District 14A

volfan007

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not a die hard Greenfield fan, but I am from Weakley County. I do not travel far for games but I go watch when a good team comes to a school that is close to me such as Gleason, Greenfield, Westview. The ref made a bad call and blew his wistle when he should have swallowed it. I have not seen what I would call a great ref this year. I don't know if the ref made the bad call on purpose or not. After seeing him several times, I honestly think he is just that bad. This may have been mentioned because I havent read all the posts, but the game should have never been this close. Humboldt is much more talented, quicker, and athletic than Greenfield. I am not a fan of Greenfield's coach or the way he treats and talks to the kids but he teaches them how to play basketball. :ugeek:

I'm not a die hard Greenfield fan, but I am from Weakley County. I do not travel far for games but I go watch when a good team comes to a school that is close to me such as Gleason, Greenfield, Westview. The ref made a bad call and blew his wistle when he should have swallowed it. I have not seen what I would call a great ref this year. I don't know if the ref made the bad call on purpose or not. After seeing him several times, I honestly think he is just that bad. This may have been mentioned because I havent read all the posts, but the game should have never been this close. Humboldt is much more talented, quicker, and athletic than Greenfield. I am not a fan of Greenfield's coach or the way he treats and talks to the kids but he teaches them how to play basketball. :ugeek:

Thanks for an honest post, that's all I ask.

I also believe the comparison you made between Greenfield/Bradford and Humbolt/Lake County was trying to point out that refs tend to favor the teams that are usually "under-manned or the underdog." I don't think there are many people that will not admit that Greenfield, Gleason, and Bradford which have a higher percentage of "white" kids are not usually as athletic as Humboldt, Union City, and Lake County which have a higher percentage of "black" kids. I may be mistaken, but I think this is what you were trying to say in your original post. "Pulling the race card" is a touchy subject that is easily blown out of porportion and misunderstood. While I don't believe you were intentionally saying, "The ref cheated because they were white and we were black," it could easily be interpreted that way.

Lake Co. plays a great game tonight but come up short at Liberty 64-62 in OT. The best defensive effort I have seen out of the Falcons all year. Our guards forced the liberty guards in to multiple turnovers and liberty took contested shots all night, no dunks or highlight film material in this on. Also, LC held Liberty to I think 6 points in the 1st quarter and were ahead 21-19 at half. The downfall of the Falcons was at the free throw line where they missed 11 free throws I know of during the course of the game and began the game 0-5 from the line. The team never gave up and fought till the end. I hope the boys learn from this game because if they play defense like they did tonight I don't see a team in District 14 or 13 beating them. Key is getting that effort every time out. On another note officiating was not very good tonight I can't believe that is the best the Jackson association has to offer. I am not saying 1 sided officiating but I am saying both sides those guys did not need to be doing a game this big. You have 2 defending state champs can we get a top notch crew for the game?? Come'on man. This week Lake County travels to Humboldt on Tuesday for a huge district showdown and Hosts Greenfield friday and Jackson Southside on Saturday to complete the week. Come on guys let's buckle down and finish strong.

why bring BRADFORD into it if it was not some sort of NON-RACE issue to you. Bradford boys get no special treatment. They have been a non factor for years now. Sounds and smells fishy. Just saying. And please tell us what you meant. Please elaborate.

Come on...give us a little credit, our boys have a come a long way since Glisson arrived. We BEAT Humboldt @ Humboldt. We got knocked around like rag dolls, but our guys kept playing. We played good with UC on Friday night until the last quarter. We play Trenton Tuesday night at Trenton, let's see how that goes. They only beat us by 3 pts the first game.

We, like Greenfield, just have smaller players and that's seems to be the reason we are the underdogs. When the season ends and tournment time comes, I will be for whatever team from District 14A makes it the furtherest. One thing I think we all can agree on, is the fact that District 14A is a tough district.

Last, but not least....Redgold, I to had the same impression about your post as did the other readers.

I also believe the comparison you made between Greenfield/Bradford and Humbolt/Lake County was trying to point out that refs tend to favor the teams that are usually "under-manned or the underdog." I don't think there are many people that will not admit that Greenfield, Gleason, and Bradford which have a higher percentage of "white" kids are not usually as athletic as Humboldt, Union City, and Lake County which have a higher percentage of "black" kids. I may be mistaken, but I think this is what you were trying to say in your original post. "Pulling the race card" is a touchy subject that is easily blown out of porportion and misunderstood. While I don't believe you were intentionally saying, "The ref cheated because they were white and we were black," it could easily be interpreted that way.

I agree .A great effort against a very good team.But to go to Liberty and take them to overtime shows if Lake Co comes to play,should be able to stay with any Single A team in the state,especially with the defensive effort that the players showed tonight.

Edited by mrbigster

I agree it's a very touchy subject, but not a racist subject. If you think about it LC, UC and HBT, have over the years picked with each other about their performance against the less physical teams. Usually these teams, Greenfield, Bradford, SF, are fundamentally sound but lack the physicalness, and are sometimes dominated because they are approached by a " let's just run and gun and have no game plan" coaching attitude. To answer the question "why was the game so close anyway" - none prepared coaching.

Now - at the end of the game the physical and tallent showed up and went ahead. A ref steps in and hands the game to the less physical team because of a call that was no where near correct. Bogus and pulled out of the Air!!! Chasing behind the kid with his hands already in the foul position. Just Bogus could see it coming from a mile away, and was already predicted by the fans.

Greenfield deserved to win, but not by the ref stepping in. They deserved the win because they outplayed Humboldt.

Truly not mad about the loss, but we see the refs determine our outcome in close situations with less physical teams. This is killing our youth which are teenagers just like the youth of their opponents. Our children were so angry just like any other children would have been in that situation.

But that ref did it all night long. So we had to play 8 players due to the favoritism of the refs and not racistness of the refs

I wasnt going to comment anymore on this, but I just want to say one more thing. My friend calls the Greenfield games, so he sits on the opposing side of the gym. The other teams fans are sitting behind him. I sit on the Greenfield side, of course. In just about every game, the opposing fans are screaming about the refs ripping them off, being unfair, cant see, etc, etc, etc. While, at the same, exact time, on the Greenfield side, sitting behind me and around me, the Greenfield fans are screaming about the refs ripping them off, being unfair, cant see, etc, etc, etc. lol.

And, I'm sure that this is true in just about every gym in every high school across not only our state, but all across the country. EVERYONE thinks that their team is being treated unfair! lol

Both sides cant be true. One has to be wrong. AAUfan is not from Greenfield. My son says that he clearly saw the Humboldt player throw his knee into our player...it was obvious from where he was sitting. The foul was called on the knee being stuck out to trip the Greenfield player. But anyway, the Jackets got the win...our first win over Humboldt in a long, long time....well, it may be our first win over Humboldt ever..not sure.

Come on...give us a little credit, our boys have a come a long way since Glisson arrived. We BEAT Humboldt @ Humboldt. We got knocked around like rag dolls, but our guys kept playing. We played good with UC on Friday night until the last quarter. We play Trenton Tuesday night at Trenton, let's see how that goes. They only beat us by 3 pts the first game.

We, like Greenfield, just have smaller players and that's seems to be the reason we are the underdogs. When the season ends and tournment time comes, I will be for whatever team from District 14A makes it the furtherest. One thing I think we all can agree on, is the fact that District 14A is a tough district.

Last, but not least....Redgold, I to had the same impression about your post as did the other readers.

I was not trying to sell Bradford short. They are a much improved team and will get better the next couple years. I was trying to say that Bradford has got no special treatment in years past because they were getting beat by 30 or more a game. They finally beat Humboldt after years of defeat and someone says that they always get special treatment from the refs. Makes no sense. If a team loses a game its the refs. That seems to be the common trend today.

I agree it's a very touchy subject, but not a racist subject. If you think about it LC, UC and HBT, have over the years picked with each other about their performance against the less physical teams. Usually these teams, Greenfield, Bradford, SF, are fundamentally sound but lack the physicalness, and are sometimes dominated because they are approached by a " let's just run and gun and have no game plan" coaching attitude. To answer the question "why was the game so close anyway" - none prepared coaching.

Now - at the end of the game the physical and tallent showed up and went ahead. A ref steps in and hands the game to the less physical team because of a call that was no where near correct. Bogus and pulled out of the Air!!! Chasing behind the kid with his hands already in the foul position. Just Bogus could see it coming from a mile away, and was already predicted by the fans.

Greenfield deserved to win, but not by the ref stepping in. They deserved the win because they outplayed Humboldt.

Truly not mad about the loss, but we see the refs determine our outcome in close situations with less physical teams. This is killing our youth which are teenagers just like the youth of their opponents. Our children were so angry just like any other children would have been in that situation.

But that ref did it all night long. So we had to play 8 players due to the favoritism of the refs and not racistness of the refs

You still have not said why you brought Bradford into this. The game was at Humboldt so you had the home court advantage that some have posted about with the refs. You also stated you were not at the game. So I do not understand your motivation.