Blount County Football

countryREB

I wish I was a young man. You don't have to ask me anything, you are right, you have the right to think or say anything you want to. The things you have been complaining about the last couple of days, I have heard it all before, so I agree that it seems a lot of people have the same opinion on this subject, usually people that feel like their kid did not get the playing time they deserved. People are not to squeamish to talk about it, they just have a little class and choose to talk about it with people they know instead of airing it on a public board where, maybe, the mans son might actually read it. You made your comments and tried to bait people into this subject before the game was even played, and no one has taken you up on it, and I am pretty sure that one or two of the posters that have posted the last couple of days, shares the same feelings as you do, but they chose not to air it out on here..... You are really one to call someone a young man.

So now you are the authority on class? I tried to bait no one. I made my comments known. And you are right they are not squeamish they are afraid , I was just trying to be nice about it. So are you saying that I have to have a boy playing to have an opinion? I know what I see and it is about time something was done about it. The differences in treatment of players and where they ride and when they eat and equipment that is issued and when they are told they aren't good enough , blah blah , yes I have heard it for years as well. A spade is a spade whether you like it or not. Sorry about the young man comment I was on a rant. I have seen 3 games this season the last two and the 2nd. There was no reason that the DAWGS should not have won them both. It is really easy to be arrogant with a bunch of middle school boys behind closed doors , I guess you were right in a previous post about them not being able handle it all.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My $.02....All 4 Middle School coaches are classy guys who have taught many middle school boys a whole lot more than Football for many years while being pretty successful at a GAME. MMS got beat by a better team on Tuesday night...Alcoa has a great middle school team...ouch, that hurt to say. Sevier Co (A very good team) beat MMS on a sloppy field with our 1st and 2nd team QBs injured. Did I agree with every call? or Could we have beaten those teams if only _________? (fill in the blank). Who knows? I did not agree with every coach's decision but the score would probably have been much worst if I were calling the plays. It is easy to be an armchair QB or Coach but I would pick Coach Malone and crew over any of you armchair Coaches...myself included. Just my opinion...I don't even think it is worth two cents in today's economy...lol.

I'm not ? His play calling , the point I am trying to make is that mms struggles with the better teams because he will not sub anyone . He tells them before the game that they won't play. He told a friend of mine 's boy and his class that they should not feel bad because they were not good enough to start. Now what kind coach runs his own players down like that. Oh well , it really does not affect me I just hate it for the kids . If he had no talent on the sidelines I would understand but there are some really good players just standing around. Good day homers.

Edited by weaklink

So now you are the authority on class? I tried to bait no one. I made my comments known. And you are right they are not squeamish they are afraid , I was just trying to be nice about it. So are you saying that I have to have a boy playing to have an opinion? I know what I see and it is about time something was done about it. The differences in treatment of players and where they ride and when they eat and equipment that is issued and when they are told they aren't good enough , blah blah , yes I have heard it for years as well. A spade is a spade whether you like it or not. Sorry about the young man comment I was on a rant. I have seen 3 games this season the last two and the 2nd. There was no reason that the DAWGS should not have won them both. It is really easy to be arrogant with a bunch of middle school boys behind closed doors , I guess you were right in a previous post about them not being able handle it all.

Hey man, I am not trying to put you down or argue with you or trying to change your opinion. I am just saying, I know a lot of people that have not agreed with some of the things in the program, but I have never heard anyone that did not speak highly of him as an individual. I know him personally and have nothing but respect for him. No, you do not have to have a kid on the team to have an opinion, having an opinion on anything is your right, but do you really think running him down on this message board is going to do anything constructive? I mean what you say on here is not going to get you a new coach, so why run a good man down on here because you don't agree with his decisions as a coach. BTW, I have talked to players dads from both schools and many people that were in attendance of the AMS vs. MMS game and you are the only one that has said MMS should have won, everyone else has told me that it was a mismatch and MMS did a good job of keeping the game as close as they did. Having said all this, I am not the authority on anything, if you don't believe me, just ask my wife....... so, by all means, if it makes you feel better to run him down, then let us have it, get after him.

It does not make me feel good to run anyone down. I did not say that MMS should have won , I said the could have won if perhaps we had some fresh legs on the field. The Tillery kid played a heck of a ball game as did Killingsworth ,Henley , Yoakum just to name a few. But they were all worn out by the third qtr. There are kids on the sidelines that could have been subbed in throughout the game that could have given those guys a breather even for a couple plays here and there. That could have made a difference in the game at some point. Yes AMS has a great team , good kids , I know some of them and I'm not taking away from them. When you have a coach who has his fab 15 picked before camp even starts and makes no bones about it to the other players it is a team concept killer. I would wager that about 85% of the MMS team , if they were honest, would tell you if you asked them about the team they would ask which one.? This is a fact. I think I have made my point here and if you seen the SEV CO game tell me it would not have made a difference. I heard groups of parents hollering "fresh legs". I understand were you are coming from and respect your opinion , we just disagree.

Edited by weaklink

It doesn't really matter now , they get to play LC north for the 3/4place. Weaklink I think a lot folks share some of your sentiments but maybe not all . How you choose to express them is your business , God knows I let go from time to time . Take a breath you are among friends here even. Though we may disagree from time to time. I have a boy on the MMS team and yes it is tough to watch.

Edited by GREYRIDER

Hey man, I am not trying to put you down or argue with you or trying to change your opinion. I am just saying, I know a lot of people that have not agreed with some of the things in the program, but I have never heard anyone that did not speak highly of him as an individual. I know him personally and have nothing but respect for him. No, you do not have to have a kid on the team to have an opinion, having an opinion on anything is your right, but do you really think running him down on this message board is going to do anything constructive? I mean what you say on here is not going to get you a new coach, so why run a good man down on here because you don't agree with his decisions as a coach. BTW, I have talked to players dads from both schools and many people that were in attendance of the AMS vs. MMS game and you are the only one that has said MMS should have won, everyone else has told me that it was a mismatch and MMS did a good job of keeping the game as close as they did. Having said all this, I am not the authority on anything, if you don't believe me, just ask my wife....... so, by all means, if it makes you feel better to run him down, then let us have it, get after him.

"QSouth89, on 21 September 2011 - 10:35 AM, said:

Catholic is really down this year. Their most talented players (other then Coulter) are freshman and sophomores. Could be a long year for the Irish and the fans (I hope) are aware of that. The team is not very athletic.

and the coach is horrible. Hope the fans are aware of that. Hope they are proud of what they hired. I hear this is his last year there, now Catholic is trying to throw big money toward Rankin. "

So which one of you is the pot and which is the kettle?

Same old stuff. Does a coach play to win or try to play more people and hope to win? I know a kid from alcoa that has played for the county champ the past few years and never saw the field Tuesday. It is an awkward time for most kids at that age. Some kids have not grown at all, others are as big as they will ever be. Some players "look" like studs, but the coaches haven't had them on the team long enough to know that looks are sometimes deceiving. Each high school class likely doesn't need more than 15 in each class that can play anyway. 15 seniors, 15 juniors, and 15 sophomores would be hard to get in every game anyway. Plus, middle school is usually the first time parents can't influence who the coach plays. It is hard on everybody, especially parents, and especially at alcoa and murvil with all their players and talent.

My .02, the kids know who the best players are (i.e. the pecking order). They also know who they need to impress and beat out in order to get more playing time. If it don't look very promising in the future, there are 2 other high schools in the county where they could play early, plus some private schools in knoxville that aren't that far away.

It does not make me feel good to run anyone down. I did not say that MMS should have won , I said the could have won if perhaps we had some fresh legs on the field. The Tillery kid played a heck of a ball game as did Killingsworth ,Henley , Yoakum just to name a few. But they were all worn out by the third qtr. There are kids on the sidelines that could have been subbed in throughout the game that could have given those guys a breather even for a couple plays here and there. That could have made a difference in the game at some point. Yes AMS has a great team , good kids , I know some of them and I'm not taking away from them. When you have a coach who has his fab 15 picked before camp even starts and makes no bones about it to the other players it is a team concept killer. I would wager that about 85% of the MMS team , if they were honest, would tell you if you asked them about the team they would ask which one.? This is a fact. I think I have made my point here and if you seen the SEV CO game tell me it would not have made a difference. I heard groups of parents hollering "fresh legs". I understand were you are coming from and respect your opinion , we just disagree.

I feel your pain Weaklink. It sounds like an unfortunate situation... I do believe that with the amount of kids he has and the amount of coaches he has, that there is probably a lot of decisions made by watching and knowing what these kids have done the year before. For example, player "A" is kind determined to be a receiver because he is tall and he runs well, player "B" is determined to be a RB because that is what he did for two years for Don Sentell, etc... this works a lot of the time, but it won't all of the time, every kid is growing differently, and a kid that wasn't a star for Sentell could hit a growth spurt and be really good in middle school, but will he be given a chance. I see what you are saying. Is there anyway to take on a couple of volunteer assistants to help out with the numbers? There are a lot of good, knowledgeable people around that program that could probably lend a hand. I know there is a big guy that moved here from Louisiana, and he was supposedly a O line coach for a well known school down there, if one could get some help like this, it would certainly help in grading the talent.

"QSouth89, on 21 September 2011 - 10:35 AM, said:

Catholic is really down this year. Their most talented players (other then Coulter) are freshman and sophomores. Could be a long year for the Irish and the fans (I hope) are aware of that. The team is not very athletic.

and the coach is horrible. Hope the fans are aware of that. Hope they are proud of what they hired. I hear this is his last year there, now Catholic is trying to throw big money toward Rankin. "

So which one of you is the pot and which is the kettle?

My whole thing here has been running down a man that is a good guy and one of your own. Meadows is neither a good guy nor one of my own.

I feel your pain Weaklink. It sounds like an unfortunate situation... I do believe that with the amount of kids he has and the amount of coaches he has, that there is probably a lot of decisions made by watching and knowing what these kids have done the year before. For example, player "A" is kind determined to be a receiver because he is tall and he runs well, player "B" is determined to be a RB because that is what he did for two years for Don Sentell, etc... this works a lot of the time, but it won't all of the time, every kid is growing differently, and a kid that wasn't a star for Sentell could hit a growth spurt and be really good in middle school, but will he be given a chance. I see what you are saying. Is there anyway to take on a couple of volunteer assistants to help out with the numbers? There are a lot of good, knowledgeable people around that program that could probably lend a hand. I know there is a big guy that moved here from Louisiana, and he was supposedly a O line coach for a well known school down there, if one could get some help like this, it would certainly help in grading the talent.

your points are valid and I agree that these are issues. It is my opinion however that there is more intent behind his actions.