New 3A AP Top 10 Football Poll

QBClubPrez

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can see Alcoa with 3 losses still being in the top 10 but what about AE, I know they beat Alcoa but still

-------------------------------------------------

A-E forgot their blue suitcase in their losses :roflol::roflol:

When you look at A-E's 3 losses, you have to say that they were to some good teams. One was to Powell (ranked #2 in 5A). One was to West (ranked #8 in 5A). The last one was to Carter (4A school that is doing suprisingly well this year).

I was surprised to see CPA (Ranked #2 in most Class 3A Polls), only beat East Literature 14 to 7 last night. I would have thought they could put away East Lit, much easier, and by several touchdowns. What happened?

Ah.....yea, your using logic. Something most with these ballots in hand don't do. The good thing is it will all be sorted out in Cookeville! :thumb:

I was surprised to see CPA (Ranked #2 in most Class 3A Polls), only beat East Literature 14 to 7 last night. I would have thought they could put away East Lit, much easier, and by several touchdowns. What happened?

I agree - very surprising score, especially with Wharton back in the lineup after missing the last 2 weeks. I wasn't there, but looking at stats, here is what I noticed:

- CPA led 14-0 until the 4th quarter. Still playing good defense, but offense struggled.

- For some reason, EL has always given CPA fits despite what appears "on paper". Happened again, it seems.

- CPA 3 TO's (one for EL), and 113 yards in penalties (36 for EL). Not typical for them. They had a lot of offensive yards, but must have shot themselves in the foot with mistakes, keeping score down.

- They held EL to 45 yards rushing and less than 2 yards a carry.

- Wharton was a nonfactor except for throwing an interception, so I guess he is still fighting his toe injury. A healthy Wharton is worth 2 TD's a game.

CPA is good, but will have to play very well to beat either Maplewood or Pearl Cohn. A split in those 2 games and 9-1 regular season would be great. Frankly, don't see them as #2 best team in state, but definitely Top 10.

Milan, Fairview and Pearl really were impressive last night. All Top 5 teams, IMO.

I agree - very surprising score, especially with Wharton back in the lineup after missing the last 2 weeks. I wasn't there, but looking at stats, here is what I noticed:

- CPA led 14-0 until the 4th quarter. Still playing good defense, but offense struggled.

-

Too much trickery that came back and hurt CPA last night. Every time CPA tried a trick play it back fired and ended a drive and they tried way way too many of them. They came out in the opening drive of the second half and drove it down the field (75 yards) with basic run and pass offenses for a touchdown. Then CPA went back to the trickery (wildcat, etc.) and it killed their offense mommentum for the rest of the game. I don't understand why you have an all state reciever in Sam Cranford and only throw him the ball once or twice a game. The tight end(Hunter Thurley 6-3 230) is 3 for 3 for the year in catches and all three are for touchdowns, but he doesn't get thrown the ball and more than that. Odd play calling.

I would rather win ugly than lose ugly, but your right, CPA was not a number 2 ranked team last night.

All three turnovers were on trick plays or Wharton trying to make something happen that wasn't there. He is a great athlete but needs to learn when to turn it on and when to step back and let the ball just bounce away when it is dangerously bouncing on the field.

Too much trickery that came back and hurt CPA last night. Every time CPA tried a trick play it back fired and ended a drive and they tried way way too many of them. They came out in the opening drive of the second half and drove it down the field (75 yards) with basic run and pass offenses for a touchdown. Then CPA went back to the trickery (wildcat, etc.) and it killed their offense mommentum for the rest of the game. I don't understand why you have an all state reciever in Sam Cranford and only throw him the ball once or twice a game. The tight end(Hunter Thurley 6-3 230) is 3 for 3 for the year in catches and all three are for touchdowns, but he doesn't get thrown the ball and more than that. Odd play calling.

I would rather win ugly than lose ugly, but your right, CPA was not a number 2 ranked team last night.

All three turnovers were on trick plays or Wharton trying to make something happen that wasn't there. He is a great athlete but needs to learn when to turn it on and when to step back and let the ball just bounce away when it is dangerously bouncing on the field.

Defense played really well and gave up a fluke touchdown on a drive that had a questionable personal foul call and good pass interference call (both on drive ending third downs). CPA is only giving up 5.8 points per game, but the they are going to have to figure out the offense to beat Maplewood next week.

Edited by coachrus

CPA is good, they should be there

I'm a bit surprised that you have CPA as #4. I know they're much improved, but have played a somewhat light schedule to-date. In contrast, Pearl-Cohn is not on your list, and they have played a tougher schedule and appear to be strong this year. (Mind you, I've not seen either play this season.) In Sonny Moore's Power Ratings he has PC ahead of CPA as well.