BATTERS BOX

NewellHartbaseball

Okay so ppl are still talking about the terrible call last season in the district 13AAA championship game between Ja

ckson Northside & Dyer County. The district

Tournament is at Jackson Northside this year........should the batters box be required at this tournament? I KNOW I WOULD PREFER THEM! I think they should because

Some fans don't realize that even if you raise your arm & the ball hits you.....if you are in that box you get your base!

Okay so ppl are still talking about the terrible call last season in the district 13AAA championship game between Ja

Tournament is at Jackson Northside this year........should the batters box be required at this tournament? I KNOW I WOULD PREFER THEM! I think they should because

Some fans don't realize that even if you raise your arm & the ball hits you.....if you are in that box you get your base!

Technically you are wrong. You can be hit by a pitch and not receive a base. It can even be called a strike if in the umpires judgement you have move your arm into the strike zone...

By rule, regardless if there is a batters box or not, the batter has to make an effort to get out of the way. Of course this is a judgement call on the umpires part so good luck with that. But my question is why would it be in question if there is a batter's box or not? I've never heard of a tournament game NOT having a batter's box.

By rule, regardless if there is a batters box or not, the batter has to make an effort to get out of the way. Of course this is a judgement call on the umpires part so good luck with that. But my question is why would it be in question if there is a batter's box or not? I've never heard of a tournament game NOT having a batter's box.

No where in the rule book does it state the highlighted.

The rule book states a batter must not ALLOW himself to be hit.

as far as the tournament NOT HAVING batter's box---we've always had them. However; Northside never puts them down, yet they were complaining about 3 batters in a row getting hit. One guy did raise his elbow/arm in effort to move but it still got him. He was not hugging the plate; therefore, I say he was in the box (even tho there wasn't one at all).

So my question is: Since the district tournament is being held at Northside, will they be made to mark the batter's box? Or SHOULD they be made to mark it?

No where in the rule book does it state the highlighted.

The rule book states a batter must not ALLOW himself to be hit.

glock...I didn't quote the rule book, just put it in different words. They both mean the same thing. Not ALLOWING yourself to get hit means you make an effort to get out of the way.

Agreed. Sort of. If they did mean the same thing, the NFHS probably wouldn't have changed the wording.

Basically, if a pitcher throws a pitch in the middle of the batter's box that hits the batter, he should absolutely go to first as long as the batter does nothing that causes him to be hit. If he does, dead ball and call the pitch a ball or a strike and the batter stays at bat.

Edited by glock22

The bigger concern to me would be ruling on a ball making contact with a base runner. If the batter lays down a bunt and makes contact with the ball on the way to 1st base he is out if the contact with the ball is made outside of the batters box. If he is still in the box it is a foul ball. For this reason alone I believe it should be mandatory to have the batter's box. Why would you not?

Adding fuel to your fire===at State Meeting for umpires it was stated that even tho a batter makes no attempt to get out of the way of a pitch, he is to be awarded 1B, however, if the pitch is in the strike zone, we have a dead ball and a strike on the batter with any/all other runners returning to their last legally acquired base.If the batter moves into the pitch causing the contact, then we have dead ball and either a strike or ball depending where the pitch was with no award of 1B. Not a complicated rule. Yes, batter's boxes should be put down, umpires can have the home team put them down if not there. However, once you begin the game, the offended team has no recourse other than to ask them to be put down if batter is deemed to regularly be outside the box. Remember tho, the batter can even have a foot on the lines and still be legal as long as his foot is still touching the line when the ball is hit. A little more complicated, yes.Hoping I have made no typos in post.**LOL**

You only have a batter's box for right handed hitters until there's a play at the plate anyway and then they're gone. The dead ball/live ball call on a bunted ball that hit's the batter is judgement anyway. No way the guy behind the plate can see the ball and the batter's feet at the same time and the guy in the field can't see if a foot is on the outside edge of a batter's box. I wouldn't ever call out of the box on a batted ball unless a guy is really stepping forward or out because he's moving purposefully to the front of the box or across the plate in obvious situations. It's too hard to prove if you're paying attention to your strike zone. Then there's the fact that the lines are diminished as the game goes on anyway. Nobody complains when there's no catcher's box.