where does Raquis Hale fit in the list of all time running backs at S.P.

RoyDJ

Snowball and Seven....two good guys from Trousdale that I met at the State Game last year. I have been watching Pirate football since the early 80s. I would say that the 85 and 86 runnerup teams would beat all the ones after them. Those teams were loaded with talent and ran the single-wing offense. I would love to see them in something more modern.

No doubt Eddie Moore was the best since I have been watching SP. He was dominate in every way....just came up short against a good Trousdale Co team. The feeling after that loss will never go away.

Sam was pure speed....probably the fastest guy I have ever seen in high school. I tried to get him to race me a few times....he declined so he would not embarrass an old slow white boy.

Fill us in on Vaughn?? I have never heard that story.

Shawn Vaughn would hands down have been our best running back in '99, but he broke his neck...maybe before the season ever started. He probably had the most rushing yards anginst you guys in '98, besides Payne that is. Vaughn was a hard nosed runner, and he had a above average speed. Don't know how much a difference he would have made in the '99 South Pitt game, but it definitely would have helped. What hurt that team more than losing him was playing Hazelwood Alabama. They physically beat us up that night...bad! How we won that game being down 24-0 at the half is beyond me. Easily one of Clint's best coaching performances, but it cost us down the road.

Shawn Vaughn would hands down have been our best running back in '99, but he broke his neck...maybe before the season ever started. He probably had the most rushing yards anginst you guys in '98, besides Payne that is. Vaughn was a hard nosed runner, and he had a above average speed. Don't know how much a difference he would have made in the '99 South Pitt game, but it definitely would have helped. What hurt that team more than losing him was playing Hazelwood Alabama. They physically beat us up that night...bad! How we won that game being down 24-0 at the half is beyond me. Easily one of Clint's best coaching performances, but it cost us down the road.

I actually saw that game on film. One of the members of the 99 SP team was like my little brother. After watching that film, I was very impressed with how TC pulled that game out. I can’t remember your quarterback’s name that year, but he was one tough son of a gun.

I will have to say that the 99 game was one of the best atmospheres for a game I have been in since the SP vs Signal game last year. Two heavyweights going at it until the end. That whole senior class from the 99 team were on a mission after losing in 98. Can’t say I wasn’t nervous, but I had a feeling that we would get the upper hand.

Well, since I have not commented on the actual thread title…..I guess I better give my two cents worth too.

It is really hard to rank/rate all the good runningbacks at SP. I have seen a lot of good ones play in orange & black and here is a list of what I consider the best at SP:

Johnny Sisco

Carl Lehr

Rodney Cummings

Patrick Pitts

Kevin Mitchell

Corey Tipton

Eddie Moore

Sam Pickett

Cody Walker

Robert Robinson

David Jones

Montrell Mitchell

Raquis Hale

Of course, Jimmy Wigfall and Bo Haden make this elite group…..I just can’t comment on them because I never saw them play.

Raquis definitely has a place in SP history and I was really excited for him that he had such a great showing in the state game last year.

I actually saw that game on film. One of the members of the 99 SP team was like my little brother. After watching that film, I was very impressed with how TC pulled that game out. I can’t remember your quarterback’s name that year, but he was one tough son of a gun.

I will have to say that the 99 game was one of the best atmospheres for a game I have been in since the SP vs Signal game last year. Two heavyweights going at it until the end. That whole senior class from the 99 team were on a mission after losing in 98. Can’t say I wasn’t nervous, but I had a feeling that we would get the upper hand.

aside from doc harper, shawn was the most gifted athlete we had that year. as a soph in 97 and jr in 98 he was in the running for most yards gained by a running back each season (excluding payne of course). the qb was eli sanders(4 year starter at fs at the naval academy) he had converted from full back the previous season. in the hazelwood game we lost, now defensive coordinator, adam keaton to a torn acl, while eli carried the mail that game the unsung hero's were adam bratton (o. tackle) and daniel towns(o. guard) who were both put on the strong side of the line as clint told them, "boys you're our only hope, we are loading the strong side running the veer and eli is keeping the ball everytime." not to mention a multitude of great "a gap" cut blocks by the center. :rolleyes:

in all honesty we were never ment to even make it to south pittsburg in the playoffs(according to the oracles at the tennessean and their season long weekly coverage of #1 ranked cpa.) but, it seems the bigger the underdog we are on that creekbank, the thicker that foggy mystique rolls in. :roflolk:

Edited by snoball5278

aside from doc harper, shawn was the most gifted athlete we had that year. as a soph in 97 and jr in 98 he was in the running for most yards gained by a running back each season (excluding payne of course). the qb was eli sanders(4 year starter at fs at the naval academy) he had converted from full back the previous season. in the hazelwood game we lost, now defensive coordinator, adam keaton to a torn acl, while eli carried the mail that game the unsung hero's were adam bratton (o. tackle) and daniel towns(o. guard) who were both put on the strong side of the line as clint told them, "boys you're our only hope, we are loading the strong side running the veer and eli is keeping the ball everytime." not to mention a multitude of great "a gap" cut blocks by the center. :rolleyes:

in all honesty we were never ment to even make it to south pittsburg in the playoffs(according to the oracles at the tennessean and their season long weekly coverage of #1 ranked cpa.) but, it seems the bigger the underdog we are on that creekbank, the thicker that foggy mystique rolls in. :roflolk:

Cut blocks? Your joking. I garuntee you that is an illegal block. If the TSSAA had known about that, they could have put that Satterfield man on probation for teaching that kind of mess. You think im joking but im not. He could have got that snapper ejected from the game and then he would have had to sit out another game.

Edited by Roy Dillard

Cut blocks? Your joking. I garuntee you that is an illegal block. If the TSSAA had known about that, they could have put that Satterfield man on probation for teaching that kind of mess. You think im joking but im not. He could have got that snapper ejected from the game and then he would have had to sit out another game.

roy sr., i'm not questioning your football knowledge, but you are confusing a legal cut block (cutting the gap and blocking on the defenders hip) with a chop block (diving into the knees... ). i garuntee a proper cut block is legal and the offensive players shoulder pad never touches the defenders knee.

roy sr., i'm not questioning your football knowledge, but you are confusing a legal cut block (cutting the gap and blocking on the defenders hip) with a chop block (diving into the knees... ). i garuntee a proper cut block is legal and the offensive players shoulder pad never touches the defenders knee.

I will have to ask my buddy Murphy about this snoball.

Edited by Roy Dillard

There have actually been a lot of kids hurt on those "legal cut blocks" including a pirate a couple of years ago. There is a big grey area in this rule and unless they are coached right, these blocks can be very dangerous. People think I'm kidding but I'm serious

There have actually been a lot of kids hurt on those "legal cut blocks" including a pirate a couple of years ago. There is a big grey area in this rule and unless they are coached right, these blocks can be very dangerous. People think I'm kidding but I'm serious

if the blocks were in the knees and hurting kids then they weren't legal. if a kids getting hurt it's because he's getting "chop blocked," but i'm repeating my myself, aren't i? icon_neutral.gif

i know the game, guru, and i learned it from the best. and when you have been taught to and can properly execute proper cut blocks the only thing you hurt is a d-linemans pride. thumb[1].gif

Edited by snoball5278