CPA Basketball

MrBibee50

Drew Maddux and the CPA boy's basketball team came so close last year, but their long season was brought to an end by East Literature in the Region Semi-finals. With the majority of their roster returning, they should have a great chance at winning the state title. Craig Bradshaw and Jalen Lindsey should be an unstoppable duo on the court this upcoming season. Does anyone know who could beat them?

Edited by MrBibee50

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CPA will be very good this coming year, but what will be very interesting is the 2013/2014 year IF (and that's a big IF) the team stays intact and they have no major injuries. If all of this year's soph's stay, develop, and stay healthy, they should be nationally ranked in 2013/14.

This coming year they will still have to play well to beat the other top teams in their division, especially Memphis area teams.

I think that they will have a difficult time beating Maplewood this year. That matchup will probably be the best in the local area this winter of any of the schools regardless of classification.

You may be right - I don't know what Maplewood has back or new; however, CPA was a little better than Maplewood, IMO, last year, and they have 90+% of their scoring back, sophomores who now have a full year's experience competing, and a couple of new additions. CPA will be much better, and is hard to imagine Maplewood keeping up with that.

And, even with Lindsey getting a lot of hype, Bradshaw will be the one who will impress everyone with his play his senior year. He is doing very well for the Travelers in nationwide tourneys this summer.

You may be right - I don't know what Maplewood has back or new; however, CPA was a little better than Maplewood, IMO, last year, and they have 90+% of their scoring back, sophomores who now have a full year's experience competing, and a couple of new additions. CPA will be much better, and is hard to imagine Maplewood keeping up with that.

And, even with Lindsey getting a lot of hype, Bradshaw will be the one who will impress everyone with his play his senior year. He is doing very well for the Travelers in nationwide tourneys this summer.

Hasn't CPA supposed to have won it the last 3 or 4 years but the seasons tend to end early? Why?

Hasn't CPA supposed to have won it the last 3 or 4 years but the seasons tend to end early? Why?

They say Maddox isnt able to win the big games, didnt do it as a player in high school or college, hasnt done it as a coach, i dont know im from east tn so im not around middle tn ball enough to really know whats goin on...I do know this if they dont win it this year something is really wrong,cause AA is way down

No, they were supposed to win in 2008, but came up short. Here is year by year.

2007 - Lost in state tourney to Dyer Co. when refs gave DC an extra 10 seconds to score the winning basket. Had a great season - got eliminated by horrendous clock operator and refs.

2008 - Were picked to possibly win it all. Did not play up to expectations, no doubt, partly due to injuries.

2009 - Were not projected to have a great year, but did OK considering an 8th grader was their leading scorer.

2010 - Were not picked high preseason. Had a great year, won District, lost region to a very good East Lit team. Had 3 Freshmen starters.

So, only one year were they picked to win it in preseason and didn't, and actually overachieved in 2007 and 2010.

Enough of this already. This is Goodpasture all over again. Can't win with Ron and Drew, lets go get Sam. Oops! That didn't work either. CPA good school. Drew Maddux good coach. Ethics and integrity taking some lumps. I've heard tell of CPA's mission. I'm not sure what that means. Stay part of the public school division and show them the right way of doing what? Each year that CPA does not win the state championship they have a new player(s) to bolster their lineup under shaky circumstances. That just doesn't take place in most public schools. No one is doing anything wrong but man CPA should buy lottery tickets with their good fortune.

The football coach was released because he did not market himself in the community. What exactly does that mean? Which community? MBA, Ensworth, Brentwood Academy, FRA sound like "their" community. Stratford, Pearl-Cohn, Maplewood, East Lit does not sound like "their" community. It's rediculus for CPA to be away from all of the other private schools, hipocritical even.

What's the old saying, if it walks like a duck and it talks like a duck? Well you guys quack me up.

Good luck to CPA this year. Maybe you will win it. If not, it will be time for big boy to head to Oak Hill. If he needs directions his coach can give him Ron Mercer's number. He knows where it is. How's it going with the Brentwood 8th grader? He is really good. Better than the Brentwood coach deserves, but needy of the best coaching in the state (Drew)that will get him to the big time. Next year I think there might be a Brentwood family adopting a 6'8 freshman from Memphis. Might even be time to work the foreign exchange programs (Dirk).

Enough of this already. This is Goodpasture all over again. Can't win with Ron and Drew, lets go get Sam. Oops! That didn't work either. CPA good school. Drew Maddux good coach. Ethics and integrity taking some lumps. I've heard tell of CPA's mission. I'm not sure what that means. Stay part of the public school division and show them the right way of doing what? Each year that CPA does not win the state championship they have a new player(s) to bolster their lineup under shaky circumstances. That just doesn't take place in most public schools. No one is doing anything wrong but man CPA should buy lottery tickets with their good fortune.

The football coach was released because he did not market himself in the community. What exactly does that mean? Which community? MBA, Ensworth, Brentwood Academy, FRA sound like "their" community. Stratford, Pearl-Cohn, Maplewood, East Lit does not sound like "their" community. It's rediculus for CPA to be away from all of the other private schools, hipocritical even.

What's the old saying, if it walks like a duck and it talks like a duck? Well you guys quack me up.

Good luck to CPA this year. Maybe you will win it. If not, it will be time for big boy to head to Oak Hill. If he needs directions his coach can give him Ron Mercer's number. He knows where it is. How's it going with the Brentwood 8th grader? He is really good. Better than the Brentwood coach deserves, but needy of the best coaching in the state (Drew)that will get him to the big time. Next year I think there might be a Brentwood family adopting a 6'8 freshman from Memphis. Might even be time to work the foreign exchange programs (Dirk).

Actually, even as a CPA fan, I like your post, and don't necessarily disagree with most of your points. I love CPA, and they do have a great mission for kids. One of my kids wen there and really needed what he got there - unconditional love and special attention. I have personally questioned why they stay public for sports, and some of the most recent (2-3 years)developments in the athletic department. Regardless of their heart intent, trying to excel in sports lends itself to potential problems, just like trying to be rich lends itself to problems in our world. There is always a fine line between trying to be your best with noble intent, and compromising to ge there. I know the CPA administration very well, and they, are for the majority part, dedicated to doing things right. is there reason to criticize? Maybe, but it is mostly good, not all bad, as some outside seem to believe.

I heard they are getting an excellent post player transferrring in from Hunters Lane. Stone and Robertson are going to be studs this year. I've seen hunter's lane this summer and he wasn't with them so it's probably true.

FYI. I think it is a stain on CPA to not be participating in DII. Sorta like an NBA team playing in the NBDL. Although District 10 is tough with the urban Nashville teams that they play against, they should be competing against the Ensworths, MBA's, BA's of the world. I think public open enrollment and private schools playing public ones sucks and does invariably lend to loading up teams and recruiting the best athletes even with the best intentions at heart.

BDP!

CPA4Ever there are a lot of good people at CPA win or lose. Sad thing is, no one likes to lose. That means pride and vanity wins out sometimes and shortcuts are taken.

Pitchfork you better believe a lot of those metro schools beat the bushes and recruit! They don't like the private schools recruiting their kids but it's "ok" if they recruit out of zone kids.