152 stands, Colbaugh will have to face arguably the #2 wrestler in Zac Bennett in the semis. A Colbaugh/Smith switch would rectify this. Colbaugh is the CLEAR #1 wrestler at 152. The clear #2 is hazier but with Bennett/Smith at either 2 or 3 wouldn't matter for this case.

You have to remember that that DI does not take into account head-to-head competition at all. That is just how they have chosen to separate their bracket. And yes I choose the word separating carefully as opposed to seeding because I believe what they do to be a decent job of separating wrestlers but not good for seeding. This is just the way the TSSAA has chosen to do this. It is something that could be changed if the coaches wanted to push for it hard enough (that is my assumption based on past experience in DII).

Case in point #2

130 lb weight class.

Obvious #1: Campbell Lewis, Soddy Daisy

Obvious #2: Austin Woods, Franklin

Scott Seaman is a good wrestler and I know he finished 2nd last year...and love the kid to death...but it is pretty obvious to everyone in the wrestling community that Austin Woods and Campbell Lewis are the clear favorites at this weight class and now ONE of them will be stripped of the opportunity at a state title.

Placing 2nd at 112 the year before should not catapult you into the #3 "seed" at 130 lb weight class either as is the case with Jericho Crutcher, again a very good wrestler.

How should it be seeded, just looking at it?

#1 Lewis

#2 Woods

#3 Seaman

#4 Crutcher

#5 Maxwell

Edited by coachknepper

And TSSAA does use Head-to-Head when it's from Regionals.

Case in point #3.

#1 "seed" Josue Brown dec in OT 3-1 in Region 6 over defending 145 lb state champion Brennon Cox (who is now in the # "unseeded" position having to face the #6, #3, and #2 to reach the finals again). Two-time defending champion at the same weight class...would he not be considered at least a #3 "seed" having lost to Birdwell head-to-head earlier?

But no...Region Champion is considered for placement first and foremost.

I'm done ranting...just makes no sense in the state of TN to "seed" or "separate" like this whatsoever...it does NOTHING for the state in terms of building wrestling to the levels of "other" states.

Case in point #3.

#1 "seed" Josue Brown dec in OT 3-1 in Region 6 over defending 145 lb state champion Brennon Cox (who is now in the # "unseeded" position having to face the #6, #3, and #2 to reach the finals again). Two-time defending champion at the same weight class...would he not be considered at least a #3 "seed" having lost to Birdwell head-to-head earlier?

I'm done ranting...just makes no sense in the state of TN to "seed" or "separate" like this whatsoever...it does NOTHING for the state in terms of building wrestling to the levels of "other" states.

oh come on coach there are a few more weight classes that need some talking about... 171?? and a few more

oh come on coach there are a few more weight classes that need some talking about... 171?? and a few more

OK...I just didn't want to go there due to the fact that one of my recruits is involved.

But CLEARLY having 2 of the top 3 in the state this season at 171 in the SAME QUARTERS?????? This is beyond ridiculous, especially when one of those 2 has only lost by a DQ and one match at 189 this season.

And then to top it off, Manning gets rewarded for his Region Championship by being slotted into the #4 "seed" spot, just so that Henry and Schay can be "separated"?

My thoughts on where seeds should be at 171:

#1 Schay

#2/#3 Manning

#2/#3 Roberts

#4 Henry

#5 Carpenter

The way it is now...the TOP 3 guys (arguably...but not very argumentative) are all in the same half. 2 of the 3 will not make the finals for a state championship opportunity.

The breakdown for entries into Dl state:

Eight graders: 2

Fresh: 32

Soph: 90

Jr: 143

Sr: 172

The 135 weight class has 20 seniors, so it should open up alot nexy year except for move ups or down.

The 171 weigth class has 17 seniors.

The weight class that should be a barn burner is 130 it has 7 returning state medalist in that weight.

The tow lowest weight classes with returning medalists is 103 with one and 285 with one.

Case in point #3.

It is interesting to point that this could be considered head-to-head but it only has the potential to hurt a wrestler as opposed to help them. Given a situation where one of the two wrestlers in a region championship is a returning state medalist and the other is not... the non-state medalist has no opportunity to earn himself a seed due to winning the head-to-head battle because he is... take a guess... not a returning state medalist. Therefore, I wouldn't really consider this a true look at head-to-head. Not to mention is doesn't take into account the season record. If John Shrader were to have defeated McCoy Newberg in their region final then he would have received the seed and McCoy would have been unseeded. Given the criteria used in DII Newberg would still be seeded over Shrader in this case given his previous wins this season giving him the better season record against said opponent. Anyway, most of that is moot and I am just talking because me talking changes nothing... get the DI coaches talking and...

It shouldn't have to be the D-1 coaches that talk about it to bring about the change. This is a logical step to make the tournament more fair for the top guys at each weight class. I understand the winning the Region being a criteria, that is fine. But to suggest that head-to-head shouldn't count whatsoever and to say that if you finish #2 at 112 and another guy finished #3 at 145 and that 112 lber qualifies at state and wins a region at 145 the next year, he should be seeded higher is not only ridiculous, it is ludacris. But that is what the seeding criteria states.

The seeding criteria should follow what the D-2 criteria is, but with the Region Championship being considered.