Oak Ridge Job

razorblade

The rumor is that Todd Wright of Lenoir City, formerly Maryville College women's coach has been hired. Any truth to that rumor?

I'm sure the Lenoir City folks will start complaining again very soon if that is true. I would imagine Wright would be a frontrunner for either of the big positions open right now....Oak Ridge or Maryville.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Karra Jackson New Oak Ridge Coach

OAK RIDGE, Tenn. — Less than two weeks after Oak Ridge High School Athletic Director Mike Mullins began his search for a girls' basketball coach, he came out of the gates early Friday with his new top Lady Wildcat.

Karra Jackson was introduced to the players around 7:15 this morning alongside Mullins and Principal Dr. Jody Goins. Jackson comes to Oak Ridge from Lexington’s (Ky.) Bryan Station High School after four years.

She led the Lady Defenders to a 24-7 record this past season and garnered a second Region Coach of the Year award. Bryan Station was a regional semifinalist and was ranked in the top 20 in Kentucky last season.

“We’re proud that our search was diligent, thorough, and resulted in today's announcement,†said Mullins. “Coach Jackson’s track record and reputation as a player, teacher, and as a coach makes us confident that they will translate to success for our girls' basketball program.

“The committee worked extremely hard, their research and persistence paid off after many long hours. I appreciate our fans patience during this arduous process.â€

Originally from Middlesboro, Ky., Jackson crossed the Cumberland Gap to play college basketball at Lincoln Memorial University where she was a four-year starter for the Division II Lady Railsplitters. While a player at LMU, she was named the 1998 Gulf South Conference Freshman of the Year, earned All-Gulf South Conference honors three times, was team captain twice and was named the school’s Female Athlete of the Year for 2001 and 2002.

Jackson also served as an assistant to Hall of Fame coach Roy Bowling at North Laurel High School in London, Ky., before taking the job at Bryan Station. Coach Bowling won four girls' state championships — including three straight from 1977-79 at Laurel County.

Jackson is the third coach in the last three years for the Lady Wildcats program after longtime coach Jill Prudden stepped down two years ago. Prudden, a 900-win coach, was followed by her assistant David Scott this past season.

“I am very excited about the hiring of Karra Jackson as the new head coach,†Prudden stated in a press release. “She impressed me with her genuine desire to teach young ladies both on and off the court.â€

Scott led Oak Ridge to a 21-7 season, a regular season District 3-AAA title, and a second-place finish in the district tournament before losing to William Blount in the Region 2-AAA tournament. The district Coach of the Year stepped down a little more than a month ago to spend more time with his family.

Why would a program of this high standard hire a Coach out of State with two years head Coaching experience and two years as an assisant? I was told that they had some of the biggest names in TN HS Coaches apply. This just doesnt smell right? OR way to take care of your in State people?

• 1 month later...