McMinn -vs- Cleveland

TribeFan

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not a McMinn or Cleveland fan (hence the screen name) but I was at the game and the Cleveland fans have nobody to blame but their team. Matter of fact I will just go ahead and say it, Clevelands coaching is awful. Play action pass but there is no running back to fake to. This happened several times. 3rd and 42 and McMinn runs a bubble screen, not only does it result in a first down but a touchdown as well. 3RD AND 42!!! Cleveland tackling was porus all night. (reference previous 2 sentences) Several times Cleveland would run the option but when the qb would look to pitch the rb was IN FRONT OF HIM!!! But the best blooper all night was when Cleveland ran the reverse flea flicker and the qb had nobody to throw to because the intended reciever WAS BLOCKING!!! Furthermore, with the exception of the qb, Cleveland looked unmotivated all night.

As far as the refs, this was the same crew that called the McMinn and Central game. In that game Central got the majority of calls including 3 maybe 4 McMinn TDS called back. This crew has no McMinn "home cooking" in them what so ever.

I just posted in the Cleveland -vs- Soddy Daisy thread that if Cleveland had good coaching they "could" beat anyone in this District with Voytik back there. The playcalling was horrendous for the Blue Raiders and their schemes (like those you mentioned) left a lot to be desired. Unlike the Cleveland teams under Benny Monroe, this group didn't have much heart to them.

Agreed... Cleveland blew it when they hired a guy after one 8-4 season at Soddy. They can do so much better.

Yup :thumb:

You left out Rhea County. They use Chattanooga refs unless they've changed this season.

You're right for basketball, but for football they use the Athens Federation.

Agreed... Cleveland blew it when they hired a guy after one 8-4 season at Soddy. They can do so much better.

Coach slaughter may be struggling at cleveland, but i promise all of you that he knows more about the game of football than nearly any coach in chattanooga. when he was at soddy, he had no problem getting his team ready to play. he took very, very par talent and beat some very good teams. i cant imagine why cleveland would play without passion and fire. having played under him, i know for a fact that he is by the far most outstanding coach i ever had the pleasure to play under. and that includes college. he'll rip into you the second you mess up, but love you like a son when its time to play the game. getting coach slaughter is no mistake.

I dont think this is the first time we have heard that the Athens Refs are crap :roflol: I think that is the consensus from many of the coaches around this area.

Isnt that Slaughter's excuse for every game whether he wins or loses?(check Clev-WV game) If you are averqaging 15 penalties a game in every game, you would think he might want to check his own teams DISCIPLINE!

At some point you have to look at your team and correct your teams mistakes(penalties). Blaming the refs is the easy way out!

Isnt that Slaughter's excuse for every game whether he wins or loses?(check Clev-WV game) If you are averqaging 15 penalties a game in every game, you would think he might want to check his own teams DISCIPLINE!

At some point you have to look at your team and correct your teams mistakes(penalties). Blaming the refs is the easy way out!

I never said anything about an excuse just that we are not the only ones who think those refs are crap. These are the same refs who tossed one of our players for fighting 2 years ago. This would have been justified if he had even been on the field. He was standing on the sideline. I never said they would make a difference in our game but they are a little all over the place sometimes with the calls....maybe they are just not "disciplined".

Coach slaughter may be struggling at cleveland, but i promise all of you that he knows more about the game of football than nearly any coach in chattanooga. when he was at soddy, he had no problem getting his team ready to play. he took very, very par talent and beat some very good teams. i cant imagine why cleveland would play without passion and fire. having played under him, i know for a fact that he is by the far most outstanding coach i ever had the pleasure to play under. and that includes college. he'll rip into you the second you mess up, but love you like a son when its time to play the game. getting coach slaughter is no mistake.

There are some huge problems at Cleveland. The team "looks like Tarzan and plays like Jane". Clearly something is missing. Does Slaughter really run that show? Is he a lame duck? As I understand it he was like the 4th choice in the last selection process. Does EK survive to coach the Blue Raiders next year?

Honestly, the only refs I've ever thought just reeked of home cooking were the ones at Cumberland County years ago(actually witnessed an official high five a kid on a TD run along with ~5 TDs called back for holding). Other than that, I can't really say that I've noticed anything close to bias.

I've seen poorly called games, and sometimes it goes disproportionately against your preferred team... but sometimes it doesn't. We just tend to ignore it when the refs help us, and freak out when they hurt.

Edited by Caban