LETS TALK WATAUGA

oleagle

ELIZABETHTON WILL BE THE BEST TEAM IN THE WATAUGA THIS YEAR. THEY COULD BE THE BEST IN UPPER EAST TN. BUT THERE ARE SOME OTHER GOOD TEAMS AS WELL. JOHNSON COUNTY WILL SURPRISE MOST TEAMS THEY PLAY AND THEY COULD SNEAK UP ON ELIZABETHTON ON A GIVEN NIGHT. THESE TWO TEAMS SHOULD BE AT THE TOP AND EVERYONE ELSE FIGHTING FOR PLACES 3 THROUGH 8 BUT ON ANY GIVEN NIGHT ANYONE CAN WIN. THE WATAUGA SHOULD BE FROM TOP TO BOTTOM ONE OF THE BEST IN HIGH SCHOOL BASKETBALL.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest cutnoslack

I was told of a kid named Robbie Simpson whose parents are from Kentucky was moving to Elizabethton up behind the airport near Hunter school. His dad I think has something to do with Moody. They say he has played before. Does anyone know anything about him and where he might end up at.

Winning on the road in the Watauga conference is similar to winning on the road in the ACC. The team that can win at home and steal a few on the road will have a chance to be in the top two or three in the conference. There is little doubt that all the pressure will be on Betsy to repeat, but they have the athletes to do it. On the other hand, I would not be surprised if Betsy loses a couple in the league on nights when their stars get in foul trouble because they are not very deep. They have the best four players in the league, but it may take more that four to win this league. I'm interested in who people think has the best 7 or 8 guys in this league.

Hampton has a rich traditon and it is tough to win there. I have called games there and the fans really get into it. Sullivan Central will be good and so will Volunteer. I was checking and Robbie Simpson is a 6'9 kid near Lousiville, Kentucky. It might be that his parents are missionaries. If I am not mistaken is behind the airport, Unaka territory.

This might not be the kid you are thinking about but was just trying to help.

[Edited by tennreferee on 10-10-02 11:12A]

Volunteer will give Elizabethton all they want this season and more. They are some players who were inelgible last season that is now playing from Kingsport. They could very well be the most athletic team in the conference. And with what Elizabethton has back that is saying alot. They had a kid that was very big but I don't know his name and yes he was a good addition to that team. Moves and jumps very well.

• 2 weeks later...

It was said of Volunteer that "[t]hey (sic) are some players who were inelgible last season that is now playing from Kingsport." That is not true. They have no transfers from Kingsport and there were no ineligible players because of transfer. The only local transfer they had last year was a boy from Gate City, VA who was a freshman. They have another transfer from Gate City this year who is a senior.

Although Volunteer's starters may not stack up to Elizabethton's and Johnson County's, they probably can go as deep down the bench as anybody. It is too early to tell, but it appears that they may be able to go 9 or 10 deep without a terrible drop off in talent. We will see when the three projected starters that are playing football get back on the court and the team starts playing teams that are also at full strength.