BA at Father Ryan

WesVLT

A lot has been brought up about fact or oppinion so let me explain myself. I do not work in admissions nor do I have a child on financial aid at one of these schools so all my comments on that were obviosly not facts witnessed by my own eyes. To me after talking to some of the people I have and what they have told me they become facts because I trust them and believe they would know. I understand why you think that may be a bunch of crap. With so many kids on financial aid and coming from all around the city and other communities sometimes 30 miles outside the school I am surprised that none of you think that even one of those kids has been contacted improperly. I find it hard to believe that people that live so far from a school would contact the school apply for financial aid and then ask that a bus comes a picks the kid up. To me it seems much more likely that that would be offered. I will tell you that I am not ignorant and the only act of ignorance would be for me to continue this further as it will go nowhere but a bunch of name calling. The only thing that would make any difference would be a scandall to come out in the papers. This will be my last post on this and I probably won't check these boards for a while. But next time your at a middle school game and you see a coach from one of these schools there or when you here about the kid from public shool a little north of here transfering to one of these schools just think about it.

Sorry to have ruffled so many feathers, I am actually a nice guy but these were my beliefs on the subject. I suggest everyone goes back to talking about the fun stuff like this frifday's games.

There is one thing that you are right about and that is there are live pipelines into some of the schools. Let me explain to be perfectly clear: there are some coaches in some parts of our community who make sure the best players get to visit the best athletic private schools and the kids end up attending. This has been going on for quite some time back to the mid sixties when the BGA bus stopped every morning on Franklin Road in front of Overton High School. Cross town playing picked up in the seventies when kids from Madison went across Nashville to BA and I played against them from junior pro through high school. The pipeline continues to this day in many schols. I am not saying it is wrong or illegal or a rules violation, I am just saying that some of the kids do not just show up by accident. If there is money paid for players to attend school other than legit financil aid, I do not know anything about it.

Each school likewise tries to get the best students and BA, Ensworth and MBA compete against each other for many of the kids from the area private schools. I experienced that first hand. Nothing illegal again-they have to fill the ranks and want the best they can get.

I'm sure if recruiting wasn't such an issue, then the hole debacle that made MBA look so pathetic during this year would never had occurred. Sure, you can blame politics on what happened, but in the end, the school essentially found recruitment violations within its football program, and unfortunately MBA's ex-coach was the one who caught all the blame for it. However, the method is all the; it was recruitment that became karma.

But recruitment is hardly something to be worth noting in D2 Tennessee football. The top D2 schools can not compete with the elite schools outside the state, and more D2 schools have begun recruiting as well.

Look at FRHS and some of the Memphis schools.

The truth is....a student and his family living in one of the many middle Tennessee zip codes has an opportunity to attend BA, MBA, Ensworth or Ryan. They apply for financial aid, the student tested and screened, W2's and tax returns filed, they take school visits looking at the whole package. A clearing house reviews the family finances to determine if financial aid is warranted and the amount awarded if needed. (need based financial aid) The young student has played youth football and wants to play for one of the above private schools. His family sees football potential in their son and would look for the best football programs. Ryan would probably be left out. Because the student and family are looking for the best overall package, academia and athletics. BA, MBA, and Ensworth would edge out Ryan. So I would suggest Ryan improve their football program, then they might see the return of young students athletes with potential. These private schools and all of their programs (athletic, fine arts, academic) recruits the student and family. So there is your recruiting admission. If you don't like the truth, stop the financial aid and go play DII A.

excellent post and 100% correct

Alas, this will be another one sided affair as the Eagles will be too much for the Irish....I`ve seen 3 Ryan games this year and their Offense is inconsistent and there defense is not bad, but tends to wear down as the game goes on............I sense that a level of mediocrity has set in to the Ryan football program. Their coaches don`t inspire much excitement among the players. The coaching staff has kind of a "metro school" mentality where they are settled into their jobs with no threat of losing them no matter how the season goes.....I think they know where their place is in Division II East/Middle and there is not much they can do about it , so they accept it and move on....The administration doesn`t see it as a big problem because the overall athletic program is in pretty good shape.....a good percentage of the student body participates in at least one sport and that IS important to the powers that be.....So I suspect the football program will continue on it`s current path, give or take a season here and there where they may knock off an upper tier opponent and jump up a notch or 2 (like 2 seasons ago.........One thing that hasn`t changed much over the years is that the stands are pretty full for all of the home games. The on campus stadium is beautiful and lends itself to being a fun place to come renew friendships and root the Irish on.....That`s why I enjoy coming back.

HOW DARE YOU! the coaching staff at father ryan has done a fine job with the mediocre rabble that they were dealt. the schemes are right... the players just don't execute. I don't believe what I'm hearing... if it weren't for the fine coaching staff there wouldn't even be a program at that school. Obviously if they had REAL athletes to work with then who knows... they would probably be in the state semi-finals.

The truth is....a student and his family living in one of the many middle Tennessee zip codes has an opportunity to attend BA, MBA, Ensworth or Ryan. They apply for financial aid, the student tested and screened, W2's and tax returns filed, they take school visits looking at the whole package. A clearing house reviews the family finances to determine if financial aid is warranted and the amount awarded if needed. (need based financial aid) The young student has played youth football and wants to play for one of the above private schools. His family sees football potential in their son and would look for the best football programs. Ryan would probably be left out. Because the student and family are looking for the best overall package, academia and athletics. BA, MBA, and Ensworth would edge out Ryan. So I would suggest Ryan improve their football program, then they might see the return of young students athletes with potential. These private schools and all of their programs (athletic, fine arts, academic) recruits the student and family. So there is your recruiting admission. If you don't like the truth, stop the financial aid and go play DII A.

I don't think this part you wrote about schools having better academic programs is accurate at all. You probably assumed that FRHS's academic program is worse than these other schools, but you certainly have no evidence to back it up. If you do have evidence to assert this, please post it now. Otherwise, you shouldn't be making assumptions like this, it's as classless as MBA's administration debachle this past year, the fact that number BA alum were arrested at Auburn and Knoxville on rape charges, and Ensworth being too recent of a school to establish any long-term tenure student success. For examples to support what I just said, please refer to the past 2 pages of threads on D2's coacht's forums.

According to Father Ryan's website, 100% students graduate, and 99% go on to post-secondary education - http://www.fatherryan.org/page.cfm?p=235 (source <-----)

But please, continue to make these ridiculous assertions about academics and athletics. Oh, and remember, football is not the only sport played in D2, and unless your team is Ensworth, then no Middle School TN football program has done anything note-worthy.

The 'elite mentality' that some D2 alum express on this site is ridiculous. There's no rhyme or reason that you guys should compare yourself or proclaim yourself better than any other school. That's classless, 100% of the time people say things with no evidence (perhaps to boost their own ego), and you dawn an ugly impression on the D2 schools that strive hard for academics. So do yourself a favor and don't make these assertions on a public forum

I don't think this part you wrote about schools having better academic programs is accurate at all. You probably assumed that FRHS's academic program is worse than these other schools, but you certainly have no evidence to back it up. If you do have evidence to assert this, please post it now. Otherwise, you shouldn't be making assumptions like this, it's as classless as MBA's administration debachle this past year, the fact that number BA alum were arrested at Auburn and Knoxville on rape charges, and Ensworth being too recent of a school to establish any long-term tenure student success...The 'elite mentality' that some D2 alum express on this site is ridiculous. There's no rhyme or reason that you guys should compare yourself or proclaim yourself better than any other school. That's classless...

I probably am not alone in seeing the irony of this response, given that, by (1) pointing out one school’s administrative issues, (2) focusing on the legal entanglements of another school’s alumni, and (3) making an inference to a third school’s short existence as a reason to exclude it in a discussion of the merits of one school versus another – all with an underlying implication that the fourth school in the discussion has not been subject to any of these dynamics, past or present – you are participating in the same comparison and effectively making a similar proclamation of superiority that you yourself have deemed so “classlessâ€.

Personally, I’d recommend waiting before deciding to respond with the requisite flame to this response. I have a hunch that plenty of people will take you to task far worse than this.

I don't think this part you wrote about schools having better academic programs is accurate at all. You probably assumed that FRHS's academic program is worse than these other schools, but you certainly have no evidence to back it up. If you do have evidence to assert this, please post it now. Otherwise, you shouldn't be making assumptions like this, it's as classless as MBA's administration debachle this past year, the fact that number BA alum were arrested at Auburn and Knoxville on rape charges, and Ensworth being too recent of a school to establish any long-term tenure student success. For examples to support what I just said, please refer to the past 2 pages of threads on D2's coacht's forums.

According to Father Ryan's website, 100% students graduate, and 99% go on to post-secondary education - http://www.fatherryan.org/page.cfm?p=235 (source <-----)

But please, continue to make these ridiculous assertions about academics and athletics. Oh, and remember, football is not the only sport played in D2, and unless your team is Ensworth, then no Middle School TN football program has done anything note-worthy.

The 'elite mentality' that some D2 alum express on this site is ridiculous. There's no rhyme or reason that you guys should compare yourself or proclaim yourself better than any other school. That's classless, 100% of the time people say things with no evidence (perhaps to boost their own ego), and you dawn an ugly impression on the D2 schools that strive hard for academics. So do yourself a favor and don't make these assertions on a public forum

Custer, in your attempt to make a last stand in defense of Father Ryan, you've run into Crazy Horse and Sitting Bull -- in this case, "truth" and "honor."

Anyone with a sense of the truth would agree that BA, MBA and Ensworth offer more complete experiences for football players, not with regard to academics, but when it comes to the "total package." No one has claimed that Ryan has inferior academics -- read that post again. On the contrary, we've asserted that any young man wishing to enjoy top-notch academics AND football would be best served to attend BA, MBA or Ensworth.

Anyone with a sense of honor would see the folly and unfairness in using isolated examples to paint a picture of an entire school. Judge any entity by its worst specimen and you'll reach some ghastly, false conclusions. Yes, that includes Father Ryan.

The ironic nearsightedness of your words is a poor reflection upon the school you defend.