Advancement pts

memphiswrestling171

I am pretty sure it is like any other tournament. Where 2 points for advancing in the championship rounds, 1 point for advancing in the conso. There is no bonus for minors, 1 bonus for major, 1.5 bonus for tech, 2 bonus for pins. Don't quote me, but I am pretty sure that is correct. If anyone else knows better. Comment and correct me.

SCstatechamp160 is pretty much right on with the advancement and bonus point scenarios. One thing to remember is that when a bye is received in the previous round, you will receive advancement points for that bye if you win your next round match.

Also, the placement points for a tournament placing to 6 places are as follows:

1st - 16

2nd - 12

3rd - 9

4th - 7

5th - 5

6th - 3

You can get an interesting estimate of team scores based on seeding (at least for DII) or by estimating the placers if you assume that the 3rd and 4th place finishers both lose in the consolation semi's and the 5th and 6th place finishers both lose in the consolation quarters. Obviously, that isn't always exact but it can get you a good preview. It also doesn't include any potential bonus points which is one area teams can separate themselves if their placings are roughly the same.

SCstatechamp160 is pretty much right on with the advancement and bonus point scenarios. One thing to remember is that when a bye is received in the previous round, you will receive advancement points for that bye if you win your next round match.

Also, the placement points for a tournament placing to 6 places are as follows:

1st - 16

2nd - 12

3rd - 9

4th - 7

5th - 5

6th - 3

You can get an interesting estimate of team scores based on seeding (at least for DII) or by estimating the placers if you assume that the 3rd and 4th place finishers both lose in the consolation semi's and the 5th and 6th place finishers both lose in the consolation quarters. Obviously, that isn't always exact but it can get you a good preview. It also doesn't include any potential bonus points which is one area teams can separate themselves if their placings are roughly the same.

Thanks for the help with laying out the rules for advancement points, bonus points, and placement points.

My question is whether advancement points are "bonus" points. That is, are they independent of the placement points? Does the champion, say, in a weight receive his advancement points plus his bonus points plus his 16 placement points, for a total of many more than 16? Thanks!

Thanks for the help with laying out the rules for advancement points, bonus points, and placement points.

My question is whether advancement points are "bonus" points. That is, are they independent of the placement points? Does the champion, say, in a weight receive his advancement points plus his bonus points plus his 16 placement points, for a total of many more than 16? Thanks!

Yes. They all add up. For example, the champion pins every kid he wrestles which is 5 matches. He scores 16 points for getting first, 10 points for pinning five kids, and plus the 8 points for advancing. So the individual score would be 16 plus 10 plus 8 for his points for the team. Is this any help?

Bonus points are probably the easiest thing to understand. Bonus points are awarded immediately at the conclusion of the match when earned. These are 2 points for a fall, 1.5 points for a tech fall, and 1 point for a major decision. A regular decision earns no points.

Advancement points are awarded at the conclusion of each match where the winner moves forward (advances in the bracket). The only matches where a wrestler will not earn advancement points after a win is in the final match (championship, consolation finals, or 5th place). Advancement points are not awarded for a bye unless the wrestler wins his next match.

Placement points are awarded as each wrestler earns a place (is guaranteed no lower than a certain place). I will give a couple of examples to illustrate this:

Ex 1) A wrestler wins his quarter final match reaching the semi-finals. Each of the 4 semi-finalists is awarded the 3 points for 6th place as that is now the worst the can finish. Similarly, a wrestler moving from the consolation quarters to the consolation semi-finals is awarded the 3 points for 6th place.

Ex 2) A wrestler wins his semi-finals match reaching the championships. Each of the 2 finalists is awarded 9 points as they are now guaranteed 2nd place (9 points plus the 3 previously earned for 6th = 12 points for second). A Similar situation occurs for winners in the consolation semi-finals.

Ex 3) A wrestler wins his match in the championship finals. The winning wrestler is awarded 4 placement points at the conclusion of the match (4 points + the 9 for 2nd + 3 for 6th = 16 points). A Similar situation occurs for the winners in the consolation finals.

Ex 4) Any wrestler losing in their placement match (earning 2nd, 4th, or 6th) earns no more points for their team at the conclusion of the match as all placements points were previously awarded.

That may be a little more in-depth than you were asking for but I hope that it helps.