Williamson County vs Rutherford County

Soareagles

thanks for the correction patriotguy, i couldnt remember who oakland played in the 08 championship game off the top of my head, so 4 out of 5 games won by rutherford cty against williamson cty in the championship game and 14 of 17 yrs that rutherford cty has made an apperance in the big game......the poster who said williamson cty is better then rutherford cty please make the argument against those numbers

The original poster has no leg to stand on in this. Smyrna who won't make the playoffs in 7-aaa this year would run the table in Williamson this year. LaVergne would win a few games in Williamson this year too and they haven't been to a playoff since a kid nick-named A-Rod ran the spread offense there however many years ago that was. Williamson public schools might have an edge in a sport like Lacrosse or something. But certainly not football.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks for the correction patriotguy, i couldnt remember who oakland played in the 08 championship game off the top of my head, so 4 out of 5 games won by rutherford cty against williamson cty in the championship game and 14 of 17 yrs that rutherford cty has made an apperance in the big game......the poster who said williamson cty is better then rutherford cty please make the argument against those numbers

you could even go back to 93, i had forgotten riverdale played in the championship game that year and lost to lincoln county so thats 15 of the past 18 years in the big game, see now i have forgotten more championship games then williamson county has won!!! :roflolk::roflolk::roflolk:

you keep hearing it cause its true! :roflolk: most of the schools you mention are private and recruit, here in rutherford cty the coachs coach up what they are given, since 94 rutherford cty has 8 state championships "riverdale 4, smyrna 2, oakland 2 and 6 runner ups riverdale 5, smyrna 1 and that adds up to rutherford cty being in the state championship 14 times over 17 years and knocking off your williamson cty schools 3 times along the way in the big game, riverdale over franklin in 04, smyrna over ravenwood in 06 and smyrna over indepence in 07 "which smyrna set a record for most points scored in the 5a championship game with 46", brentwood did beat riverdale in 02 ill give you credit for that...... ONE

their was an article that came out last year that district 7-aaa was something like 8th toughest district in the country, not tennessee but in the country

Forgot, Oakland beating Franklin in 2008. Just another example of the superiority of Rutherford County.

I keep hearing that Rutherford County football is much stronger than Williamson County football. I completely disagree. Yes, the public schools in Rutherford County have produced and are still producing some great teams. But, if you take into consideration that Williamson County has Brentwood Academy, Ensworth, Battle Ground Academy, Father Ryan, and MBA pulling some of the best athletes from the public schools, one would have to concur that Williamson County is loaded with incredible athletes too. Rutherford County does not have these kind of schools in their backyard pulling their best athletes away. Anyone else have a take on this?

oh yeah williamson cty ravenwood 0 rutherford cty oakland 49 tonight, congrats to oakland for getting their 6th win and becoming playoff eligable

Right now there is no contest between RC and WC in which is the best football county now. RC is unbelievable with the football they have. WC is no slouch but not an equal. It ridiculous to bring the privates into the argument. That takes the discussion from what is to what if. When you do that, you might as well say what if the metro schools had all of the kids zoned for them in private schools. RC is the best in the state right now.

You guys crack me up. I'll give it to Rutherford County right now. Everything goes in cycles. Williamson will be back on top in a few years, only to give way to Rutherford Co. again. I do agree that the best public school coaches are in Rutherford Co. Once again, I do have to say that the abundance of private schools in Williamson Co. has had an affect on the coaching staffs in the public schools. Hard to blame the coaches. When you are offered $20K-$30K more (some in 6 figures) to coach, you would be crazy to turn it down. This is something I have personally witnessed.

As far as recruiting (which is not allowed), does anyone else see the private schools still seek out and contact prospective players?

Simply put private schools do not care where athletes are. They will find them. For the last several years Rutherford County has been at the top of TN football in 6A. Week in and week out they have to prepare for a tough game, unless they are playing La Vergne or a non-district weak opponent. La Vergne is getting better but still has a long way to go to be with the rest of Rutherford County. The past couple of years Williamson County has been down. Ravenwood has dropped off a great deal, last year Indy was awful, Centennial has always been awful, and even Franklin and Brentwood have struggled compared to the early 2000's. I know Franklin did well last year but even they have been down. If you want to say all of the what ifs then look at Metro. Many of the top athletes from Metro go to the private schools. Take Antioch High alone and all of the kids that attend private schools or even Hillsboro. If Antioch High was to have all of their zoned athletes they would go deep into the playoffs every year.

this is all true but indy and franklin are right up there now and bhs and rhs and chs well not so much... this thursday fhs @ indy for district! INDY NATION!

Edited by 53indynation

From a long-time WillCo perspective; For a long time, Riverdale was the standard bearer for Rutherford County. Oakland came up from time to time and made some noise, but under Rankin, Riverdale was the undisputed leader. At that time, WillCo probably had more depth and would challenge Riverdale from time to time. However, in the last ten years the population exploded in Rutherford- which brought more families and more athletes. Schools like Smyrna, Blackman, and Siegel suddenly got a lot better- which wasn't the case earlier. Rutherford County football has since exploded into dominance.

WillCo grew as well, subdividing great programs (Brentwood and Franklin)and hurting newer programs (Centennial). Had Ravenwood not been created out of Brentwood, the Bruins would have had a couple more gold balls in its case. It is not debateable: WillCo has been in the last few years less talented football-wise than in the late 90's early-mid 2000's. With continued population growth in both counties, it will be up to the school systems as to how they subdivide these schools and whose programs suffer more. Nothing lasts forever.