D1 vs D2

slapPick

103 Holloway D2 (he has already won this matchup 2X)

112 Robinson D2

119 Brunner D2

125 Watson D2

130 Manley D2

135 Baker D2

140 Doster D2

145 Hooker D2

152 Colbaugh D1 & Agnew D2 (tossup because Agnew is a very difficult matchup for a high school wrestler)

160 Duncan D2

171 Martino D2

189 Holmes D2 (Had one loss this season in OT @ Cincinnati Archbishop Moeller)

215 Bolton D1 (Mason is a beast and could win this with a pin. Mark it down he will be playing in the SEC & NFL)

285 Benson D1 (The 285's in D2 were not very athletic but that will probably change next year when Mason makes the move to 285)

Edited by cbg

With the conclusion of the state tournament there is ALWAYS talk about which division is the best. So let's have some more fun and compare the champions!!

103-Jonah Smith(SD) vs Cole Holloway(Bay)

112-Alex Kaferle(Tull) vs Tate Robinson(CBHS)

119-Tanner Bates(Mt.J) vs Brandon Brunner(Bay)

125-Eric Feuerbacher(Blk) vs Zack Watson(Bay)

130-Campbell Lewis(SD) vs Alex Manley(Bay)

135-Marvin Lopez(Cleve) vs Kaleb Baker(CBHS)

140-Aaron Lopez(Cleve) vs Stuart Doster(Bay)

145-Josue Brown(HL) vs Michael Hooker(Mc)

152-Bradley Colbaugh(Brad) vs Chris Agnew(Ryan)

160-McCoy Newberg(Ind) vs TJ Duncan(Mc)

171-Holden Schay(Hou) vs Chase Martino(Mc)

189-Cody Davis(Pf) vs T.J. Holmes(Ryan)

215-Tucker Bolton(Brad) vs John Mackey(Bay)

heavy-Patrick Benson(Brad) vs Barrett Gauger(Bay)

Congrats to ALL THE CHAMPIONS!!!!!

but lets see what everyone thinks!! WHO WINS?

D2 is a clear winner this year based on prior matches and other information.

Edited by smwwrest

Newburg is the only incorrect pick you have, he is by far the best wrestler in his weight D1 or D2. he walked all over shrader tonight... Plus Duncan had no competition in D2 compared to Newburg.

Again, congrats to all of the wrestlers that earned State Championships today! Facts to chew on...

Newburg lost to Duncan this year. Newburg continues to improve, but Duncan is clearly the wrestler to beat at 160. Maryland was obviously very impressed with Duncan.

Smith beats Holloway? Hollaway has already beaten Smith twice this year. Big win tonight for Smith to avenge his earlier loss to Dalrymple, but he has not done this yet with losses to Holloway.

Lewis - has never beaten Manley that I am aware of. Earlier in the year, Lewis lost to D2 3rd placer Matt Johnson (125 lbs) as well as to Marvin Lopez, who also lost to Manley. Have to give the edge to Manley on this one. Hats off to Lewis after slow start, having a very strong finish.

Brown lost to Hooker last year...clearly Brown is improved, but so has Hooker. Maybe not a major this year, but the odds still strongly favor Hooker.

Schay was majored by Martino earlier in the year. He probably makes it closer, but Martino still the favorite. Schay showed tremendous heart finishing the finals match with a hurt leg tonight. Schay also has close losses to D2 second placer Rupiper in his career which add to support that Martino would be the favorite.

Edited by smwwrest

well you obviously have never seen mccoy wrestle in your life or anyone else for that matter. he is a power house and can not be stoped and he showed it this weekend!

Pretty funny that you are arguing with Maj...he's generally a D1 guy, but has significant knowledge and experience with these matches and is calling them straight.

Lewis - has never beaten Manley that I am aware of. Earlier in the year, Lewis lost to D2 3rd placer Matt Johnson (125 lbs) as well as to Marvin Lopez, who also lost to Manley. Have to give the edge to Manley on this one. Hats off to Lewis after slow start, having a very strong finish.

Do people not realize after watching Campbell wrestling last night that he was sick and injured when he lost to Johnson. Lewis proved he was in the best when he came out strong and gave Woods more then he could chew on. Campbell takes Manley by 2 points with a late takedown.

With the conclusion of the state tournament there is ALWAYS talk about which division is the best. So let's have some more fun and compare the champions!!

103-Jonah Smith(SD) vs Cole Holloway(Bay)

112-Alex Kaferle(Tull) vs Tate Robinson(CBHS)

119-Tanner Bates(Mt.J) vs Brandon Brunner(Bay)

125-Eric Feuerbacher(Blk) vs Zack Watson(Bay)

130-Campbell Lewis(SD) vs Alex Manley(Bay)

135-Marvin Lopez(Cleve) vs Kaleb Baker(CBHS)

140-Aaron Lopez(Cleve) vs Stuart Doster(Bay)

145-Josue Brown(HL) vs Michael Hooker(Mc)

152-Bradley Colbaugh(Brad) vs Chris Agnew(Ryan)

160-McCoy Newberg(Ind) vs TJ Duncan(Mc)

171-Holden Schay(Hou) vs Chase Martino(Mc)

189-Cody Davis(Pf) vs T.J. Holmes(Ryan)

215-Tucker Bolton(Brad) vs John Mackey(Bay)

heavy-Patrick Benson(Brad) vs Barrett Gauger(Bay)

Congrats to ALL THE CHAMPIONS!!!!!

but lets see what everyone thinks!! WHO WINS?

Stevens (SD) was the champ at 112 in D1

103-Cole Holloway(Bay) D2 3-0

112-Tate Robinson(CBHS)D2 6-0

119-Tanner Bates(Mt.J) D1 6-3

125-Zack Watson(Bay) D2 10-3

130-Campbell Lewis(SD) D1 10-6

135-Kaleb Baker(CBHS) D2 13-6

140-Stuart Doster(Bay) D2 16-6

145-Michael Hooker(Mc) D2 20-6

152-Bradley Colbaugh(B)D1 20-9

160-TJ Duncan(Mc) D2 23-9

171-Chase Martino(Mc) D2 27-9

189-Cody Davis(Pf) D1 27-12

215-Tucker Bolton(Brad)D1 27-16

HWT-Patrick Benson(Bra)D1 27-20

As much as i hate to say it D2 takes this one home. D1 guys would have to step it up to make it close. Oh and Newberg wouldn't stand a chance against Tennessee's first FIVE TIME STATE CHAMP Tj Duncan. Congrats to him and all his hard work.

You d-1people are living in a fantasy world. Some of the picks are laughable. There is a big difference in the quality of opponents in some of these schools. What's worse is some of your pics were beaten by their d-11 counterparts. I can assure you Baker, Duncan, Doster, Holloway all win. Check out their results when they wrestled. The Holloway kid got better and better through the year. I think the new Baylor Heavy would win as well. The Bradley guys have wrestled 0 competition other than Soddy and Cleveland. I think Manley beats Lewis. Ask some people in the know because I'm positive they have practiced together. when I get home I'll do a little research but I say d-2 wins this dual easily.

You can't go on prior matches all the time. We have all seen big defeats at State (D-1 and prior to the split) over the years. It's about peaking at the right time. Being healthy etc. When State was all under one tourney (private vs public) traditional tourney champs was close. Take out McCallie years they dominated it's about even.

1994-97 was won by now D-1 programs. Prior to the split back to back was Overton. With the strenth of Bradley, SD, Clev, Frank, Clks over the last 10 years it would have been fun to seen who finished 1st. The split was a mistake IMHO!

Edited by rigger101

You can't go on prior matches all the time. We have all seen big defeats at State (D-1 and prior to the split) over the years. It's about peaking at the right time. Being healthy etc. When State was all under one tourney (private vs public) traditional tourney champs was close. Take out McCallie years they dominated it's about even.

1994-97 was won by now D-1 programs. Prior to the split back to back was Overton. With the strenth of Bradley, SD, Clev, Frank, Clks over the last 10 years it would have been fun to seen who finished 1st. The split was a mistake IMHO!

What else are you going to go on? Gut feelings?

smith

robinson

bates

watson

lewis

lopez

doster

brown

agnew

duncan/newberg is a tossup

schay

holmes

bolton

benson

Holmes over Cody Davis from Pigeon Forge? Disagree

103-SMITH

112-ROBINSON

119-BATES

125-WATSON

130-LEWIS

135-LOPEZ

140-LOPEZ

145-HOOKER

152-COLBAUGH

160-DUNCAN

171-SCHAY

189-DAVIS

215-BOLTON

HWT-BENSON

There should be a final match at the end between D1 and D2 so the winners can say they are overall state champions. Many hammers in both D1 and D2.

Holmes over Cody Davis from Pigeon Forge? Disagree

103-SMITH

112-ROBINSON

119-BATES

125-WATSON

130-LEWIS

135-LOPEZ

140-LOPEZ

145-HOOKER

152-COLBAUGH

160-DUNCAN

171-SCHAY

189-DAVIS

215-BOLTON

HWT-BENSON

There should be a final match at the end between D1 and D2 so the winners can say they are overall state champions. Many hammers in both D1 and D2.

Holloway has beaten Smith 2x this year...how many times is sufficient before he becomes the favorite? I think you have to give this to Holloway.

Same with Doster over Aaron Lopez...about 60 days ago Doster beats Lopez. It has to be Doster until Aaron beats him. That said, Aaron may ultimately be a better wrestler, given his outstanding work ethic.

Martino beat Schay 17-4 less than 30 days ago. Maybe he can make up some points and make this a decision, but 13 points is dominate. Have to pick Martino in the re-match, though could be closer.

Manley is the state's leading all time win leader. Lewis still did not look fully recovered in his semis win over Woods. He scored 5 of his 8 points on a head throw and then was let up at least once as Woods tried to get back in the contest. Manley has to be the favorite to do what he has done better than anyone in TN for 5 years and that's "win".

Baker vs. Marvin Lopez would be a great match, no head to head and the only common opponent appears to be Manley.

Edited by smwwrest

103- holloway d-2 maybe bonus

112- Robinson d-2 bonus points

119- d1 in a close one

125 Watson d-2 bonus points

130- maley d-2 Lewis has wrestled both Manley and Watson in practice as well as lost to some they have beaten. Woods gave Lewis a scare at the end and No way he does that to Manley

135 Baker d2 in a close one

140- dosterd2 in a close one

145- hooker d2 bonus points

152- toss up, colbaugh is tough but hasn't wrestled top competition. We'll give it to d-1 though

160- duncan-d-2,

171- martino d-2, not even close, definitely bonus points.

189- Davis d-1 easily

215- Bolton d-1 easily

285- not sure on this one. Was impressed with Gougher but will give it to d-1 on experience level.

With the bonus points for d-2 and maybe winning at 119, 152,and heavy it looks like d-2 in a landslide.

Edited by sweeptheleg