Baseball Fields

middletontigerfan

Not only does Overton have lights, I think it is the best venue for H.S. baseball in Davidson County. However, McGavock does have lights on its own field and I'm pretty sure Ezell Harding now has lights.

Per your last comment, Ravenwood had to install the "eyelids" on their lights to comply. This keeps light from going upward, into the sky. If you get a high fly ball, it goes above the lights and becomes VERY difficult to track on the way down.

The field that McGavock uses is part of Metro Parks & Recreation not Metro Public Schools. I have also been told that the John Overton field is part of Metro Parks & Recreation and not Metro Public Schools. Metro Public Schools would not install lights so they gave the deed for the baseball field to Parks & Rec and they installed lights. If the field is part of Metro Parks & Recreation the field "by definition" should be open to any team from Davidson County to use when John Overton & McGavock are not using the fields but I have never heard of this happening.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now, who is being ignorant? Use the bathroom before you go to the game and start earlier...if you start earlier, the team would have to leave school before lunch time and I apologize if I need to use the restroom over a 4 hour time span. This is just my opinion...

Station Camp has scrimmaged the last 2 years @ Lipscomb... get your facts right... I peed at the football restrooms just past centerfield.

I've played on 3 teams in the past 3 years (1 high school, and 2 college teams) and none of my schools have had lights. They are strictly to expensive for most schools especially programs that are forced to barely make ends meet because the school won't help them. One of the college teams I played for was Cumberland University reigning NAIA Champions and they have the nicest field around and Coach Hunt has been there a long time. Not having lights does not make the field less presentable it just means you can't play games past 8 o clock.

I am not even talking about Station Camp. I am discussing Scotts Hill and they don't have bathrooms at their football field, either!

Scotts Hills athletic facilities are a work in progress."We" have spent between two and three hundred thousand in the last year and a half,including county funding,athletic fundraisers,booster clubs...ect.The community has been amazing in their support too with the vast majority of labor costing nothing.For you to criticize what we are so proud of accomplishing(in so little time) is a little harsh when there are serveral programs with no better facilities than we have who have had much longer to refine them.There are plans for concessions,lockers,bathrooms, storage and lights....but it takes time and money.Please bear with us while we grow,you come here once or twice a season,we play here.

Edited by tradertwo

You're probably looking at $80K-$100K to install new lights and TSSAA has new lighting standards that should be adherred to. Most of the high school fields that do have lights don't meet 30 foot-candles in the outfield, 50 foot-candles in the infield. Even the better rec facilities like Williamson County don't meet that spec.

I like daytime baseball if the park is set up to accommodate the afternoon sun.

White House and Riverdale probably have to two nicest and most well kept up baseball fields in the state. Both teams take care of it themselves. I applaud both teams for their hard work and dedication. Both teams have lights and bathrooms btw

Edited by whhshd13

White House and Riverdale probably have to two nicest and most well kept up baseball fields in the state. Both teams take care of it themselves. I applaud both teams for their hard work and dedication. Both teams have lights and bathrooms btw

Add Station Camp to your list, check out new outfield wall... see you Sat., WH.