Columbia central vs Baylor

lion99

Curious. Baylor fans ,is Columbia better than Bradley, you've beat them both what are your thoughts?

In my opinion, it is not even close. Bradley was a threat to score on any play but Columbia totalled just 14 yards of offense in the second half, and needed a 20-yard run on the final play of the game to escape negative numbers. You take away the 5 turnovers (4 inside thier 10 yard line) and the score is significantly different.

I know there is a lot of talk about the different divisions across the state and we have now played one of the top teams in 6A (Bradley)and now the top 5A team (Columbia)and week in and week out D2 is by far the hardest conference in the state. It is not even close. You can't compare the talent level of the teams by box scores or scrimmages because you are rarely going to see a team post 65 or 70 points scored on a D2 opponent. I think that is for two reasons, one is most of theses schools have too many good atheletes to allow that many points and secondly, I think the coaches have too much respect for the other coaches and players to do that to another team. The coaches seem more interested in getting the 2nd, 3rd and 4th team players an opportunity to play and making sure that none of the starters get hurt because it is a long season. The non starters have been there every morning and afternoon for practices and work outs plus all the summer workouts just like the starters and deserve the chance to play on Friday Nights.

Hoganknows :popcorneater:

39-20

Columbia failed to cross mid-field in the second half and needed a 20 yard run on the final play of the game to have 5 net yards of offense in the second half.

Baylor also had 5 turnovers and still wins by 19 :popcorneater:

Quit acting like it was a blow out. I'm sorry Columbia doesnt have enough players to have the depth to play 4 quarters with a team that brings in top talent because of the quality of the school. But don't downgrade them on the 5a level. Baylor is not 19 points better than Columbia. And maybe if the officiating wasnt so sloppy it coudve been closer. You wanna talk about how bad Columbia's offense is? Why dont you mention the fact that BAYLOR's offense turned the ball over 5 times. Columbia should still be the top team in 5a.

• Upvote 1

Quit acting like it was a blow out. I'm sorry Columbia doesnt have enough players to have the depth to play 4 quarters with a team that brings in top talent because of the quality of the school. But don't downgrade them on the 5a level. Baylor is not 19 points better than Columbia. And maybe if the officiating wasnt so sloppy it coudve been closer. You wanna talk about how bad Columbia's offense is? Why dont you mention the fact that BAYLOR's offense turned the ball over 5 times. Columbia should still be the top team in 5a.

I suppose you are right GG25. If Baylor doesn't turn it over 3 times in the red zone (twice inside the 5 and once at the 15) they may be 40 points better than Columbia.

Columbia is a great 5a program. D2 is a different level.

Best of luck to both teams. I think we may see both in Cookeville.

well, I will give you an unbiased persons opionion. I am not a Baylor fan, I just went to watch a good game and usually root for the public schools over private schools. I thought there were some terrible calls that went in Columbias favor. Baylor got called for a facemask that didnt happen, Columbia interfered with a fair catch on a punt and they didnt call it, there were several questionable spots that went in Columbias favor but the worst was the long pass you completed on Baylors sideline. The kid was 2-3 steps out of bounds before he gained control of the ball. The game was much more of a blow out than the score showed. I dont think anyone is trying to put down Columbia but maybe some of the earlier posts about how good they are and how they whip Ensworth in a srimmage every year riled some people up. Baylor had almost 400 yards of rushing. Imagine how many yards they would have had without the turnovers. Probably 600 yards of rushing. They did this without a starting lineman, their starting tailback and their #1 receiver (according to the guy sittng beside me who kept informing me of that all night, lol). A team that gets 5 turnovers should win or atleast be in position to win, especially a team self proclaimed as the best or one of the best in the state. I thought most of the turnovers were very bad turnovers. The Baylor qb threw one right to the small Columbia player on the pick 6, he threw another ball up for grabs that shuld have never been thrown. Other than the first drive Columbia did nothing other than a lucky questionable catch and the pick 6. The game could/ should have been about 60-6. I think Columbias passing game looked good when they had time. They just simply got whipped on the line of scrimmage all night. They probably would have been in the game if they had more time. I think against a team without such a dominant line they will do very good as i was impressed with their qb and wr's.

well, I will give you an unbiased persons opionion. I am not a Baylor fan, I just went to watch a good game and usually root for the public schools over private schools. I thought there were some terrible calls that went in Columbias favor. Baylor got called for a facemask that didnt happen, Columbia interfered with a fair catch on a punt and they didnt call it, there were several questionable spots that went in Columbias favor but the worst was the long pass you completed on Baylors sideline. The kid was 2-3 steps out of bounds before he gained control of the ball. The game was much more of a blow out than the score showed. I dont think anyone is trying to put down Columbia but maybe some of the earlier posts about how good they are and how they whip Ensworth in a srimmage every year riled some people up. Baylor had almost 400 yards of rushing. Imagine how many yards they would have had without the turnovers. Probably 600 yards of rushing. They did this without a starting lineman, their starting tailback and their #1 receiver (according to the guy sittng beside me who kept informing me of that all night, lol). A team that gets 5 turnovers should win or atleast be in position to win, especially a team self proclaimed as the best or one of the best in the state. I thought most of the turnovers were very bad turnovers. The Baylor qb threw one right to the small Columbia player on the pick 6, he threw another ball up for grabs that shuld have never been thrown. Other than the first drive Columbia did nothing other than a lucky questionable catch and the pick 6. The game could/ should have been about 60-6. I think Columbias passing game looked good when they had time. They just simply got whipped on the line of scrimmage all night. They probably would have been in the game if they had more time. I think against a team without such a dominant line they will do very good as i was impressed with their qb and wr's.

What about the Pass pass interference on Columbia's Belew that wasn't called? What about the MANY late hits the Baylor O line was proceeding with right infront of the referees. Supposidly the ref told the players that toppling a player was "just football." You obviously are not being true to your word and are definitely being biased. And yes Baylor deserved to win the game. You can't say Columbia isn't on the same level when they physically stopped them on a goaline stand with lineman half the size of Baylor's. Baylor's offense is solid all around athletically wise but needs to take more control of the ball. The comparison between the two were Baylor had better lineman. But Columbia had better skill players. Unfortunately for CCHS is that the hefty boys took a bigger role in this game. Hats off to Baylor I wish them the best of luck. I am rooting for them to win State. Great coaching staff and great talent. Columbia Central also has a great coaching staff and great talent. But once again with Columbia's talent...I still believe they are the best in 5a. Can't judge them off playing private schools because public doesn't hand pick their players. D2 schools should be better than private. We'll wait and see but I see Columbia and Baylor coming home with Rings this DECEMBER!

LOL, If Baylor is so great, how why did they turn it over 7 times, give Columbia some credit for creating turnovers, that is like saying if Baylor had not scored three of their touchdowns COlumbia would have won.

Come on prophet, you know better than that! 7 turnovers is horrendous, therefore that's not saying much for Baylor. But on the other side of the coin, if you can't beat a team that gifted you the ball 7 times its pretty apparent that Baylor must be talented enough to overcome some pretty egregious mistakes. Jeez, they held Columbia to 0 second half yards while piling up over three hundred. I would say that is a team on another level. Then again, its just my opinion.

I stated in another post, I dont think 8AAA is as good as advertised. Columbia is a good 5A team, but I would have to rank them 4th at best. I say Henry Co takes the gold ball. Tullahoma and Shelbyville have beat a bunch of bad teams, Columbia has beat Dickson Co and Marshall Co. Other than that it's a lot of wins against awful competition. The playoffs may prove me wrong, just my observation at this point in the season.

I stated in another post, I dont think 8AAA is as good as advertised. Columbia is a good 5A team, but I would have to rank them 4th at best. I say Henry Co takes the gold ball. Tullahoma and Shelbyville have beat a bunch of bad teams, Columbia has beat Dickson Co and Marshall Co. Other than that it's a lot of wins against awful competition. The playoffs may prove me wrong, just my observation at this point in the season.

Everyone can believe what they want to believe. Just hard to not favor a repeat appearance State Championship team that is 7-1 and competed against a D2(recruited) school. As the way it looks right now it wont can't be Powell and CCHS in the champ game cause they might be in the same bracket but I think that will be the state championship game. Whoever wins with Columbia against Powell will have great momentum in playing Henry county if it is them at state.

Everyone can believe what they want to believe. Just hard to not favor a repeat appearance State Championship team that is 7-1 and competed against a D2(recruited) school. As the way it looks right now it wont can't be Powell and CCHS in the champ game cause they might be in the same bracket but I think that will be the state championship game. Whoever wins with Columbia against Powell will have great momentum in playing Henry county if it is them at state.

Well, Mr Gridiron I'm from Memphis and don't know anything bout Columbia or Powell. But I know plenty of the likes of Henry County. Momentum not gonna do it against them. And from what we hear down this way is that they line is much better than in years past. Sounds like you are underestimate them, just like melrose did back in the days they were tops. One of my teams ridgeway is gonna get they taste soon enough. If you can't play Baylor any better than you did, you be in for a long night. They won't give you 5 or 7 turnovers. But good luck. Got finish the rest of season first!