Some not happy about letting schools out for the state tournament

swanson71

http://www.wsmv.com/news/27224320/detail.html

This guy was way off and since he doesn't care about the tournament then he would of course feel this way, but this is an achievment that rarely comes to a county as a whole and girls from both teams and all teams that do make it to the tournament deserve all the support they can get. Everyone works real hard to get to the state tournament and that should be recogized by the community and school that has the priviledge to send their respective high school basketball team to the state tournament.

I don't get why he had to miss work, is he a teacher? It's unclear. If he is, I really doubt he will lose any pay over this. If he's concerned about his child's education over a day's miss, he should do spelling words, etc with him for a few hours to make up for it. If school was in session and the team was playing in the state the absentee rate would set a record.

Some nuts just don't realize how athletics and academics can benefit each other. <_<

unfortunately it's just human nature, there's always gotta be that ONE GUY/GIRL that has to ruin the fun for everyone by going around and saying "i'm suing you" or "this isn't fair to me" and so forth... but yeah if the person is so worried about the kid's education just for the day home school them, it's not like they didnt bring their books home and can't do some homework at home ON THEIR OWN.

"Oldham decided to grant every student and teacher in the county two and a half days so they could attend"

I can see a day but 2 and one half, that's alot, he has a point as a society we often put things that are not as important especially sports in the forefront. Schools often hire coaches and assitant coaches who can't really teach or bring experience to the class room and nothing is said so I guess it's also ok to let kids out for a ball game for half a week.

I don't get why he had to miss work, is he a teacher? It's unclear. If he is, I really doubt he will lose any pay over this. If he's concerned about his child's education over a day's miss, he should do spelling words, etc with him for a few hours to make up for it. If school was in session and the team was playing in the state the absentee rate would set a record.

Some nuts just don't realize how athletics and academics can benefit each other. <_<

If school is out his 6 yr old has to go somewhere. If he has no one to keep his child while she is out for 2 days then he would have to miss work to take care of her. So, if he works an hourly job, that's 2 days pay out of his pocket.

I was in the Boro and was supportive of my daughter's school cancelling classes but just because someone doesn't agree with the decision doesn't make them a nut job. It's the same principle as to why people get worked up over canceling classes for snow flurries... :popcorneater:

If school is out his 6 yr old has to go somewhere. If he has no one to keep his child while she is out for 2 days then he would have to miss work to take care of her. So, if he works an hourly job, that's 2 days pay out of his pocket.

I was in the Boro and was supportive of my daughter's school cancelling classes but just because someone doesn't agree with the decision doesn't make them a nut job. It's the same principle as to why people get worked up over canceling classes for snow flurries... :popcorneater:

Good to see some balance on this topic. I am a teacher and the parent of a STUDENT-athlete. We have taught our daughter that academics ALWAYS comes first even though she has earned an athletic scholarship. Sure she's missed classes to participate in tournaments, but she has never asked for preferential treatment--if she is required to make-up assignments that's what she does.

The district could have given those students participating an excused absence instead of canceling classes altogether. Too often we give lip service to academics, but the adulation goes to athletes and entertainers. This sends the absolute wrong message to our young people. I wonder would they give the same time off if their school were participating in the Knowledge Bowl?

By the way, there is a large private school in Memphis that regularly sends teams to state tournaments. This school doesn't even give their own student-athletes an excused absence for representing their school! Now that's crazy too!

Edited by BBallExtreme

In 2007 and 2008, Greenbrier's high school administration allowed students and teachers to attend/support the volleyball team in the state tournament finals. They were bussed in and I'll never forget, as a parent, the 'wave' of green lined up to buy tickets. It was really an emotional feeling to see all those exuberant young people entering the gym to support their fellow classmates and there's no doubt in my mind that it helped my daughter and her teammates win. Sometimes there's a time to celebrate and a time to work. Lord knows this didn't hurt anyone and no one was forced to attend. Life is tough at times for everyone...working parents of both students AND student-athletes, but I can assure you there were life-lessons learned and relationships built upon, too, those couple of days they missed classes. It was a great moment in time that my family will always be thankful for and cherish.

In 2007 and 2008, Greenbrier's high school administration allowed students and teachers to attend/support the volleyball team in the state tournament finals. They were bussed in and I'll never forget, as a parent, the 'wave' of green lined up to buy tickets. It was really an emotional feeling to see all those exuberant young people entering the gym to support their fellow classmates and there's no doubt in my mind that it helped my daughter and her teammates win. Sometimes there's a time to celebrate and a time to work. Lord knows this didn't hurt anyone and no one was forced to attend. Life is tough at times for everyone...working parents of both students AND student-athletes, but I can assure you there were life-lessons learned and relationships built upon, too, those couple of days they missed classes. It was a great moment in time that my family will always be thankful for and cherish.

[/quot

That's great I'm glad for you but it still not right for the students who could care less about sports, I assure you that the same thing doesn't usually occur when the band is in competion or the cheerleader squad or chess club etc. but it would have been nice to give those who did not want to attend the option to go to school.

Edited by anotherback

That's great I'm glad for you but it still not right for the students who could care less about sports, I assure you that the same thing doesn't usually occur when the band is in competion or the cheerleader squad or chess club etc. but it would have been nice to give those who did not want to attend the option to go to school.

There is not a thing wrong with it whatsoever. It doesn't matter if they care about sports or not; the girls and boys who accomplish this should be given the credit and the support from everyone. However, all sports should be treated equally. If the kids were given the option to go to school 99.99% of all the kids would stay home if, like I said, were given the option to stay home or go to school. The teachers are paid for it and it doesn't count against the kids for missing so there really is no problem. This was just someone who wanted something to complain about.

Edited by swanson71

There is not a thing wrong with it whatsoever. It doesn't matter if they care about sports or not; the girls and boys who accomplish this should be given the credit and the support from everyone. However, all sports should be treated equally. If the kids were given the option to go to school 99.99% of all the kids would stay home if, like I said, were given the option to stay home or go to school. The teachers are paid for it and it doesn't count against the kids for missing so there really is no problem. This was just someone who wanted something to complain about.

So you think it's ok for a 6 year old girl to stay home by herself?

Again, I'm very happy and proud that my daughter's school made it possible for students and teachers in the high school to attend the games. The athletes, band members, chess club and the quiz bowl team all deserve their peer's support. BUT if I were a single parent with a 6 year old and no one to leave her with, my only option might be to miss work and therefore lose much needed income. The students and the teachers aren't the only ones affected here.

Why would it be wrong for someone to comlpain about that?

No one has the right to tell anyone else that they have to support this or that and if someone doesn't want to it is thier right to say so, doesn't make them wrong or right and I would go my self but no way am I going to tell someone else they have to go because the people involved in that deserve thier support .Why? extra curricular activities are not a requirment for any public school I'm aware of so if they choose to not be involved so be it. Buu you can't tell them what to support no way shape or form and why does anyone deserve the support from people who are not fans? If you follow the team and get enjoyment from it great, but it's not mandatory. 99.99% percent not in our school district and Bradley-Cleveland area win thier share of games in many different sports, how ever I know many kids just are not into sports and would just as soon go to school, they have different priorities,again not saying people in athletics don't also have good priorities.