State Predictions

clifford20

So who will make it to the state in AA, AAA? Amazing the season is half over, typically by now, 6 of the 8 teams are pretty easy to pick. It is a little tougher this year I think. The east and middle tennesse is a tough one to pick. Memphis AAA is pretty much a lock.

Houston and Coliverville--lock

Ravenwood, indy and brentwood (brutal--3 best teams in the state?)

Siegel, Soddy, Riverdale, Ooltewah--Wide open--RHS unproven, Siegel and soddy returners. OHS is scary.

DB, South, AC-tough picks (who is missing from the east?)

Looks like Page will battle it out again this year with Redbank?

Fun stuff to think about.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So who will make it to the state in AA, AAA? Amazing the season is half over, typically by now, 6 of the 8 teams are pretty easy to pick. It is a little tougher this year I think. The east and middle tennesse is a tough one to pick. Memphis AAA is pretty much a lock.

Houston and Coliverville--lock

Ravenwood, indy and brentwood (brutal--3 best teams in the state?)

Siegel, Soddy, Riverdale, Ooltewah--Wide open--RHS unproven, Siegel and soddy returners. OHS is scary.

DB, South, AC-tough picks (who is missing from the east?)

Looks like Page will battle it out again this year with Redbank?

Fun stuff to think about.

maybe Hardin

Watched Soddy beat Farragut in the Tandem. They are not in the discussion. Soddy is 2 teams, 1 can beat anybody, the other loses to an average team like Farragut.

Soddy has a great player. If she is on they are fantastic, if not....

Soddy seemed to change things around at the Tandem. I saw them 3 or 4 times, and it looked like they played a different rotation.

Truthfully, I thought GPS would win it all. This is my first year helping coach, and I got tired!!!!

I agree that it will be Houston and Collierville from out west, but I don't expect either to win a game in pool. Siegal is a scary good team, lots of energy. Soddy could beat anyone, but is erratic. I would hate to play them when they are hot. Riverdale looked good this weekend. I love Ravenwood, would pick Indy next. South and Anderson County should both be locks to make state, and like Soddy, I would hate to play either in an elimination game.

I think the following are your top 8:

1)Ravenwood

2)Independance

3)Soddy (when they play well)

4)Brentwood

5)Anderson County

6)Siegel

7)Riverdale

8)Sullivan South

Whats rough is that some of your top 8 will knock each other out!

In AA I love Red Bank (beat my alma mater like a drum) and I think Page is strong. Stone Memorial also looks good, and so does CAK. If I were picking I would pick Red Bank.

what division is Goodpasture in? I was thinking they were AA and they looked good at the Choo-Choo. Also Farragut beat Soddy, a couple of weeks ago at the Choo-Choo.

They are in AA and are in a Brutal District and Region and looks to be one of the D and R that one doesn't want to miss with Hume Fogg, Lipscomb, CPA and others. Should be a gym full there.

Coach Johnson took care of one of those teams when she changed her rotation. But there are other matches to be played. No one really knows until the competition is ratcheted up a few levels.

Opinion, a bad rotation against lesser competition can be so deceiving, at the most inopportune time your team is beaten and not know exactly why. Why do coaches play great competition? To find those right rotations. The other side of the coin, at what point of the season do you find your best rotation? That would be a great question that some could give some great answers. Right now, with player improvement on some squads, there are still some top teams comparing stats from week to week to tweek play instead of just going with what you started with.

Edited by PHargis

Watched Soddy beat Farragut in the Tandem. They are not in the discussion. Soddy is 2 teams, 1 can beat anybody, the other loses to an average team like Farragut.

Soddy has a great player. If she is on they are fantastic, if not....

Soddy seemed to change things around at the Tandem. I saw them 3 or 4 times, and it looked like they played a different rotation.

Truthfully, I thought GPS would win it all. This is my first year helping coach, and I got tired!!!!

I agree that it will be Houston and Collierville from out west, but I don't expect either to win a game in pool. Siegal is a scary good team, lots of energy. Soddy could beat anyone, but is erratic. I would hate to play them when they are hot. Riverdale looked good this weekend. I love Ravenwood, would pick Indy next. South and Anderson County should both be locks to make state, and like Soddy, I would hate to play either in an elimination game.

I think the following are your top 8:

1)Ravenwood

2)Independance

3)Soddy (when they play well)

4)Brentwood

5)Anderson County

6)Siegel

7)Riverdale

8)Sullivan South

Whats rough is that some of your top 8 will knock each other out!

In AA I love Red Bank (beat my alma mater like a drum) and I think Page is strong. Stone Memorial also looks good, and so does CAK. If I were picking I would pick Red Bank.

I can say this about your observations, GPS will be there somewhere close to the top at the end.

Thats why this predicting business is not as tough as it seems. Simply, pick coaches with great techical skills and the desire to learn them. Be around them enough and you know who they are despite the players they attract.

Your comment about Houston is interesting and some may agree but this year may be different. Two DI recruits, not making the State last year, and other things may mean a little more hunger from players and coaches. This year they will be ready to play. They are more attuned to winning and likely have a lot to prove.

Siegel being scarey, a Coach Ann Mullins team will always be scarey but this year a little more so. With 4 seniors, being to State two years in a row, and some senior leadership that is really outstanding , is reinforced by a good junior class one of which is a transfer and the other members are freshman. The team at Siegel will be good for a number of years but to have a Libero such as Becca Cutter, an OH such as Maggie Smith and a Setter as Caroline Gay along with a Middle such as Addison Rogers brings the energy and chemistry you are mentioning. But yet with all of the coaching in 7AAA, the competition will be fierce. As has been mentioned Blackman and Riverdale are great this year and in the Substate, there looms Soddy which likely will be one of the substate participants. Only two go to State, So you can take two schools out of the mix, Brentwood or Indy and likely one out of 7AAA or Soddy. Who os left? First of all, if you keep Houston and Collierville you have 10.

So your top 10 schools are my listing of the top 10 schools in the State and I would like to list the top 14 instead of the top 10 in AAA.

My list is:

Ravenwood- Size and Coaching

Houston

Soddy

Riverdale

Siegel

Indy

Brentwood

Sullivan

Dobbyns Bennett

Anderson

Ooltewah

Hardin valley

Blackman

Collierville

Morristown East

Walker Valley

Edited by PHargis

I can say this about your observations, GPS will be there somewhere close to the top at the end.

Thats why this predicting business is not as tough as it seems. Simply, pick coaches with great techical skills and the desire to learn them. Be around them enough and you know who they are despite the players they attract.

Your comment about Houston is interesting and some may agree but this year may be different. Two DI recruits, not making the State last year, and other things may mean a little more hunger from players and coaches. This year they will be ready to play. They are more attuned to winning and likely have a lot to prove.

Siegel being scarey, a Coach Ann Mullins team will always be scarey but this year a little more so. With 4 seniors, being to State two years in a row, and some senior leadership that is really outstanding , is reinforced by a good junior class one of which is a transfer and the other members are freshman. The team at Siegel will be good for a number of years but to have a Libero such as Becca Cutter, an OH such as Maggie Smith and a Setter as Caroline Gay along with a Middle such as Addison Rogers brings the energy and chemistry you are mentioning. But yet with all of the coaching in 7AAA, the competition will be fierce. As has been mentioned Blackman and Riverdale are great this year and in the Substate, there looms Soddy which likely will be one of the substate participants. Only two go to State, So you can take two schools out of the mix, Brentwood or Indy and likely one out of 7AAA or Soddy. Who os left? First of all, if you keep Houston and Collierville you have 10.

So your top 10 schools are my listing of the top 10 schools in the State and I would like to list the top 14 instead of the top 10 in AAA.

My list is:

Ravenwood- Size and Coaching

Houston

Soddy

Riverdale

Siegel

Indy

Brentwood

Sullivan

Dobbyns Bennett

Anderson

Ooltewah

Hardin valley

Blackman

Collierville

Morristown East

Walker Valley

Sullivan _______??

Sullivan _______??

Am going top have to go with South as my experience with Central was not good the earlier part of the season but something has gotten into Central and their fine coach. According to my spies in the Big Eight, Huge competitive Volleyball matches have broken out from Kingsport to Mountain City

The declared death of Dobyns Bennett was over exaggerated, Sullivan Central has comne alive. South's Coach Ratliff has found nothing is going to be given to any school and I made the collosal mistake of forgetting there are a lot of SULLIVAN schools in the area. Thats almost as bad as getting in to the Greene clan. OPPS, havent gotten to that Division yet.

Edited by PHargis

LOVE the Walker Valley shout out!!!! They are getting better every day!

GO WV LADY MUSTANGS !!!

It's been an up and down season for the Lady Mustangs. I have to hand it to the ladies as well as the coaches, The team that will have to beat either Ooltewah or Soddy just to get to regions never shys away from the competition and has played in GOLD division in every tournament. They are not the biggest or hardest hitting team around but they do play well as a team.

I think we have all seen some GREAT volleyball as well as met some GREAT young ladies and parents. It's neat to see the girls that play together in club play against each other in HS and then talk and laugh with each other afterward.

So to every team that Walker Valley has had the chance to play this year, as a parent I say THANKYOU !!!

Playoffs and the Championship should be a blast to watch.

GO WV LADY MUSTANGS !!!

It's been an up and down season for the Lady Mustangs. I have to hand it to the ladies as well as the coaches, The team that will have to beat either Ooltewah or Soddy just to get to regions never shys away from the competition and has played in GOLD division in every tournament. They are not the biggest or hardest hitting team around but they do play well as a team.

I think we have all seen some GREAT volleyball as well as met some GREAT young ladies and parents. It's neat to see the girls that play together in club play against each other in HS and then talk and laugh with each other afterward.

So to every team that Walker Valley has had the chance to play this year, as a parent I say THANKYOU !!!

Playoffs and the Championship should be a blast to watch.

This is one of the best posts of the year. Here, with all of its fervor and passion, is what High School Sports and CoachT is all about and I am glad to be here with you and be able to say to this poster-----THANKYOU for sharing these thoughts with the fans.

Announcements