All 80's and 90's team

OS91

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That would be an impossible task to put together an all decade team for the 80's and 90's. I'm kind of young so I don't know much about the 80's but in the 90's I know it would be to hard. Just between Shelbyville and White Co. you couldn't pick an all decade team. Those two teams were national powers year in and year out. With some of the best basketball teams this state has ever seen. That is just two schools, think when you add Oak Ridge and all the other greats. I'm not even trying to name anyone, to many to pick from.

Man, you could take Region 4AAA and come up with an unbelievable team for the 90's. I guarantee that. Remember some of these names: Kellie Jolly, Conswella Sparrow, LaDona Woodson, Tiffany Woosley, Latina Davis, LaTonya Johnson, Ginger Jared, Michelle Johnson, Allison Peercy, Sara Marcom, Allison Sain, Amber Clark, Monica Dillon, Katie Smith, Candice Mitchell, Miranda Moore, Andrea Baldwin, Myriah Lonegran, just to name a few

Then add in Oak Ridge players: The McGinnis sisters, Erin Young, Jennifer Azzi, Nikki Caldwell, Jennifer Wilson just to name a few.

Here are a few other names: Susan Starnes and the Davis twins (South Green), Rachel Powell, Pam Irwin, Misty Greene and Heather Wilson (Meigs Co.), Juana Brown (Memphis Harding), Amy Geren and Paige Redmond (Bradley Central). Nicky McCray (Collierville), Janet Holt (Moore Co.), Brittany Ezell (Franklin), Brynae Laxton (Oneida), Jessica Beaty (Cumberland Co.),Kitty Allen (Henry Co.)

Now that was just a few that came to mind in about five minutes. I know I have left out a bunch of names. That was some great girls basketball in the state of Tennessee during that time period. Those are the names of some of the ones that I had the pleasure to watch while they were playing high school basketball. I am sure I left out several West Tennessee players since I didn't get the opportunity to watch them as much. Without a doubt, that was an unbelievable decade of high school girls basketball in the state of Tennessee.

[Edited by sportsfanatic on 10-11-02 5:27P]

You would have to include Juana Brown from Harding Academy. Today she plays in the WNBA. Her partner in crime deserves at least honorable mention. Nikki White played at Oklahoma or Kansas, I always get them mixed up, after graduating Harding, and has now returned as their assistant coach. Nikki McRay from Collierville would also have to be on the team. These three girls are the top basketball players I have ever seen on the high school level. Definately better than girls I have seen recently (i.e. Ashley Early, Tommi Paris, Becky Brown, and Jada Mincy).

Well what about such players as Tonya Tuggles of Bradford the only player male or female to win three consecutive MVP'S at the state tournament or Ashley McHelhaney of Gleason she is starting for the third year at point guard for Vanderbilt when some people like myself included thought she was too small to play D-1 SEC basketball

For the 80s one of the most outstanding players from the state with impressive high school and college careers (that I can remember and I am gettting old) is Sheila Frost from Giles Co.

Sheila played for Giles County from 1982-85 then went to UT for her college career.

At Giles County, Sheila led the Lady Cats to the 1982 AA State Championship. She also was the 1982 Shot Put State Champion.

She led the Lady Vols to 2 National Championships in 1987 and 1989. She also played on the USA National team in 1987 and the Junior National team in 1986. She was on the 1989 NCAA All-Final Four team and the NCAA-All Regional teams in 1986, 1987, and 1989 as well as the All SEC teams of 1987, 1988, and 1989.

As far as a professional career, there was no real women's professional basketball available to Sheila when she finished at UT as far as I can tell. (If I am wrong, please correct me!)

I hope this is all accurate. I tried to remember the right stuff...lol...but like I said I am getting old.

[Edited by LadyCatsFan on 10-12-02 10:15P]

Guest BigCountry05

That's a good list sportsfanatic but you left a few Coffee County Girls out... How bout Leslie Henley, and also from the 80's June Jones who attended and played bball at Lipscomb Leslie Henley didn't play college basketball but that's because she persued track, Kandy Gilley also played at Tennessee Tech for one year and then she decided she did not like it there and the coach would not realease her to play at that level again so she playe motlow ball for 3 years.