Roland Genesy/Millington

dou

saw him play against a good team...good rb, not close to best in state...altho, millington has no passing game so good teams will load the box and limit his ability..he does run all over the weak opponents millington plays tho..ill be interested to see what he does against Arlington who has proven to have a formidable defense this year

Well he did a number on Arlington defense which I think is a very good defense with some good players on it... Webber hurt them as well... 14 carries for 108 yards...

Well he did a number on Arlington defense which I think is a very good defense with some good players on it... Webber hurt them as well... 14 carries for 108 yards...

Yes he did...will admit when wrong...#36 definitly deserves attention he hasnt received..if Millington makes a run in playoffs he will have a chance to rush for 2000+ yards..that alone puts him in elite category

All these running backs listed as top in the Metro Area played weak teams as Millington has. Roland could easily have as much or more yards as Kimbro... Coach Michaels isnt trying to pad stats agaisnt those teams. Again Roland is as good as any of those backs listed. Its just fun to watch Roland play he doesnt try and juke he runs thru the defense. If ya havent seen him in person come out on next Friday night and check him out. Will be a big game vs Arlington for the District Title. I think Senator and the other guy who seem negative toward Genesy will have a change of mind.

millingtonfan2007, this commentary I'm about to make isn't directed at you, but it's directed to the philosophy of thinking that I just highlighted. I hope you don't take offense to the comments that I am about to type because what I'm about to elaborate on is not a direct assult on you. Please, do not take it that way.

I know that there are a lot of people who think that padding stats isn't what should be done. I agree, it is noble to pull your player when you know your opponent is beaten. I initially thought that way as well, until I watched a man coach his team with a different mind set. He left his starters in games that were total blowouts. He wouldn't pull them until midway through the 4th quarter ... sometimes late in the 4th quarter, even though the game was well in hand in the 1st quarter. I use to sit in the stands and listen to the alumni and fans get disgruntle at this coach saying ... "Why is he keeping his starters in the game, they could get hurt on a fluke play" ... or they would say ... "Let the 2nd string get some action and sit the starters" ... or they would bemoan loudly and often ... "He's just trying to run the score up! ... Get those starters out!" ... and on and on came the comments. He was trying to embarass the other team some would say. Others would say ... "He's just trying to get recognition for himself" You heard all kinds of things as to why the coach did what he did. He didn't explain himself to anybody.

At the end of the season, his players had big stats. WR's consistently had 1,500 to 1,700 yards receiving. RB's consistently had 1,500 to 2,000 yards rushing. DE's had 10 to 12 sacks. DT's had 15 to 20 tackles for a loss. His players were consistently at the college football camps in the summer for high school football players and thier stats from the previous year went with them.

He realized something very early in his coaching career that most of us already know, but we refuse to acknowlegde. Win games and STATS MATTER! As a result, he had the big schools constantly at his school's games to see his star players which often resulted in those schools offering scholarships. It was common practice to look out in the stands to see UT recruiters decked out in Orange ... or LSU people in their Gold and Purple, or Alabama recruiters in their colors. Where the big schools go ... the smaller ones are soon to follow. The Arkansas State's and the Tennessee Tech's were there as well.

You can be a coach who takes the high road and pull your star player. You may or may not have any major schools recruit him. Depending on how his Sophmore and Junior seasons went. Or ... you can leave your star player in the game a little longer and pad his stats ... and watch and see who comes to take a look for themselves. Who knows ... when they come to see your star recruit ... someone else on your team may catch their eye as well.

I'm not saying that all coaches should do this because at the end of the day we have to be true to ourselves. I am saying this however, that padding stats isn't a bad thing either. Roland Genesy with 2,000 yards at the end of 10 games is much more impressive then Roland Genesy with 1,300 yards after 10 games. Roland Genesy with 2,000 yards at the end of 10 games has Bama, UT, Ole Miss, Ark, and a host of others trampling the grass at Millingon Central and at the same time RG is hands down the Back of the Year in 6A. Hands down.

It's a paradigm shift in thinking. The naysayers will come. The negative comments will come. Scrutiny will be intense. Other coaches WILL HAVE ISSUE with you doing this. They will think you are trying to show them up. Some will get mad and stop speaking to you at other social events that coaches all attend. You will make enemies doing this. Others will just think and say that you are not showing any class when you do this. The coach who does this will have these issues, and more, to contend with.

The results however, will have a significant impact on the program as a whole.

Edited by kwc

Very untrue statement.... Yea those stats may look good at the end of the season but if you ever are a part of a Division 1 program and you talk to the coaches that actually recruit you.... They hate coming to see you play in a blowout game because there not see your adversity.... They are not seeing how you play win your down 20 points, do you give up or do you keep fighting... Are you encouraging your team or are you pointing fingers.... I personally know 1 recruiter from the SEC and they hate to come to games where they know it will be a blow out or to see the guy they recruiting on the field still in the game when your up 45-0.... That's why they ask your head coach in advance which game do you think will be your toughest game, that's the game they wanna watch!!! 1 thing you gotta understand.... Some programs will always bring in Top notch schools because they generate good athletes year after year... Most recruiters are not impressed by how that player handles himself when they are winning, they are impressed how he handles himself when faced with adversity or in a big game or can you count on that person when your down an need him to block for another running back or is he to selfish...

Very True Comment actually...except for a few exceptions maybe, most recruiters watch film or highlight videos on these guys rather than come to the games. they also bring them in for visits and YES they do look at stats... so therefore, stats at the end of the year do matter..not to mention that it prepares your starters to play four quarters, so when they are asked to they have the stamina/physicalatity to do so..You dont see colleges and NFL teams pulling their starters at end of half or even after 3rd quarter..Why? because Stats do matter.its half if not more than half the reason we keep up with them in first place...and moreso your preparing your starters.Now, understandably with a few minutes to go in game, sure pull your starters..but Fridays are these kids "paydays". let them have what they have worked hard all week for.

Very True Comment actually...except for a few exceptions maybe, most recruiters watch film or highlight videos on these guys rather than come to the games. they also bring them in for visits and YES they do look at stats... so therefore, stats at the end of the year do matter..not to mention that it prepares your starters to play four quarters, so when they are asked to they have the

stamina/physicalatity to do so..You dont see colleges and NFL teams pulling their starters at end of half or even after 3rd quarter..Why? because Stats do matter.its half if not more than half the reason we keep up with them in first place...and moreso your preparing your starters.Now, understandably with a few minutes to go in game, sure pull your starters..but Fridays are these kids "paydays". let them have what they have worked hard all week for.

Yea you do see college teams pulling their players... And I didn't say stats didn't matter, I said when you up 45 points that doesn't impress a college coach to keep your star player in the game and keep giving him the ball... Most college recruiters will leave a game assuming that the star wouldn't or shouldn't be on the field anymore... I'm not going off an opinion, these are words from the mouth of an actual person that's an actual recruiter in the SEC... And keep them in the game 4 quarters if your up to see if they can play four quarters?? What?? If your up 35-40 points your starters should not play at all in the 4th quarter.... And NFL is a totally different market... They are getting paid!!! And I was watching the UCF and Memphis game Saturday, they took their starting QB out in the 3rd Quarter... LSU against Auburn.... Took Lee out at the end of the 3rd quarter... Oklahoma vs Baylor, Blackman was taken out of that game... So in college they do take them out cuz they dnt wanna risk a guy getting hurt while you up 35 or 40 points.... And the off season prepares players to play 4 quarters not keeping them in when they up 40

Very untrue statement.... Yea those stats may look good at the end of the season but if you ever are a part of a Division 1 program and you talk to the coaches that actually recruit you.... They hate coming to see you play in a blowout game because there not see your adversity.... They are not seeing how you play win your down 20 points, do you give up or do you keep fighting... Are you encouraging your team or are you pointing fingers.... I personally know 1 recruiter from the SEC and they hate to come to games where they know it will be a blow out or to see the guy they recruiting on the field still in the game when your up 45-0.... That's why they ask your head coach in advance which game do you think will be your toughest game, that's the game they wanna watch!!! 1 thing you gotta understand.... Some programs will always bring in Top notch schools because they generate good athletes year after year... Most recruiters are not impressed by how that player handles himself when they are winning, they are impressed how he handles himself when faced with adversity or in a big game or can you count on that person when your down an need him to block for another running back or is he to selfish...

GarciaD ... Thank you, because you just helped me make my case. What am I talking about you say? I'll tell you. Let's just take your SEC recruiter friend as an example. You are the coach at Millington Central and you are asked the same question that I highlighted in the text above. What game would you have suggested? Why, the Millington vs Arlington game of course ... right? Well ... what did Mr. Genesy do in that game? Why, he carried the team on his back with 195 yards and 5 TD's against a tought opponent in adverse conditions. I mean ... the situation was so bleak because Millington could not pass the ball at all. 0 passing yards. Which means Arlington loaded the box because Millington's pass game does not exist. Double overtime at that! Do you think the SEC recruiters would have seen the type of character Mr. Genesy displayed in that game? Do you think the SEC recruiters would have seen his team first attitude in that game? Of course they would ... Stevie Wonder would have seen it! What he did was very impressive. Just imagine how much more impressive it would have been for him to be breaking the 2,000 yards for the season mark in that game as well. Can you imagine the stir and buzz the Millington Central program would have if Mr. Genesey would have performed his herculean task with SEC recruiters there personally to witness it? I'm not saying that there wern't any there, but I don't get the impression that there were any there. There wouldn't be any issue marketing Mr. Genesy for back of the Year in 6A either. Heck, he would have probably won the award on that performance alone, provided he had the stats to back it up. 2,000 yards on the season would have done just that!

I know you don't agree with the premise ... and that's ok ... we can agree to diagree ... that's what makes these forums so great ... the dialogue and discussion. But this is still true, whether you like it or not. STATS MATTER!

I would have to disagree...id say a majority of the time coaches are leaving there starters in.and i know the BCS has effected this but of course there are instances where it should take place(ex. previous injury, another player needs reps).. and i couldnt disagree more with offseason comment..I think offseason is one of most important parts of season but nothing simulates real game fatigue..And when was last time you saw a college recruit at a high school game? just curious..i mean i kno it happens but not alot

I would have to disagree...id say a majority of the time coaches are leaving there starters in.and i know the BCS has effected this but of course there are instances where it should take place(ex. previous injury, another player needs reps).. and i couldnt disagree more with offseason comment..I think offseason is one of most important parts of season but nothing simulates real game fatigue..And when was last time you saw a college recruit at a high school game? just curious..i mean i kno it happens but not alot

Huh?? In college programs they assign coaches different areas to go scout every week... If you got a player on your team then a college will come to your school to meet with the head coach and come to the game that nite... College coaches dnt want highlight tapes, it's a fact.... Yea they are great and all but highlight tapes doesn't show what a certain player is doing when he doesn't have the ball, or if the play is going the away from them... So trust me the college recruit be at high school games if you got a player worth coming to see.... Cuz they are not gonna offer a kid nothing if they dnt come watch this kid play in person!

GarciaD ... Thank you, because you just helped me make my case. What am I talking about you say? I'll tell you. Let's just take your SEC recruiter friend as an example. You are the coach at Millington Central and you are asked the same question that I highlighted in the text above. What game would you have suggested? Why, the Millington vs Arlington game of course ... right? Well ... what did Mr. Genesy do in that game? Why, he carried the team on his back with 195 yards and 5 TD's against a tought opponent in adverse conditions. I mean ... the situation was so bleak because Millington could not pass the ball at all. 0 passing yards. Which means Arlington loaded the box because Millington's pass game does not exist. Double overtime at that! Do you think the SEC recruiters would have seen the type of character Mr. Genesy displayed in that game? Do you think the SEC recruiters would have seen his team first attitude in that game? Of course they would ... Stevie Wonder would have seen it! What he did was very impressive. Just imagine how much more impressive it would have been for him to be breaking the 2,000 yards for the season mark in that game as well. Can you imagine the stir and buzz the Millington Central program would have if Mr. Genesey would have performed his herculean task with SEC recruiters there personally to witness it? I'm not saying that there wern't any there, but I don't get the impression that there were any there. There wouldn't be any issue marketing Mr. Genesy for back of the Year in 6A either. Heck, he would have probably won the award on that performance alone, provided he had the stats to back it up. 2,000 yards on the season would have done just that!

I know you don't agree with the premise ... and that's ok ... we can agree to diagree ... that's what makes these forums so great ... the dialogue and discussion. But this is still true, whether you like it or not. STATS MATTER!

And the point of this thread was to campaign for him.... We been knowing his capability, but a few people got on here and doubted that he wasn't one of the top backs in the city... So now that all the naysayers believe us now about how talented he is or how he's been Player of the Week 2 out of the last 3 weeks(which it should of been 3 out of 3) in the Commercial Appeal... But you may be right, 2000 does look a lot better than 1700.... But 13 touchdowns in 3 games is also a pretty good stat-line as well!!!