Blount County Football

countryREB

Not Nix , I don't hide who I am . B. Phillips class of 79 , lucky enough to be on 2 State Championship teams . I wish everyone on here would reveal who they are .... everyone might be a lot nicer then .

Alcoa's class of 79 or Maryville's? I thought I replied to General Nix's thread though...

Edited by JSamson7

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why don't you tell us who you are , everyone on here knows me already , you're the new guy . If you throw a family member under the bus like this , I'd hate to see how you do a stranger.

You think I threw Jay under the bus?? That's far from the truth, all I said was I didn't think he was a good player (which he will freely admit) & not necessarily a great coach. That has nothing to do with how I feel about him as my cousin, but you take it how you want I guess...

Edited by JSamson7

I have to agree with you on this one, weaklink. Unfortunately I feel that Coach Malone has fallen in the mold like previous MMS coaches who played the wrong kids due to politics. You won't see that as much at the high school level, especially after Coach Hammontree put a stop to that practive in the mid 90's. Although he wasn't entirely popular amongst the Maryville boosters, Hammontree is the one who laid the foundation of what MHS has become today & the the man responsible for bringing in Quarles as well as Ellis for this amazing run we've had over the better part of the last 2 decades.

oh , you didn't say he plays politics ?

oh , you didn't say he plays politics ?

That's not throwing him under the bus. Look, if you want to know my name, it's Hughes. Now, what do you plan on doing with that? You want to run & go tell him what I said? I'll tell him myself, I have no shame in doing so. I don't envy his position at all being the coach at MMS, b/c I know exactly the kind of pressure he has with that position. You have every parent out there thinking that their kid needs to play b/c of this or that.

However, unlike Coach Hammontree or Coach Quarles, I don't feel Jay would play a kid who was better over a kid whose parents had more influence as a booster. Now Jay could tell me I'm wrong, but I'm going off the evidence I've seen as well as what I've heard from people who've had kids under his watch.

Edited by JSamson7

That's not throwing him under the bus. Look, if you want to know my name, it's Hughes. Now, what do you plan on doing with that? You want to run & go tell him what I said? I'll tell him myself, I have no shame in doing so. I don't envy his position at all being the coach at MMS, b/c I know exactly the kind of pressure he has with that position. You have every parent out there thinking that their kid needs to play b/c of this or that.

However, unlike Coach Hammontree or Coach Quarles, I don't feel Jay would play a kid who was better over a kid whose parents had more influence as a booster. Now Jay could tell me I'm wrong, but I'm going off the evidence I've seen as well as what I've heard from people who've had kids under his watch.

OK , no problem , I have more respect for you now , I just don't like people who criticize behind a keyboard . I don't believe in saying anything here that I wouldn't say to someone's face , and apparently you agree with me .

OK , no problem , I have more respect for you now , I just don't like people who criticize behind a keyboard . I don't believe in saying anything here that I wouldn't say to someone's face , and apparently you agree with me .

Lol, no problem... I'm sure when I see him come Christmas dinner I'll have an interesting conversation with him about this very topic. Again though, I played with Coach Stanley as he was a class ahead of mine & can tell you he was a really good player which is why I feel would be a better coach b/c of it. It's unfortunate though as we had an "above average" team his Sr. year or I think he would have had a lot more attention as a college prospect.

I will say this though about that group of players. My team learned a lot from that class about hard work & continuing the Red Rebel tradition. We were the 1st since '78 to go undefeated in the regular season b/c of those lessons learned & if not for 4 MAJOR injuries to our best skill players, we would have been the 1st class to win a state title as opposed to Toki's class of '99 doing so years later...

Edited by JSamson7

I will agree that this Alcoa Middle School team was a good team and had a great season. But to say they are the "best of all time" , NOT EVEN CLOSE. This is the first "Championship of any kind won by this Middle School coach and team. I do not think Coach McClurg was the head coach the last time Alcoa won the Middle School title. Coach McClurg and several of these kids were at Eagleton for the Grasshoppers / Peewee / and Midget league. They never won the Superbowl. These Maryville 8th Graders who started out with Coach David Hunt as a 7 year old grasshopper have finished their past 8 years of football with a record of 75 wins and 4 losses / 6 Superbowl Championship / 1 Middle School Championship 2010... and are a part of the last 16 wins of the 26 straight wins MMS had going until losing to Sevier Co. Let Alcoa approach 26 straight middle school wins then they can be put in this discussion. Alcoa had the better team this year but they did not blow MMS off of the field. Bad snap and blocked punt hurt MMS ....but they competed hard and in no way did they get blown off the field. Last years MMS team and the team in 2009 were just as dominate as this years AMS in my opinion.

I have read a lot of talk about the MMS coach and I would like to say he has done a great job with these kids. Jay Malone is a good man and coach. He has won a lot of ball games and I may not always agree with every decision, he has been very successful. Its easy to second guess from sitting in the stands.

ok ok so maybe I over stated a little about the best of all time. My son was on this team so to me they are the best of all time. 5star are you saying those Maryville 8th graders played for 6 superbowl championships or won 6? If your saying they won 6 than I know some Fairview Raider fans who would disagree. Looks like our Peewees will not get to defend their superbowl championship this year as they were beaten last night by the Raiders. Our midgets lost to Maryville.

Edited by alcoanation

Thank you , that is all I am looking for. This was not something that I started just off the cuff, to RUN someone down. I know Jay personally as well and he is a good man and so are most of you on here at least the ones of you I know. Politics can be seen very easily. If you are in the school system or have deep pockets your son will play regardless of ability. I have watched kids play that are very shy to hit anyone or could not catch a cold or could not block or tackle etc. I have seen 2nd and 3rd team players give the 1st team fits in inter squad scrimmages and be chastised by the coach or taken out all together. It is pathetic really. The differences that are and have been made do not serve to build team unity.JMO

Edited by weaklink

PEP , sometimes it is better that we do not know who we are, that way there is an uneasy peace. But trust me when I say that I would not be slow to bring it up to him in the right situation as would several others I know of.

your use of the word deserve , is indicative of your disposition.

your guess is half right , I am. A daddy but I don't have one on the team this year. I am upset as well because I hate it for the kids . Solly if you were to do a little watching and listening you would see that what I say is true. As for meeting with you , hum , I mean him I would. If I seriously thought it would do any good but it won't besides I have one on the way up that might have to toil under this same coach if nothing changes over the couple of years. But I have a sneaking suspicion that it may.

So now I'm Coach Malone?

That's funny.

ok ok so maybe I over stated a little about the best of all time. My son was on this team so to me they are the best of all time. 5star are you saying those Maryville 8th graders played for 6 superbowl championships or won 6? If your saying they won 6 than I know some Fairview Raider fans who would disagree. Looks like our Peewees will not get to defend their superbowl championship this year as they were beaten last night by the Raiders. I'm pretty sure our midgets will face the same fate tonight as they play a loaded Raider team. Dang Raiders!! lol

Congrats for your team nation. Enjoy! I will say it. They are the best of all time - man, that was hard to say! The program should be proud. Murvil should be as well because they had a good team this year too. I heard they put it on Lenoir City North pretty good in the consolation game.

I don't want to speak for 5star, but I think (or I could be wrong) he is referring to our redshirted 8th graders who did win 6 superbowl championships. He seemed a little edgy about your post so I bet he will give you the details. We likely have some 8th graders that finished midget ball before the raiders started winning the championships. Kinda like your redshirted 8th graders over there at alcoa that we complained about after your win. LOL!

Don't count out your midget team. I think their coach is the best in that whole league. Alcoa is lucky to have someone with that type of experience running their program. He is a class act. I hope he keeps with it after his kid moves on.